Poll: Would BSF still be a good idea if the ICT contract was not part of the deal?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
BSF Thread, BSF - Would it be ok without the ICT Contract? in United Kingdom (UK) Specific Forums; I agree with Ric_'s way of thinking, there should be an option to take the managed service or not. Some ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,645 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I agree with Ric_'s way of thinking, there should be an option to take the managed service or not.
    Some school are probably going to benefit from a managed service but there those that will probably lose out, but the option should be there.

If you decide not to take the service, you should have to prove that you are meeting the required standard.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkeh View Post
    If you decide not to take the service, you should have to prove that you are meeting the required standard.
    No good. They will make the "required standard" impossible for schools to pass on their own, and managed services will pass automatically.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,781 Times in 1,105 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bossman View Post
    Having debated the BSF on this forum for nearly a year has anyone got any positive feedback of how well the BSF schools throughout the country have done.
    Having spoken to certain individuals from various positions on BSF there doesn't seem to be any real information out there except for the negative info which keeps cropping up.
    Has any Government IT initiative ever worked out? Take the NHS for instance?
    Looks to me that events are to take a turn whether it be the Tories or Labour on capital spend!
    Has anyone got anything else to add? (Tony?)
    I have been asking, but only to feed back internally within Northants. I am on a low profile on some of the BSF front atm but when I come across public information I will share it. The closest we have so far is the feedback about Bristol that was part of the NAACE work. NAACE materials.

If someone would like to take on the mantle of EG contact with P4S and the various companies I can give you the contact details and introduce you, but be warned that you will get embroiled in politics with your LA (depending on how close you are to BSF) and I would suggest backing from your Head. Remember that impartiality is required to some extent and looking after *all* interests is important.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,781 Times in 1,105 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by webman View Post
    No good. They will make the "required standard" impossible for schools to pass on their own, and managed services will pass automatically.
    You also need to make sure who 'they' are. You have to be careful to make sure that 'they' could mean the LA, the LEP or just the IT MSP.

The whole BSF thing is meant to be about the needs of the school and the LA workign with schools on the strategy for change. If the school is not involved in this then things will get missed and decisions will be made that could have an adverse affect on the future direction of the school, not just for IT. Even if you are involved, if you are one school saying you want something different then it is hard to make that felt. *All* schools need to be represented and to have input ... and this is often where things fall down.

The BSF bidders will only put forward solutions based what has been requested ... what gets requested is sometimes insufficiently specified. Unfortunately, due to the competitive nature of the tenders it is hard to see what other LAs have done and the best you can get out of the bidding companies is that each bid is different and is based around what is put forward.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,645 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by webman View Post
    Ok, but I was talking about what I believe should happen, not what the reality is likely to be. If we were doing that you might as well point out that this thread is pointless as this is doesn't appear that this is going to happen anyway.

But of course discussion isn't pointless

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumbleDook View Post
    You also need to make sure who 'they' are. You have to be careful to make sure that 'they' could mean the LA, the LEP or just the IT MSP.
    All of the above. It's a conspiracy!

Thank Post
    "Yes - give us a chance to show we can do it and let us continue innovating!"

Show?? Most of us have been doing it for years. Take a few minutes to think where ICT would be in schools without "us" over the last 10 years?

Of course, some schools (I've been to some and it's not pretty) have suffered with really bad tech support (or none) but lets face it, surely this is actually down to poor decisions by SMT/Govenors is it not? After all, if you employ a totally imcompetant Network Manager (or none) you can expect an incompetant network!

BSF isn't hitting me yet as I am in Wales - but from what I can see I honestly think we could do better than BSF if we were given the same money that BSF is throwing around. If 10% of a BSF spend is ICT - I can only dream of having 10% of our anual turnover to spend on ICT. Instead - this year I have had roughly 0.9% of our anual turnover.

If i had 10% per year over the next 5 years ICT in this school would be a whole different ball game.

Butuz

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Butuz View Post
    "
    If i had 10% per year over the next 5 years ICT in this school would be a whole different ball game.
    Absolutely!
    Unfortunately the school doesn't get the money because most of it goes to RM's shareholders.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12