+ Post New Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678
BSF Thread, Building Schools for the Future plans to be scrapped in United Kingdom (UK) Specific Forums; That's the problem, it will cost more. We found out each user added to the system will cost. We had ...
    Thank Post
    That's the problem, it will cost more. We found out each user added to the system will cost. We had a long list here of the costs of anything extra you had and we couldnt believe it. Also what happens to something very basic when it comes to support. My boss worked for the post office IT before they out sourced and now (he keeps up to date) things are not at all peachy.

What about that person who needs a quick question, quick job, like just now a file needed converting and a camera installed on a PC (needed admin rights). It took me 1 minute to fix the camera install and 25 mins to get a converter working. Also installing two pieces of FLV software to get youtube videos of a course and play them.

Both jobs took a total of 40 minutes and would of taken them how long? to call up northgate and get it done? I just had to image a new laptop - done within 25 minutes. Staff now has the laptop back.
    Last edited by mthomas08; 7th July 2010 at 03:48 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mrforgetful View Post
    Ours would hav erequired us to pay them a fee for each device they took, so made more sense to throw them.
    Would that have worked out more expensive than paying an inflated price for a new piece of kit? eg a PC that you could buy for £500 from a reputable supplier costing £750 from the IT supplier once they've added their cut and service agreement costs in.

We were told that the IT provider for our LEA would get £22m over 5 years to run 8 ALC's. I'm still getting my head round why they would charge for taking/refurbishing old kit or charging for new kit. Surely the £22m will cover the cost of new kit/service desk/engineers etc. All the backoffice networking/broadband etc will still be provided by the Council.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkeh View Post
    Unfortunately it has already had an impact: clicky

Yes but someone coughs in city and share price goes down. Long term will not make any difference RM will have planned few stuff over next month to announce to city and shares will go up.

Maybe its time to go and buy some rm shares

Russ

Thank Post
    Think I would rather not buy anything with RM. This used to be an RM school and was over priced for what you was getting.

Thank Post
    [QUOTE=Gibbo;539292]I've heard of a school that wasn't allowed to take decent, working Smartboards to the new build. They had to be binned and replaced with new ones.[/QUOTE

I find that hard to believe as the BSF ICT contract documents have specific provisions for the transfer of so-called 'Legacy Equipment" - even if the Smartboards are'nt considered suitable for transfer to the new school due to compatibility or support issues then why on earth didn't they get transferred to another school not in the BSF?

Thank Post
    the scrap came too late for me in Birmingham, my technicians now work for 'the company' and I've taken another job. So the news within the scheme now reads something like this.

The learning platform has been scrapped
    the e-reg - scrapped
    library system - scrapped
    cashless catering - scrapped

data centre - ?????? - no body knows, but I'm guessing here but I'd say - scrapped.

OK - now to define scrapped. What I mean is no single solution will be provided via the scheme, they cant afford one. So the money, which we've just learnt isnít enough to get the systems, will be given back to the school - into local choice - where by the school can go out and get one.

Is it me? Does anyone else see the problem with this?

Also, when I say local choice, what I mean is we have to buy out of the companyís catalogue, at their prices - really dont get me started with this one. I guess these forums do have eyes from the outside on, so I'll leave it at that point.

Thank Post
    Seems like most things are being scrapped in this so i ask the question whats the point of an expensive IT company who don't really know what they're doing (or it seems that way to me )

Seems a big waste of money and time to pay someone double what i can do myself without them. I really hope that the schools and specifically my school can get out of this whole thing before christmas!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,453 Times in 1,899 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jason2234 View Post
    Seems like most things are being scrapped in this so i ask the question whats the point of an expensive IT company who don't really know what they're doing (or it seems that way to me )

Seems a big waste of money and time to pay someone double what i can do myself without them. I really hope that the schools and specifically my school can get out of this whole thing before christmas!
    The reasons have been explained quite a few times before. Such as providing a standardised IT infrastructure within a geographical area, ensuring that there is a baseline level of IT provision, make sure that schools aren't cutting corners, not all schools have competent staff, etc...

Sure, the reason why there has been so much discussion on it is that each one of those arguments can be countered.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678