+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
BSF Thread, BSF School or Free school? in United Kingdom (UK) Specific Forums; ...

Thank Post

BSF School or Free school?

For those of you hoping that BSF might be cancelled by the ConDems, your wish may be granted.... BUT (There's always a but....)

£55bn school building plan faces axe to fund Swedish-style system | Education | The Guardian

Thank Post
    I for one am hoping the BSF gets canned. New buildings and IT will not improve schools if teaching standards are poor in the first instance. It's just like wallpapering over a wall with loads of cracks.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Disease View Post
    I for one am hoping the BSF gets canned. New buildings and IT will not improve schools if teaching standards are poor in the first instance. It's just like wallpapering over a wall with loads of cracks.
    I agree with your point about new buildings not making a better school; however working in a school which is well past it's use by date & has more leaks than Wales you can understand the attraction of a new building courtesy of BSF

That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,344 Times in 742 Posts
    Blog Entries
    So, meanwhile, rotting schools are left to rot away?

In my neck of the woods some investment in the local schools is desperately needed. Our buildings are tired and broken and not suitable for delivering 21st Century teaching.

We need to get Cameron and his cronies out of London to see just how bad it is here, and in many other areas around the UK. Education is the one area they can't cut funding in.

Our kids deserve a decent education and at the moment we're struggling to give them that in some schools because they're starved of money and the buildings are falling apart. Especially the ones built in the sixties.

Thank Post
    The problem with BSF has never been building purpose built schools (apart from the money wasted on style over substance), the issue has been the insanity of shoehorning IT into the program, locked in building maintenance contracts, etc. Basically sweetners for industry.

If BSF was just about handing over a brand new building to a school, it would be fine, and not so over budget!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,135 Times in 1,031 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tech_guy View Post
    Especially the ones built in the sixties.
    The main part of our school was built in the thirties! even more need for it to be rebuilt!!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,184 Times in 1,617 Posts
    The main part of my daughter's school was built around 1905... and nothing's been done to it since! :S

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I would say that the buildings in the 1900 to 1940 where generally good buildings they just need kitting out with modem services. The buildings build during the 1950 to 1970 are probably the the worsted.

Thank Post
    Although I oppose the managed service part of the BSF... mainly as it has an effect on me and I don't think it can be considered a one size fits all solution (IT, that is) our school really needs modernisation.

We have temporary builds scattered used as extensions to our school, piggybacking off of existing resources within the school. To fix our current main building would cost an awful lot, it'd make greater sense to demolish and re-build. IF BSF goes, what are the other options? PFI? How many people want to lose control of the school they run?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dwhyte85 View Post
    IF BSF goes, what are the other options? PFI? How many people want to lose control of the school they run?
    If (when?) BSF is cut back, some of the savings will be used to fund more Academies & the Swedish style Free schools; this is in the Governments manifesto. In both cases, the Government will have to either borrow money itself (unlikely) or use PFI to rebuild/renovate schools or rent disused factory units or office blocks to be converted into schools. There is no other way given the size of the problem. A new secondary school costs £20m, a 50-60% partial rebuild/refurbishment costs £12m-14m & there are a lot of schools in need of repair after decades of neglect.

As far as losing control of schools, it is the Governments stated aim of having more schools become independent of local authorities. That means being free to set their own pay & conditions & decide upon curriculum amongst other things.
    Last edited by broc; 18th May 2010 at 08:20 PM.

Thank Post
    OK, i'm being dim. Can someone define an open school?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dwhyte85 View Post
    OK, i'm being dim. Can someone define an open school?
    Count me in too... I have never come across that one....

Thank Post
    Yeah, im also un-sure of an open/free school.

If it is swedish like all the furniture might be from ikea... just imagine, a school been flatpacked and you have to build it your self lol and the "open/free" might mean that you have to use open source software to run the network and servers.

Thank Post
    open like it doesn't have a roof or walls... that sounds like a way to save money

Thank Post
    i suppose the question is, if the tories have/had a target [or aspiration] for how many school places could be provided via free schools, then you can work out how much money would be required for the free schools project. if it becomes spectacularly popular will they have to put a funding restriction and start turning people/communities away who'd like to start their own school ?

the idea itself sounds a lot closer to the academy model, which we know the tories seem to be quite keen on.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast