+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Budgets and Expenditure Thread, The demise of eLC (E-learning Credits) in School Administration; ...
    Thank Post

Unhappy The demise of eLC (E-learning Credits)

Just a quick note..

Many of you may be aware that the e-learning Credits scheme comes to an end this August.

You must have spent any outstanding eLC’s by then.

There are no eLC credits for 2008-9 so you can only use what (if any) you have left.

Steve

Thank Post
    We never had them to start with

I used to love getting calls from sales staff asking us to spend ELCs with them, the conversation quickly stopped when I mentioned we never had them in Wales

Thank Post
    Hooray \o/

Erm, I mean how sad that staff wont be able to rush out to buy really awful education software to throw at me at the last minute

Thank Post
    I think they have it in the fine print that its a requirement to spend it on totally useless software and give the IT Admins 2 mins to install it.

Thank Post
    Nice, maybe software purchasing will come through me now.
    Although I have been asked by a department for a spare machine to test software on before purchase? Do any of you guys let departments test their own software all be it standalone first! Good/Bad idea possibly?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,451 Times in 1,897 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It isn't that they're going away as such, but the funds are being merged with some other grants which can be used more generally...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    It isn't that they're going away as such, but the funds are being merged with some other grants which can be used more generally...
    Yes, that is what we were told which for me is better control as my line manager is the Bursar.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    For info....

From April 2008, a new Harnessing Technology Capital Grant is being allocated through the Standards Fund. The previously available separate ICT grants for national digital infrastructure for schools [retained by the Local Authority] and e-learning credits [devolved to schools] cease.

Thank Post
    Some other key info:

This is a ring-fenced grant and is available to support schools in delivering the following DCSF priorities:-
    • The upgrade of connectivity bandwidths appropriate to particular circumstances and needs, ensuring learners have good access to internet-based services and resources to support their learning at any time while in school.
    • The extension of ICT access and ICT-based services.
    • the implementation of learning platforms to enable learners to store and access their work and related information and resources on a secure online space, enabling teachers to share resources and view individual progress more easily.
    • Investment in a range of technologies to support classroom-based learning (for example, interactive whiteboards and related tools, and other technologies like data loggers).

DCSF points out that Devolved Formula Capital and School Development Grant are also sources of funds for ICT.

Local Authorities are expected to retain 25% of their allocation centrally to ensure that all schools receive the benefits of aggregated purchasing, including the provision of broadband through regional broadband consortia or their approved suppliers. An additional amount is possible, if schools agree, and there is evidence of efficiency.

There are several national and local priorities which it is suggested these funds be directed towards:-

Learning Platform

DCSF requires all Local Authorities to ensure that every institution is able to offer a personal online learning space, accessible 24/7, to store coursework, resources, results and achievements.

It is expected schools will continue to invest in a range of technologies to support classroom-based learning (for example, interactive whiteboards and related tools, and other technologies like data loggers).

10. Thanks to Sylv3r from:

leco (27th March 2008)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PatBoland View Post
    It could have done anyway - staff here don't spend the (very small number of) ELCs without checking with me.

Although I have been asked by a department for a spare machine to test software on before purchase? Do any of you guys let departments test their own software all be it standalone first! Good/Bad idea possibly?
    Interesting idea. The thing is, so often the problem is not with the application itself but with convincing it to run on a locked-down network, so a teacher installing and testing an application on a standalone "normal" de-restricted PC might give a false sense of confidence about the validity of a program.

Quote Originally Posted by joe90bass View Post
    We never had them to start with

I used to love getting calls from sales staff asking us to spend ELCs with them, the conversation quickly stopped when I mentioned we never had them in Wales
    Similar here - as in indy, we only get a few in our pre-school which have to be spent on pre-school stuff.

Thank Post
    Yes, that is always the case staff do not appreciate the difference between standalone/home PC and network PC's - hence 'the blank' look I get when I try to explain!!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Is it the elc money that has now been re-directed to LA level so they can provide us with "approved supplier" VLE's to replace our existing moodles (which currently offers more features, lower cost, better integration, easier to use....)
    Makes sense.

Thank Post
    Has anyone pieced together what this cessation/new system means to independent schools with pre-school ELCs? As we can only spend the ELCs in the pre-school, so most if not all of the priorities which Sylv3r lists aren't applicable. Does this mean that we will no longer get credits, that we will get the new ones for "general use" but not be able to spend them because we don't have enough, or something else entirely?

Thank Post
    I put an unrestricted PC in the staff room for people to play with trial software - it was never used and ended up dumped on the top of a filing cabinet in the end....and it didn't stop teachers throwing a nasty home copied CD in my desk and telling me to install it by after break ...as if...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,181 Times in 1,616 Posts
    I don't know Nick, but have just banged off an email to KCC to find out what's happening. This change does not only affect independent schools, it also affects all the independent nurseries & pre-schools as well... and there are many!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast