+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Budgets and Expenditure Thread, Sims support rip off! in School Administration; Originally Posted by TeddyKGB I would advise anyone who get their support from Crapita to check the contract for the ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TeddyKGB View Post
    I would advise anyone who get their support from Crapita to check the contract for the upcoming year - just had mine through and it said last year I had "core" support. and that this year I will have core support + admin support for a few hundred extra, which was "ticked" by default! Oh no i bloody wont So I crossed it out and ticked "core" support.
    They tried that on with me last year... think the plus included a couple of remote sessions to check the health of the server..... sorry but I'm not paying extra for someone to look through my event logs.

Thank Post
    Our LA support works using this formula:
    £3350 + (number of supported workstations x £105) + (PupilsOnRoll x £1.80)

We're only trying to have a very limited number of supported workstations - with the rest supported in house.

Thank Post
    SIMS is a lot, not sure how much, never got my head stuck in it, it's like microsoft licensing, it costs alot, just accept it, pay it before you get your IT budget and you've never know, like your internet connect. I've seen people paying for £7k per year for a managed ADSL line!!

Anyway, might just be me, but Capita gives your LEA big discounts for SIMS, because they do first line support. I, personally, don't have trouble with Capita, my calls get a response within a few hrs. The only problem I've had was with 1 case;

Customer was installing FMSSQL, had trouble, he had reinstalled FMSSQL and still was unable to migrate the data, Capita responsed within the hr, but with reinstall SQL Server 2005!!! Which was nuts, as it HAD SIMS .net running on it, and it was term time... Anyway, fixed it in the end.

Anyway, if your that hacked off with paying Capita, or Microsoft, there is other options. Look at Bromcom, they do everything you need to legally do, there are even some free open source MIS packages out there and some cheaper version.

Personally Capita SIMS is the best, execept the fact it costs so much, you don't moan about Cisco, you get Linksys or such.

Thank Post
    We are a large secondary and we only pay about £6k/year as a single site, although we don't have much in the way of extras which is where a lot of the expense is. LM in particular was approx £2k setup + £2k/year licensing last time we asked. The price rises in the last few years have been a tad steep, typically around 10% which is obviously way beyond inflation.

Things like IEP writer and I think Profiles' comment banks are extras too so it can add up. I'm a bit baffled that a school can have enough pupils and addon modules to reach £15k though.

Thank Post
    Didn't he mention some training days and other bits and pieces, that will push the price up.

I think our bill is about 6K though that was last year and we have now dropped FMS/Fees and the old MENTOR products.

Does anyone else actually use the LANDesk thing? Does anyone know what I'm talking about? )

We seem to be paying for it included in the "support" but appart from them remotely accessing my server occasionally, going "oh yes you do have a roust backup strategy and your server is upto date" that's about it and I feel we are wasting the opportunity of getting something out of Capita.

Thank Post
    I don't get why you have LanDesk... just use either Remote Desktop, or Dameware. If you need to access it remotely (ie at home) and you don't have access there are other products that do this, which is a one off hardware cost, about £1500 for a 1u server. No more bills!!! Still this is rather industrial for a school.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by enjay View Post
    What's "silver" support? We just pay a sort of modular price based on which bits we use - our costs aren't anything like £5.5k either, but nor are they 1/3 of that.

Capita offer 3 levels of support for the Isle of Wight region since buying up the LA Support (2007)

BRONZE
    SILVER
    PREMIUM

To be honest, there not worth the paper they are written on; the service you get is sporadic at best; you cant get a visit to save your life... okay, that might be overkill, but local visits are limited now that its down to 1 local chap to visit instead of the previous 2 (cus I left), and he's busy almost all of the time (busy as in sold and yes you guested it, charged, on top of the service you're on), it may sound cheap to start with, but you pay for almost every visit (and thats not cheap either).

Want to change level to get the cheaper deal; they'll charge you £150 for the pleasure - even with notice since September 2009!
    Last edited by DaveIW; 2nd February 2010 at 04:21 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,814 Times in 1,126 Posts
    Blog Entries
    @DaveIW

It is worth pointing out that Capita support a number of places, not just IoW and they might differ. In Northants most of the schools get their support directly from the local team at Capita .ICT and it can range from telephone only through to a complete whole school system (including curriculum systems).

I know a few of the local team are members on here and I'm pretty glad they are ... but if you are not happy with the support then take it back to Capita as not fit for purpose.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumbleDook View Post
    In Northants most of the schools get their support directly from the local team at Capita .ICT
    And previously working for Capita I have met them on the odd occasion; jolly good people if I may say so; "HELLO You lot!!"

You're right, if its not fit for purpose change; (thats why I left), we've also tried talking to them about changing support levels since september 09, but met with negativity and arrogance. We've even looked into getting support from another local authority since our own is not allowed to have a support service since selling out.

Personally I think they should improve on their customer service.

But any who; I was answering a previous question about "What Silver Service", and so answered the question as McCoy is on the Island too (who mentioned it in the first place).

Tally ho for now

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12