+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
BSF Thread, New Build - Project Plan in United Kingdom (UK) Specific Forums; However many power sockets you think you need...add 50% on top Same for network points, and make them 1GB throughout. ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,693 Times in 1,266 Posts
    Blog Entries
    However many power sockets you think you need...add 50% on top
    Same for network points, and make them 1GB throughout.
    Wireless - manages is clearly best...Meru or Ruckus would be my choice, with Xirrus coming in 3rd.
    Make the rooms as linear and symetrical as possible...identical spec equipment throughout.

The others have pretty much covered everything else.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nephilim View Post
    However many power sockets you think you need...add 50% on top
    Same for network points, and make them 1GB throughout.
    Wireless - manages is clearly best...Meru or Ruckus would be my choice, with Xirrus coming in 3rd.
    Make the rooms as linear and symetrical as possible...identical spec equipment throughout.

The others have pretty much covered everything else.
    i use Xirrus at my school and its really good, we looked at lots of other solutions but none were anywhere near as good.

PM me if you want to come and have a look

Thank Post
    I know this might sound like a retrograde step but, does all the ICT funding monies need to be spent at once? The one thing that I have see happen with some new builds is they purchase thousands of pounds worth of equipment/software and don't use it all and wish they had bought somthing else to reflect their teaching etc.

In my opinion departments should be allowed to grow into their new building and decide gradually how many new computers/laptops/devices they would like and what software packages they can start using rather than buying a lot of fancy equipment and then wondering what to do with it. The schools should be driving the technology and not being forced to adapt to someone elses specification (This is one of the pitfalls of LEA designed Managed Service rather than a direct agreement with 1 school and the provider). I would concentrate on getting the infrustructure right and then work with each department to see what enhancements you can make and that they require within budget. I could go on about this for ages but I hope this makes sense.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Have you consider VDI with FAT and Thin clients. TOC is lower and the power bill will be lower as well. You would also have options for delivering applications at home. On a Planning front I would break the 12 months into 4 blocks as the top level then months as the next level.

This is how I would define the first ones:

1. High level what the system supposed to do. (SMT/ICT team)
    2. Technogly investigations (ICT reporting to SMT solutions outline)
    3. Planning with vendor delivering solutions. (Vendor and ICT team)
    4. Hardware deployment. (Vendor and ICT team)

Thank Post
    to be brutally honest, i wouldn't from the start like the idea of such a high density of wireless laptops over fixed pc's. There are charging requirements for all day use with all even the smallest, least powerful netbooks, it then brings up questions whether you'd want to make use of VDI just for ease of management otherwise as others have mentioned, it's a case of networkable charging trolleys and the like for when you need to reimage in bulk.

A managed wireless system designed for high density is a must these days, but i would always favour starting out with a traditional model of predominantly desktop pc's all connected via gigabit with a lower requirement of laptop/netbook computers...obviously teaching staff will each need a laptop which adds to the count and may end up outnumbering the total no. of desktop pc's if you count in shared trollers of netbooks and portables,

i'd also consider looking at 10% thin client where it makes economic sense, 10% apple for new media type work.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,035 Times in 908 Posts
    Currently undergoing a 2M refurb at work, this involves re-doing a lot of rooms and labs and expanding to a 2nd site so been doing this stuff of late, the BETT staff from this year know that well as I had all the plans to look over during the BETT period, its been interesting, never assume is a tip, if the sparky says yes we will do that, get it on paper or better in blood as they often forget, and ensure you get site trained so you can go poking around with them often to check its going correct and point out the mistakes......

Thank Post
    My tips:

Make sure you know the drawings off by heart. If it looks like a point is in the wrong position, get it changed (sounds silly i know but our IT Consultant kept saying drawings were for numbers and the guys installing it would use common sense and spread them out on site). get an understanding of roof heights early on. we had some high level data points put in the most silly places where a room next to each other had different height ceilings.

Get access to the new site early on, I had access to ours as foundations were going in, make an effort to get the builders on your side. this will ensure you have better access later on. (progress photos is a great excuse btw) make the effort to look in every room as the building goes up and especially take note of where data and power is going.

Builders (all trades) can be thick as 2 short planks and will put their dirty kit on anything. photograph ALL installed machines and fixed furniture as they go in and ofc any damage if it happens (photo evidence rules) don't be naive and think the builders will be gone when its your turn to install your equipment. Install minimal equipment to allow building management to work to minimise RISK.

Allocate a room in your existing building (old server room is good if its big enough) for your 3rd party IT Supplier to work in and to pre-stage Server/Core network equipment for the new network and easily test Data migration. again this gives you nice early access to equipment and the engineers that will be building it for you. (allow budget for improved power/security and Insurance cover)

If you are indeed working with a 3rd party to install equipment as soon as they start delivering/deploying to site you need to be working on site too. This is a good time for the rest of your team to step up to the plate and run the old network for a bit. get a work area on site with internet access and VPN back to other building.

Ensure your current data is ready to be migrated. remove any old users and associated data. Have great backups!

Be prepared for worst case scenario of a delayed opening and a 1 week Half term migration its doable with man power but very stressful. (ok ok worst worst case is Xmas break!)

Be prepared for some really long hours, Eat good food and drink plenty.

we had 4 weeks on site support when we went live, ensure any on site support stick to doing the more technical issues if SLT don't like how they've cabled something up, make sure its at the bottom of the list. you'll have to re-cable stuff anyway and its a waste of their time.

And remember you cant be a super hero and do everything! (if your bad at delegating you best learn now!!)
    Last edited by gaz350b; 16th June 2012 at 06:23 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by broc View Post
    Remind them that servers need air conditioning.... & keep on reminding them until you actually see it installed & working!
    oh and get it signed off as complete before installing any equipment to server rooms, some monkey re-programmed our entire site during deployment, server had all equipment installed at this point.
    entire site air con turns off at 7.30pm............. cooks server room. Thankfully someone checked the server room as the site was being locked up at 8pm to find it roasting hot! had a couple of Issues on the SAN but that was it.

Thank Post
    We had visions of wireless being the way ahead, and now we've retrofitted 2 classrooms with network points, and 2 more to follow by Christmas. Look at your plans for laptop management, it has the potential to become a massive headache.

Thank Post
    Fixed is the way ahead

I have 1st hand experinece of Two new Builds with 2 Refits in the last 18 months.

Laptops are a nightmare and we have inteligent lockers that are suppsoed to manage them.
    VDI is OK, but has it's issues.

We had to go through the becta procurement framework as we were spending a LOT of money. Can't say taht I think it's money well spent paying a company so much money to the job, better getting in a few skilled consultants in house for a while .

Rob

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12