+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
BSF Thread, Anyone Work for a Capita BSF School? in United Kingdom (UK) Specific Forums; I just joined Capita a few weeks ago as Onsite engineer quite disapointed with the little task I have to ...

Thank Post
    I just joined Capita a few weeks ago as Onsite engineer quite disapointed with the little task I have to do will try and move to mobile later on

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    "staff do it themselves" seems a little over-hopeful. If you take away all the technical aspects there always the issue of the capabilities of staff using/utilising the equipment/software they have.

Thank Post
    I think even if they did get past the technical side of things they'd never have time to do it all, I know we rib teachers a bit on here but their job is to teach which is the reason we do all the techy stuff, we're good at it.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,800 Times in 1,118 Posts
    Blog Entries
    There is a big difference between being self-supportive as a user, dealing with incidents or minor changes themselves and cutting corners to save on technical staff / cost.

I have seen too many schools (sometimes at the behest of support firms trying to keep work or to poach it from others) go for cheaper options which, generally, have also mean less advice, guidance, support and help.

Documentation suffers ... job tracking becomes ad hoc ... the long term plans of the school get turned into spending money on fire-fighting rather than dealing with problems. So you get schools that might have been at the top of their game being restricted, not by the usual "but the contract doesn't say we do it that way" which can happen under managed services (by no means the norm) but schools are restricted because the risks they used to happily take because they were well managed suddenly become a bit chancy ... and so more risks or cutting corners are taken to try to get back on track ... and it can then all fall down.

Sometimes it is just better to take a step back, aim for something lower and build things up again. Get the planning sorted, know what the school has and where it is trying to go and then crack on. It is not about limiting the school, but about making them aware that if they want to do more it means putting more resources in place or thinking about things differently.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tuns8 View Post
    I just joined Capita a few weeks ago as Onsite engineer quite disapointed with the little task I have to do will try and move to mobile later on
    Whats part of your daily task list then mate?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Crowmanuk View Post
    Whats part of your daily task list then mate?
    Part of daily task has been so far
    * Changing toners
    * Updating tickets on the the capita helpdesk system
    * General problems you get with IWB i.e cable not plugged in, calabrate baord etc.
    * adding user names and password word through a intranet-based console NOT active directory! lol active directory is the backend but your surpose to use the intanet-based one made by the council

Things you dont do are
    * User profile issue tier 2 deals with that
    * Folder Permission you dont do that
    * Exchange is hosted by Lgfl
    * Deploying software is done by the Packaging team

postives are pay is quite good for the little you do also like what KenOBi-D said. Capita is a big company so you can move to different role with IT they have countless different IT job titles lol

7. Thanks to tuns8 from:

Crowmanuk (11th December 2011)

Thank Post
    Sounds like a recipe for brain death, I can't imagine not being busy doing something. We should be having a meeting soon outlining what we will be doing so I'm trying to stay positive even though half the stuff we'd been planning will get scrapped so I'm leaning more towards "what's the point" now.

Thank Post
    Sounds like a recipe for brain death, I can't imagine not being busy doing something. We should be having a meeting soon outlining what we will be doing so I'm trying to stay positive even though half the stuff we'd been planning will get scrapped so I'm leaning more towards "what's the point" now.
    It does get anoying because for example I was previously working for smaller firm supporting a school onsite and I was doing all everything from scripting, AD, basic Exchange, Sophos endpoint console etc now what am I doing now being a "Toner Monkey" lol. I cant do certs like MCSE and MCITP out doing any server work.

thats why after next year I will need to move to a better role within capita

Thank Post
    Jump!!!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12