+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
BSF Thread, Building Schools for the Future plans to be scrapped in United Kingdom (UK) Specific Forums; Sorry? Wasn't there last night....
    Thank Post
    Sorry?

Wasn't there last night.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jason2234 View Post
    timzim did you read my post i know that most the schools in brum have been stopped i'm trying to find out the news on what then happens to the 9 out of 69 in the region that are going ahead. Do they go ahead with the outsourcing etc.
    Sorry mate, misread you. I think most people are in the same boat since none of us really knows much yet. Govt may well keep the managed service aspect of bsf since its purpose was essentially to save money (despite all the rubbish about 'improving ICT'). Scrapping bsf is the first of many measures to claw back spending - you can bet your bottom dollar that we'll be in the firing line next...

Thank Post
    lol thanks for that timzim the part where you said "we'll be in the firing line next" really filled me with hope fingers crossed the IT company go bust as they seem to be dependant on the bsf scheme of all the bham schools and a data centre for 69 just isn't gunna financially last running 9 school. i'll start preparing my servers to move with us

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by srochford View Post
    Sorry, but that's nonsense! Managed IT services are used by very many "capitalist" companies who wouldn't dream of touching anything even vaguely resembling communism and they find it works well.

It's about trying to work out what needs doing and how best to do it - Microsoft, for example, don't do their own IT - they outsource it and (as I understand it) get it done pretty well.

It certainly shouldn't be some central diktat saying that "from tomorrow you will do IT like this" but about each school saying "what we have isn't perfect" (however good it is, it won't be perfect) and looking for how it can be done better.
    a) it was a simile
    b) yes they do Microsoft IT Showcase: How Microsoft Does IT

Thank Post
    Government apparently messed up yesterdays list with schools missed off/listed wrong, they've reissued an updated one here
    http://www.education.gov.uk/news/new...ols060710.ashx

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by srochford View Post
    Microsoft, for example, don't do their own IT - they outsource it and (as I understand it) get it done pretty well.
    Quote Originally Posted by mavhc View Post
    Well, at last I get to use my favourite education phrase - Everyone's a winner - because we do outsource our helpdesk support (ie when I call our techies, I'm talking to somebody who doesn't work for Microsoft); however the rest of our IT is run in-house by our excellent IT team.

And, Yes, IMHO from a IT user perspective, they run it pretty well

7. Thanks to rayfleming from:

srochford (6th July 2010)

Thank Post
    hummm were still on the list as unaffected and yet we haven't reached financial completion...?

Thank Post
    All i can say is YIPEE!

As part of BSF i was going to be removed from my post a local high school where i help out. This was due to being primarily a primary schools tech and only working at the high school 4 hours a week and i was flatly told last year that i would "just be removed" no redundency or severence or anything which frnakly upset me quite a bit considering the amount of time ive worked at that school in particular.

Now that BSF has gone my job is secure and i can continue working at the school with a great team that isnt going to be messed with or made to watch a clock to fine some stupid company.

Plus the buildings thing, well wtf does it really do? It improves the LOOK of the school, that does not directly improve the state of teaching nor the results of the kids. Thank god BSF is gone, no more worries for me =-)

Thank Post
    lill - i think they have they have had to include the second wave of schools in brum because even tho they haven't financially closed i think they are very close to it and can't stop it not, or so i have heard. Our school is nearly finished and looks great now that the school battled and won to stop them making it yellow
    No idea what Redstone are going to do now hopefully that won't go ahead either

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,453 Times in 1,899 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluetooth View Post
    Plus the buildings thing, well wtf does it really do? It improves the LOOK of the school, that does not directly improve the state of teaching nor the results of the kids. Thank god BSF is gone, no more worries for me =-)
    The quality of the teaching environment directly affects teaching and learning.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    The quality of the teaching environment directly affects teaching and learning.
    To a certain extent but the quality of the teachers and stength of the management team is far more important - BSf is not value for money and a lot of un-necseeary work has been done. I know some schools are in a bad way and need work but not all.

Thank Post
    sorry jason you've lost me, you mean you think the build will go ahead without the managed service aspect?

Thank Post
    Well i don't see how they are going to run a data centre designed to run 69 school when only 9 schools will go ahead. Considering the managed service aren't doing so well i just don't see how they can keep going now. This is just a guess from my school but it doesn't look good for their 'plan' (which is over budget, poor and over the contracted deadlines )

Thank Post
    :-) yep we are of the same line of thinking here.

Thank Post
    I think a big squeeze on jobs and budgets would have come BSF or no BSF, labour or condem, think I would rather be in non BSF when it comes. After tupe your working conditiona can change after 12 months or whatever the LA negotiate, I would not like to be in that position when the money gets tight.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast