+ Post New Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast
BSF Thread, Building Schools for the Future plans to be scrapped in United Kingdom (UK) Specific Forums; lol well i didn't think they we're just rubbish at our school but we will wait and see but from ...

Thank Post
    lol well i didn't think they we're just rubbish at our school but we will wait and see but from e-mails i have had and meetings i have notes from the data centre at least is under very serious discussions and i will not be surprised at all if it is cancelled. Hopefully we can just keep the IT in house which is how it should be anyway

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jsnetman View Post
    After tupe your working conditions can change after 12 months or whatever the LA negotiate, I would not like to be in that position when the money gets tight.
    I think you should check out some of this week's other news stories about pensions and other conditions of service for public sector employees - I rather doubt that anyone can sit back comfortably and say "Glad that's all over, my job's now safe on its current conditions"

Thank Post
    I think you should check out some of this week's other news...
    I agree, but would rather be in my existing employment rather than tuped when it happens.

Thank Post
    How is this going to affect each local authority I wonder? Surely a BSF scheme that was designed to incorporate say 25 schools cannot be scaled back down to just include the 10-15 that are in the process of being finalised now?

I'm guessing each LA proposed an ICT solution for ALL their schools, so how are they going to scale this back to only suit the ones that have escaped the axe?

Personally I was wary of BSF purely for personal (i.e TUPE and redundancy!) reasons but the idea behind it was sound. Now some really shabby schools won't get rebuilt when they should be. Fortunately our schools buildings are pretty good, if old fashioned. Hopefully the worst schools in the country will have been targeted in the early phases and will continue to be rebuilt.

Thank Post
    Must say we are now stopped, we are very happy that this is the case. BSF failed to mention to our heads that the IT Sourcing was optional. I totally understand the basic good ideas of BSF - New buildings, new IT equipment, new systems.

With all that - it could have saved us a lot of hassle 5 years ago when I first started working here. I started as a NVQ Technician and the current network manager left because they refused to pay him more. The current IS manager at the time was useless and the IT manager was no better. So you can guess we had 1-2 years worth of issues. Serious server failures, email going down, virus's.

Things got better when the new guy started, we worked much closer to get things working and better.

Today, we have multiple servers, very low downtime. Laptops are 90% up to 3 years old. 10% we are hoping to change next year.

We didnt like the idea of BSF because we finally got the type of IT System that works, BSF spec PC's were lower then what we got.

Biggest problem is when it comes to IT - heads, CET members etc have no clue how much work goes in to a server and are prepared to employ a basic tech like me (back in the day) to do the work of a network manager/systems manager. To me they should know it all And ofcourse, provide a very low budget.

I am currently doing a huge MCITP/MCSE course and wizzing through it because I had to deal with it for the past few years. Ofcourse things are not perfect - SQL I could do with the know how. I think some schools IT wise needed BSF and still do.

Also outsourcing IT on a school like this, we are so heavily reliant on IT, projectors, laptops, sims, software packages. We worked out that the cost of supporting our students would of cost far more with Northgate then what we currently spend on IT Equip/staff. And when you work out the cost of Northgate charging for software/new users etc etc it will add up even more. And for support which is not instant, we do our best to place support within 15 minutes. Sometimes instantly because we can drop what we are doing to connect up to a pc using netsupport.
    Last edited by mthomas08; 7th July 2010 at 12:46 PM. Reason: Last part

Thank Post
    The problem with BSF was - it wasted money.

All our PCs are capable of performing whatever is needed of them, yet when BSF take ofer we throw them out. Why? We just spent 50k on machines this year. That's the problem.

The CDT department have 3 £10,000 lathes things. Under BSF they get thrown out and replaced with something else just so it's supported by the company taking over.

Waste, is what BSF was doing. Waste is what the new government have to erradicate. That's what they're doing.

Any new government would be faced with the same situation we're in, and the 'biggest school build since the Victorian era' isn't what we can afford as a nation right now.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    The quality of the teaching environment directly affects teaching and learning.
    Does it though?

My parents' generation (in their 60's) had far worse environments to work in than any modern school, yet it's widely regarded that the standard of education has plummeted over the last 20 to 30 years.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,648 Times in 2,049 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AyatollahPies View Post
    Does it though?

My parents' generation (in their 60's) had far worse environments to work in than any modern school, yet it's widely regarded that the standard of education has plummeted over the last 20 to 30 years.
    By who? Any actual academic evidence to support that widely held belief? Or is it like religion - requires faith? I've not seen any evidence from academic sources showing a fall in standards. All I see is daily mail articles saying 'in our day!!!' over and over...

Thank Post
    Have a thought for us - we're supposedly becoming an academy in September - in the morning we were "Unaffected", by the evening we were "Up for discussion". I'm up to my ears in the changes we need to do - and now we're not even sure its happening - jeez!

Thank Post
    Just got the official email form the LEA, BSF cancelled no further meetings going to be held regarding BSF. North Tyneside.

Thank Post
    I don't think "Stopped" means "cancelled" in all cases though. Just paused in a way. Or so our borough thinks.

Thank Post
    In the email it states BSF cancelled and will look forward to new investment initiatives by the current government.

Thank Post
    Academic evidence would say that wouldn't it? Kids are taught completely differently nowadays - they pass more exams (albeit containing lots of coursework) but, in my opinion, know less. It's a case of pass the exam/module then forget it. It may be perception but the general opinion is that standards have gone down especially in the corporate world that wants a competent and able workforce. As an aside I know somebody who recently went on an educational visit to Japan and they use virtually no IT in teaching, just "chalk, talk & discuss" - that holds them back doesn't it??

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mrforgetful View Post
    The problem with BSF was - it wasted money.

All our PCs are capable of performing whatever is needed of them, yet when BSF take ofer we throw them out. Why? We just spent 50k on machines this year. That's the problem.

The CDT department have 3 £10,000 lathes things. Under BSF they get thrown out and replaced with something else just so it's supported by the company taking over.

Waste, is what BSF was doing. Waste is what the new government have to erradicate. That's what they're doing.

Any new government would be faced with the same situation we're in, and the 'biggest school build since the Victorian era' isn't what we can afford as a nation right now.
    I've been reliably informed that when we move to the new school (2 becoming 1 big ALC under BSF) that the IT contractor will be taking our old equipment and using what is fit for purpose in the new school. It will not all be shiny new equipment but (I'm guessing) a mix of old and new.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Does anyone think this might cause a little bit of consternation amongst schools with regard to a level playing field? As an example, take a town that has 4 schools in close proximity to each other, one of them gets the BSF treatment and has super new buildings, uptodate technology and all the rest, how can that have a positive impact on the other three schools? I know it isn't always a level playing field at the best of times, but it strikes me that should BSF be cancelled, any money that was being pumped into that county for BSF should be split evenly between the schools. But I am most likely being super naive...

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast