+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
BSF Thread, BSF - Email from Steve Moss in United Kingdom (UK) Specific Forums; Oh God we are all Doomed!...
    Thank Post

Re: BSF - Email from Steve Moss

Oh God we are all Doomed!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

My thoughts exactly.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,107 Times in 785 Posts

Absolutely on the button Broc.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by webman
    My thoughts exactly.
    The problem is that there is No place for ICT or Network Managers in the BSF and BECTA vision..

and I doubt the Managers will be TUPED accross as we are not low paid technicians that the Managed Service Company would went.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Do they even have a concept of a network manager? Doesn't everyone in this role just come under the "technician" umbrella?

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by webman
    Do they even have a concept of a network manager? Doesn't everyone in this role just come under the "technician" umbrella?
    I was told by my County that I need to" Re-Position Myself" in some other role as there was no future in my present one.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Aahh. They'll probably have you babysitting and/or teaching kids then

Thank Post

I have been following this topic with both horror and interest......

The reports I have read so far have demonstrated BSF (or renamed PFI as it really is..) to be a failiure. The reports stated there to already be a lack of funding in the initial stages, causing delays of several years in implementation. I believe there was also a TV documentary on this a while ago, I forgot the name of it, but its findings showed the the same problems.

Could it be the case, as with many other government initiatives, that this dies a death when the bills start to come in and the government cannot continue funding. Think of how many other initiatives have come and gone. Look at the recent KS3 ICT testing debacle.

It seems to me that there are huge hurdles for the government already to implementing BSF. Including:

- Funding, it is easy to quote huge figures of investment, but how sustainable is it and where is it coming from?

- The LA, local authorities in many areas have a vested interest in keeping ICT away from the private sector, and it seems they have managed to do this very successfully so far.

- Headteachers, from the experience I have seen, a very powerful force. There are many schools that have partnerships and working groups to promote their views, and in our county this has been very succsessful at changing initatives or blocking them altogether.

- The government themselves: The next government may decide that BSF is a disaster and stop it in its tracks.

If this does hit our school (and we are not yet convinced that it will..) We have already discussed the situation and would opt out of the funding.

When you look at the small print, the funding really isnt that massive (based on the fact it seems to be a loan), the money will be managed by the private company (so your £250 workstation, will be billed as £600) etc etc.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,889 Times in 1,170 Posts
    Blog Entries

You have a very brave head if your school has already decided to opt out.

The initiative itself will continue in one form or another ... even if the tories came to power tomorrow it would continue ... the funding has been around for some time in one form or another and will continue to be around for some time ... there are also too many phases either allocated or in place for it to be a nice withdrawl ... it will likely be just rebranded and have a few things changed about the conditions

Heads have a lot of power ... but they need to be kept informed ... and it takes a brave head to ignore politics too.

If you have evidence of the proposals that are to be put in place in your area they would be very much appreciated.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Only in 10 years time will they realise that BSF was a big mistake; and it to join the likes of the KS3 tests, ID card scheme, NHS NPfIT, other government IT systems (tax credits etc) - the list goes on.

Thank Post

The list does go on and on......

CSA, Air Traffic Control, Immigration Control etc etc.

It seems that sometimes it is change for change sakes and most of the time it has to be a radical change and not a evolutionary change.

Any more additions to the initiatives and failures of this present governnment??

Or we could add the successes such as the speed camera stealth tax, now that IS a success.

Alex

Thank Post

We have discussed the possibility of opting out at the school were I chair the governing body. The HT quite rightly says that the parents of the children at school are not going to understand or accept the idea that the school is turning down a £1m+ investment at their school because 'we' don't like the strings that are attached to it; all the parents want is a bright new shiny school, full of bright new shiny equipment because that will make it a 'better' school for their children to learn in.

This is a hard argument to counter for any school.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by GrumbleDook
    ... even if the tories came to power tomorrow it would continue ...
    It certainly would. Without making too much of a political point here, 'New Labour' have embraced many of the old traditional Tories policies such as privatisation and I would expect there to be renewed enthusiasm for transferring more school services to the private sector if the Tories come to power at the next election.

ICT managed services in schools may be the thin end of the wedge. There is already talk about 'facilities management' of whole school sites, including evening & weekend use. Many schools today earn a useful income from letting the school buildings and facilites for community use. This income might vanish into the coffers of the FM company, particularly with PFI schools.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,107 Times in 785 Posts

GrumbleDook: you seem pretty pro bsf and i wonder if you yourself have some vested interest, perhaps some political agenda maybe? you seem to be very well informed.

Headteachers are always well informed and it doesn't have to be about the political agenda as with most politics it usually screws up the very foundations of our society with their ever increasing invasion into our lives. I know changes have to be made but i feel strongly that it is always the political agenda that takes presidence and not the real issue and that is the people who care and matter.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by broc
    all the parents want is a bright new shiny school, full of bright new shiny equipment because that will make it a 'better' school for their children to learn in.

This is a hard argument to counter for any school.
    Personally and as a taxpayer I am in favour of investment into childrens education. So yes shiney new things are seen as a positive thing. BUT, what we are talking about here is, in my opnion, an expensive and convoluted way of producing excellent ICT 'support' services. That is to say that the same goal could be achived without any major changes.

i.e spend the money on new equipment, training and support for the existing and well able IT support staff and introcuce a system where LA's can monitor and record the level of support provided.

Everyone would be happy.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast