+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
BSF Thread, BECTA's View on Network Managing in United Kingdom (UK) Specific Forums; I have become increasingly interested in FITS this year, after having gone through the transition of Technician to NM to ...

Thank Post

Re: BECTA's View on Network Managing

I have become increasingly interested in FITS this year, after having gone through the transition of Technician to NM to Senior Systems Manager. In fact it has become one of my goals for the school that we *at the least* meet the Becta FITS requirements/level before I move on to different pastures. It isn't easy though.

Tony has made some good suggestions already about what I would call "adding value to the classroom through the use of ICT", and ultimately I really think that is what we get paid to do. So in a way we are (or should already be) TAs in our own right. An excellent suggestion has been VLEs- and these are good because they offer a measurable level of impact in the classroom. It's this mix of impact through ICT and the way support staff in ICT push that technology that I *think* BECTA are getting at.

FITS is a good mechanism (better: framework- which is what it says it should be) to help me achieve for the school the best possible use of ICT within the classroom. It isn't the only one- but it is good.

BSF? I despise it.

Paul

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

I'm realy wanting to implement FITS, and think it's a really positive thing. Unlike most of you guys, here in Wales we haven't had the BSF nightmare, but should anything similar appear I take Tonys' point that this will strengthen our positions come that day.

I put moving towards fulfilling FITS guidelines in my development plan for this year. Luckily, I have a new line manager on the SMT who knows of BECTA and is on board. I just need to work out the nuts and bolts now - dig up all those relevant bits (some searching of the edugeek archives ahead!)

Thanks for those words of advice Tony.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Bossman is in the throws of organising things for FITS since it was brought up a few weeks ago between the powers that be. Hopefully it will work to our advantage.

Thank Post

I've been working in the thick of BSF and academies stuff for 2 years and there are serious issues for any school or would be-academy. One major one is their internal capacity to negotiate their way through the ICT implications of BSF (to say nothing of the rebuild or new build issues). One school versus the combined might of the chosen managed service provider, local authority ICT 'experts' plus the authority's ICT consultant/s. Given that most schools ICT management resources are grossly overstretched and underpaid (when will Becta give a lead on recommended levels of in-house ICT management/support?),given that SMT have day jobs to worry about, who will protect the school ethos/vision?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12