+ Post New Thread
BSF Thread, BSF RM Technician JD and Salary info in United Kingdom (UK) Specific Forums; Morning All, Our school is being rebuilt under BSF and as a result I will, in 18 months, be working ...
    Thank Post

BSF RM Technician JD and Salary info

Morning All,

Our school is being rebuilt under BSF and as a result I will, in 18 months, be working for RM.

What I am looking for is a job description of what I will be required to do. My boss has already asked the RM HR team but they dont seem to be too forthcoming with the details.

What im really interested in is the salary info. The NM here has just left for a new job and I am now the only one workin here, this means that i have taken on everything that she did plus the work that I was already doing. The school wont be replacing her. The school havent yet talked about a payrise for me but I feel I want to prove myself before I make too many requests.

My boss has 'implied' to me that he would like to pay me the same salary as an RM technician because that means when the time comes for me to tupe accross, I have a much better chance of keeping my job.

Does anyone have this information that they could send me? It would be very much appreciated. At least I will have some idea of what im talking about before I start negotiations.

Thanks

James

Thank Post
    If you are being TUPE'd then your T's & C's will transfer over with you - including your salary...

I transferred over to RM under TUPE back in September and it hasn't changed anything other than my job title (to Customer Support Engineer)
    You should get a JD nearer the time, as well as 1:1 sessions with your new RM employers..

Thank Post
    I understand what tupe means, what it doesnt guarentee is that if im getting paid too much before I tupe, that they will give me a job after. They dont have to transfer my job, only the terms and conditions of my previous employers. They could make me redundant with a week if they wanted to.

Do you have a pay scale or JD that I could look at.

Thank Post
    Not to hand but I'm sure the grades here are E and F - but they overlap a fair bit IIRC- If I find more info I'll pass it on...

5. Thanks to Gatt from:

Admiral208 (27th April 2011)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,206 Times in 759 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Admiral208 View Post
    My boss has 'implied' to me that he would like to pay me the same salary as an RM technician because that means when the time comes for me to tupe accross, I have a much better chance of keeping my job.
    It sounds like your boss is a weasel and is trying to save money by cutting your salary. Consult your union. I'm pretty sure the circumstances in which RM could make you redundant after being TUPEd without it being ruled unfair are more limited than you might think.

Thank Post
    to be honest, I wouldnt ever take a pay cut. I hardly earn anything as it is. This is all to get me a better salary now. Everything thats happening is to get me more money but he and I dont want to make myself too expensive to emply in a years time.

Im not even that concerned about the chance of being made redundant next year. All i want to know is what the average salary is for an RM employee that will be doing the same as im doing now.

Thank Post
    You've got it all wrong mate. RM cannot make you redundant. It is called TUPE for a reason. Transfer of Undertakings, Protection of Employment. The latter is the part where your job is protected. I have done several informal chat sessions with prospective TUPE staff (having been TUPEd to RM myself in 2009). No TUPE staff have ever been made redundant within RM and until recently, only 1 had left of their own accord. If you transfer to RM tomorrow they have an obligation to honour every T&C you have today. Regardless of what salaries you get paid. TUPE staff salaries vary because the LAs have never shown equality (which I have always found utterly stupid!) If your boss is telling you he'd rather give you what an RM Technician might get (which may be more or less - depending on your NM's job) then in my opinion he is trying to pull a fast one on you. Ask for what you deserve and RM will honour it. In fact, RM will even honour a pay appeal if you have one pending after you TUPE over.

RM cannot pay you RM Technician rates. They cannot give you pay rises or bonuses based on RM terms, they have to honour all your T&Cs based on your LA terms. (So you will still get your LA announced pay rises, holiday increments, long service increments, benefits etc)

You are merely asking the very similar questions I was asking when I was in your position. Take everything the LA tell you with a pinch of salt, because our LA were useless at giving us any information. If in doubt, contact your union rep. Mine helped me an awful lot to ensure everything was all above board and it was in my case.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    One thing that must be said is there is a caveat within the Proctection of Employment terms, after TUPE you can be made redundant. Google 'The ETO reason'. My understanding is that the situation must have changed significantly subsequent to the transfer in order for them to use the ETO defence, so the scenario you suggest would be most unlikely to occur.

Other than that I'd go a little further than Zoom: More than a pinch of salt. Take to your union rep all, in writing that your LA and the prospective employer says. Until it is in writing, it's just fluff. This shouldn't be a problem for either side, since the framework is clear and failure to follow the process leaves them exposed to claims, and nobody wants that.

That said it does sound as if your boss is working to ensure that you get both the protection afforded by TUPE and the best pay deal. You really need independent legal advice as to whether this can work. Remember if you accept better T+Cs/Pay from your new employer after you have transferred you are no longer covered by the TUPE framework. This may or may not be an issue, depending on your circumstance.

There may be an issue with you changing your pre-transfer job role and payscales at this stage in the process. The incoming service provider may well have priced the service based on your current salary and JD. That said, they may have also been budgeting for taking the NM too, so you may have some room to manoeuvre. Consider the proposed staffing structure - were there long term positions for a TUPEd NM and Technician?

You should weigh your options carefully, under advice. This requires that you are fully informed. Make sure you are. Do not let either HR team fob you off.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoom7000 View Post
    You've got it all wrong mate. RM cannot make you redundant. It is called TUPE for a reason. Transfer of Undertakings, Protection of Employment. The latter is the part where your job is protected. I have done several informal chat sessions with prospective TUPE staff (having been TUPEd to RM myself in 2009). No TUPE staff have ever been made redundant within RM and until recently, only 1 had left of their own accord. If you transfer to RM tomorrow they have an obligation to honour every T&C you have today. Regardless of what salaries you get paid. TUPE staff salaries vary because the LAs have never shown equality (which I have always found utterly stupid!) If your boss is telling you he'd rather give you what an RM Technician might get (which may be more or less - depending on your NM's job) then in my opinion he is trying to pull a fast one on you. Ask for what you deserve and RM will honour it. In fact, RM will even honour a pay appeal if you have one pending after you TUPE over.

RM cannot pay you RM Technician rates. They cannot give you pay rises or bonuses based on RM terms, they have to honour all your T&Cs based on your LA terms. (So you will still get your LA announced pay rises, holiday increments, long service increments, benefits etc)

You are merely asking the very similar questions I was asking when I was in your position. Take everything the LA tell you with a pinch of salt, because our LA were useless at giving us any information. If in doubt, contact your union rep. Mine helped me an awful lot to ensure everything was all above board and it was in my case.
    That is wrong... you can be made redundant or have your contract terminated if there is "Economic" reasons after being tuped

Thank Post
    I concur with Grommit. I am due to TUPE to RM in two months but have just received a letter informing me of an intention to consult. IE they are planning to make me redundant as part of their wider restructuring.

Sadly it seems that you cannot trust RM's assurances.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread