+ Post New Thread
Budgets and Expenditure Thread, Costings for new IT suite in School Administration; Hi All, I've been asked to cost a new IT suite consisting of 31 PC's (including licenses), Interactive Whiteboard, Projector, ...
    Thank Post

Costings for new IT suite

Hi All,

I've been asked to cost a new IT suite consisting of 31 PC's (including licenses), Interactive Whiteboard, Projector, rewiring data and power points and new chairs/desks etc. Are there any other costs that I may be missing ?

Thanks.

MikeW

Thank Post

Re: Costings for new IT suite

Don't forget to factor in managed switches (gig uplinks) and a couple of wifi APs to cover the area. Becta recommend that 90-odd percent of your site should be wifi covered and that all new installs are done using Cat-6 cable! (personally I would use Cat-5e for computer points - * 40 = )

You also need to consider what will be done about replacing the computers when they reach the end of their life - TCO is rather important! Replacement part costs may also be important... spec for optical mice now or pay for new balls in a month's time... Neovo glass-fronted TFTs to stop the kids wrecking them after 5 mins... etc.

Thank Post

Definitely agree with the looking to the future for replacement. A school I helped at before working here had no plans, just bought and ran it till it fell over and was in an awful state. Luckily here they use leasing as much as possible and have a rolling programme.

May seem OTT but you may want to investigate Aircon or some air movement in teh room. Depending on the size and layout of the room 31 PC's will heat it up nicely at the moment let alone in the summer

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

How are you costing the cabling? - outside contractor? is any structural work needed to enable cabling? Is there enough capacity in the existing mains feed? Will the existing cabling/ switching to your server need upgrading to cope with the addition?

You're not being specific. Have you factored in warranties? Can you negotiate set up on desk and remove packaging/ and/or pre imaging?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,783 Times in 1,106 Posts
    Blog Entries

If you are having an IWB / projector then look at sound too ... and although you may have a DVD player in the laptop / desktop you are hooking up to the projector it may be an idea to think about a DVD / Video combi so that you can swap between things.

On the projector, make sure you have one with 2 inputs and that both have cables going to them. Again it can make life a lot easier with demonstrations, and remember, although it is an IT suite you can guarantee that other departments will want to use it. Think of them too.

Thank Post

During the summer break we kitted out a new suite, 28pcs, DVD/Video Combo, Amp, Speakers, Smartboard, Projector, power points, cabinet, switches, cabling (we did the cabling ourselves as we dont use outside contractors for cabling).

At home now, so I cant look up how much it cost us all, but will look it up tomorrow and let you know

Thank Post

First off, I'll second the Air Conditioning, it really is a must. Expect to have to fight for it too! The bean-counters won't see the reasons. Blinds on the windows to a) keep glare down & b) keep the heat out.

As to sound, do it right first time. Our 'contractor' thinks a couple of PC speakers with a sub is good enough for a large classroom. Get a proper amp, and proper speakers. Grumbledook is right about having a seperate DVD player, but I really wouldn't go for a combi. Get a seperate DVD (multiregion) and a video recorder. You may need an amp with video switching or a seperate switch. (looking for some amps myself)

Thank Post

Air-con is a must - we ensure that each new / upgraded room is overcapacity and has 2 units, which cools 30-odd machines + 30-odd kids and means that if one unit goes down, the other can cope. South-facing computer rooms are a daft idea.

If you can, ensure you use rounded figures and add a substantial extras / cockup percentage. SMT prefer you to underspend an approved budget than having to provide additional funds to finish a job.

Quote Originally Posted by Ric_
    Becta recommend that 90-odd percent of your site should be wifi covered
    Seriously? We don't have any WiFi, I haven't allowed it because (until recently) I haven't come across a setup I was happy with (security/cost/signal), and we have 12-inch thick granite-faced internal walls. .

Thank Post

I think all the hardware issues have been covered above but what about software?

Do you have NetSupport software for example?

Just a thought

Thank Post

Here's something Steve and I integrated into our new suites..a hardware "screen kill" option. Basically, 2 mains feeds. Marked sockets, 1 for "CPU", 1 for "Screen". "Screen" sockets run off a heavy duty switch next to the interactive board/teacher station.

If kids misbehave or we want their undivided attention, or even before we go at night, one click is all it takes to kill 35 screens dead. Cheaper than using software to do it, and no "conflict" problems either..the kids HATE that feature..

As to remote assistance, we use RAdmin..handed down by NGFL. Not good, but not terrible.

We also have "self fitted" ceiling speaker systems, wired back to 2 rack-mounted amps in our tertiary switch rack rehind me, with audio inputs taken from each teacher PC.

It may be worth factoring in some form of CCTV as well, if you have light fingered kiddies. We have a p4/3GHz rig next to me running a Geovision GV900 card, and 16 cameras covering our suites and corridors around IT, as well as reception.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,614 Times in 1,444 Posts

SB: Would love some more info on your CCTV setup please.

Ben

Thank Post

OK..it's a custom built p4/3GHz PC, MX4000 graphics, Top end mainboard, 512mb RAM, 250gb SATA drive, DVD/DVDRW drives, running XP Pro as a standalone machine, linked to the network but not "built" for the domain.

It has a Geovision GV900 PCI card for the cameras-link here:

http://www.remote-security.com/gv900.htm

All cameras run dual RG68 power/data cables from location through the roofspace, back to the IT office and the PC, allowing the data and power for all cameras to be provided by 2 laptop power supplies located under my desk.

The included software gives you "thumbnail" camera views, PTZ camera controls(if the cam has it), timed recording, motion detection, object monitoring, web viewer for remote access, e-mail notification etc.

The system is on 24/7, and also does our intranet/booking form serving using Abyss, our CD/DVD ripping and burning, and our VHS->DVD transcoding, as well as running shutdown scripts to power the machines off at night. All while running the CCTV, with no slowdown.

Thank Post

Looks pretty decent, what cameras do you have with that?

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by mark
    How are you costing the cabling? - outside contractor? is any structural work needed to enable cabling? Is there enough capacity in the existing mains feed? Will the existing cabling/ switching to your server need upgrading to cope with the addition?

You're not being specific. Have you factored in warranties? Can you negotiate set up on desk and remove packaging/ and/or pre imaging?
    I spoke to the cabling contactor today to arrange a visit for a quotation, my main concern at the moment is that the teacher who's due to move in there wants to use modular pods/desks rather than benching, these are expensive in themselves and from what I can gather will also involve extra costs running power and data to each seperate pod (7 in total).
    The existing core switch has enough spare capacity to cope.
    Yes I've factored warranties and 2 WAP's into the costings.
    We just could not afford air-conditioning at present - some blinds and UV screening on the windows will have to do at present - both our other suites do have AC fitted, but as has been mentioned in another post I've had a battle with finance (and lost !!)

Thank Post

All the advice seems spot on.... Only things I can add are:

Is the equimpment replacing existing kit? If you you may need to consider the disposal of the old computers... Shouldn't be too costly but worth looking into.

Secondly are the PCs going to be attached to a doman or is it P2P? If it's on a domain you may need to purchase additional CALs?

Rob.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread