+ Post New Thread
BSF Thread, apology over school building list errors in United Kingdom (UK) Specific Forums; BBC News - Michael Gove apology over school building list errors http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/Pol...uture_Hit_List...
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries

apology over school building list errors

Last edited by willtech; 8th July 2010 at 08:56 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,232 Times in 1,020 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Is there an amended list available? To be fair, chances are the mistake was made far down the line by his researchers or staff from the ministry, but as head honcho he took the bullet.
    Last edited by Dos_Box; 8th July 2010 at 09:04 AM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    yeah the list they have updated is on the department of education site but you never know when another error is going to be made:

http://www.education.gov.uk/news/new...s060710v2.ashx
    Last edited by willtech; 8th July 2010 at 08:57 AM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    But isn't all this furore over how many mistakes he's made in the list masking the bigger debate, which is about BSF itself and whether it was a good idea or not? Nothing I've heard in the media lately has advocated for or against it, or even really examined the issue in any great detail...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I have a suspicion that lots to do with BSF, particularly as regards to building costs and consulatancy fees, would not have been a favorite subject for the last govt to be scrutinised in too much detail. Most people here know how money was wasted in various stages of certain BSF projects, and how much certain companies were to treat BSF as a cash cow to be milked for years to come.

6. Thanks to Dos_Box from:

nephilim (8th July 2010)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,973 Times in 1,445 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Also on top of that Dos_Box, many companies hired there own people as external consultants as a way to claim extra cash on top from the government. I know of some places down here that did that, and the "external consultant" sign a contract saying that a large portion of his fee was to go to the company he was consulting!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    <font color="#FF0000">WHAT FUTURE FOR BRIDGWATER'S SCHOOLS?</font> - the Conservative MP for Bridgwater arguing that the schools in his constituency should go ahead.

I can see his point that the schools need to be replaced but when he was interviewed on the radio this morning he was basically saying "PFI is wonderful - we can build now but pay much later". Isn't this what we're being told has got us into a mess in the first place?

It does fit with what Alistair Darling said - not sure if it's true but he claimed that no Conservative MP ever got up in the commons and said "No, don't build a PFI hospital or school in my constituency". They may have been happy to criticise the government but they were never prepared to vote against stuff they felt was needed locally.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I always felt a little sorry for Alistair Darling. I got the impression that he was set up to be the economys fall guy, whilst still having his strings pulled by number 10.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Last edited by willtech; 9th July 2010 at 08:28 AM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Last edited by willtech; 9th July 2010 at 12:21 PM.

Thank Post
    I sniggered at the letter in the Guardian - along the lines of

Education Secretary forced to apologise over administrative errors on school cuts list - just as well he hasn't upset any civil servants lately..

Thank Post
    So, today, he is now announcing a 5th list??

Gove To Unveil Fifth List Of Affected Schools - One News Page [UK]

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by srochford View Post
    <font color="#FF0000">WHAT FUTURE FOR BRIDGWATER'S SCHOOLS?</font> - the Conservative MP for Bridgwater arguing that the schools in his constituency should go ahead.

I can see his point that the schools need to be replaced but when he was interviewed on the radio this morning he was basically saying "PFI is wonderful - we can build now but pay much later". Isn't this what we're being told has got us into a mess in the first place?

It does fit with what Alistair Darling said - not sure if it's true but he claimed that no Conservative MP ever got up in the commons and said "No, don't build a PFI hospital or school in my constituency". They may have been happy to criticise the government but they were never prepared to vote against stuff they felt was needed locally.
    that's the point isn't it, the MP's complaining have a vested interest in schools getting built in their constituency - that'll be the case whatever their position on deficit reduction.....Gove has to look at the overall picture, and that means difficult decisions.

I'm not quite sure what people expect.....seems like the reaction is a sort of reverse nimbyism. ie We want this stuff in our back yard [and by implication...] look somewhere else for your cuts. I sincerely hope Gove is able to tough this out.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by torledo View Post
    that's the point isn't it, the MP's complaining have a vested interest in schools getting built in their constituency - that'll be the case whatever their position on deficit reduction.....Gove has to look at the overall picture, and that means difficult decisions.

I'm not quite sure what people expect.....seems like the reaction is a sort of reverse nimbyism. ie We want this stuff in our back yard [and by implication...] look somewhere else for your cuts. I sincerely hope Gove is able to tough this out.
    If he is going to tough it out he needs to get his facts correct and presented accurately first time round - the way these cutbacks have been announced has been shambolic to say the least (regardless of looking at the bigger picture).

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread