+ Post New Thread
BSF Thread, Prime Minister Questions.......... in United Kingdom (UK) Specific Forums; I watched this yesterday as I always do!.................a question came up about following through with BSF ...........David Cameron has said ...
    @ the back of my server racks farting.....
    Thank Post

Prime Minister Questions..........

I watched this yesterday as I always do!.................a question came up about following through with BSF...........David Cameron has said they PLAN to follow the BSF through and that the education money is protected.

Interesting.

Also on bbc site today
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/10217450.stm

Thank Post
    Not sure but I think his answer may refer to schools who have reached financial closure.

That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,345 Times in 743 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Yes, I think it refers to schools where the commitment has been made. I don't believe there will be any new BSF projects implemented.

Thank Post
    Just watched it on Iplayer and he did not specifically say BSF would stay he said he supported building new schools but I suspect in the guise of acadamies and free schools.

It's always very difficult to actually get a straight answer from a politician on whatever side of the fence.

Thank Post
    I think the Tories have slagged off BSF so much that they cannot do anything else but scrap it however I suspect they will just re-introduce PFIs (which after all they invented) to finance all the new Academies which they want.

At least PFIs don't generally include ICT or getting the private sector embroiled in delivering education which BSF did.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by IanT View Post
    I watched this yesterday as I always do!.................a question came up about following through with BSF...........David Cameron has said they PLAN to follow the BSF through and that the education money is protected.

Interesting.

Also on bbc site today
    BBC News - More than 1,000 schools want to be academies
    what's interesting ?

that maybe you've gotten the wrong end of the stick ?

agreed.

Thank Post
    At least PFIs don't generally include ICT or getting the private sector embroiled in delivering education which BSF did.
    This is not neccesarily a good or logical thing. Let's not forget that, like it or not, private sector involvement in ICT is more dynamic and reliable due to the presures of competition and stringent SLAs and transfering or halting the addition of onsite ICT staff onto the public sector payroll helps to take pressure off the public sector pension schemes and payroll. Meanwhile, the bit that traditional PFI does, i.e. building a shiny new school is the expensive bit and arguably the bit of BSF which is most ripe for dropping given the questionable returns.

For the above reasons I think the new government would be wise to look to widely increase the level of private sector involvement in things like school ICT design and managed services whilst opting for refurbishments as opposed to shiny new buildings.
    Last edited by u8dmtm; 17th June 2010 at 07:35 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by u8dmtm View Post
    Let's not forget that, like it or not, private sector involvement in ICT is more dynamic and reliable due to the presures of competition and stringent SLAs and transfering or halting the addition of onsite ICT staff onto the public sector payroll helps to take pressure off the public sector pension schemes and payroll.

For the above reasons I think the new government would be wise to look to widely increase the level of private sector involvement in things like school ICT design and managed services.
    Hmm, I don't think everyone here will agree with your opinion.

Thank Post
    No doubt, but the huge variation in costs, standards, accountability and quality of the current organic approaches needs to be addressed and will ensure predictable costs, standards, accountability and quality.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread