+ Post New Thread
BSF Thread, What is BSF and what does it mean to me? in United Kingdom (UK) Specific Forums; Please forgive the n00bish question but all of the BSF topics here seem to be geared towards those who know ...
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries

What is BSF and what does it mean to me?

Please forgive the n00bish question but all of the BSF topics here seem to be geared towards those who know what it is and understand its implications. So far, there is very little information on here for those who don't know anything about it.

As the thread title says, what is BSF? What does it mean to me? I've looked at the official Government BSF Site and all that seems to be is a load of marketing speak with very relevent information towards me. I've asked the NM about it, he knows nothing. I've asked my line manager in the SMT, he was very vague and didn't say anything of use.

When it comes to ICT, is it all about outsourcing or is there more to it?

Cheers,

Norphy

Thank Post

Re: What is BSF and what does it mean to me?

BSF is a government funded upgrade of all the Schools in England..

One of the criteria of getting the ICT part of the funding is that the Schools In-House ICT departments are outsorced and the ICT is then Managed and Controlled by a large ICT company like RM or RAMESYS..

The in house ICT staff are then employed by this Managed Services Company or Retrenched...

Thank Post

and part of the preperation for this wonderful opportunity, involves salary reviews, which will mean that you get paid less!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts

Since it's outsourced the contractors will be running centralised server farms for groups of schools - no more SIMS/CMIS to worry about, no more Active Directory, no more file servers, email servers or content filters etc.

If you currently look after this sort of stuff then there is a good chance you won't have a job at all.

joy.

Thank Post

BSF is a very ambitious (over ambitious?) Government attempt to bring schools up to standard after many years of neglect and funding shortfall.

A major problem seems to be HM Treasury don't have the funds to finance the program, so many schools will be rebuilt through PFI (essentially a way or mortgaging the cost of rebuilding). This means that private companies will bid for and build new schools & fit them out; this will be achieved through a Local Education Partnership (LEP) between the Local Authority, the private companies who will do the build & fit, and a somewhat shadowy organisation know as Partnership for Schools (P4S). P4S are the Govt (DfES) egents, and they call the shots. They can overrule LA decisions and delay or even block BSF funding if the LA decides to do things that don't fit their view of the world.

A conerstone to BSF is the ICT strategy being imposed upon LAs and schools by P4S, where ICT is expected to become a managed service, run by private companies. In theory, an in-house ICT bid can be prepared by the LA, allowing them to be part of the LEP. Not many in-house bids have succeeded so far. Newcastle is the only one I know about for sure.

When your LA signs up for BSF, schools will be expected to sign up for Managed ICT Services. When the ICT Managed Service contract is awarded, most (all?) school-based ICT support staff will become employees of the the Managed Service provider. If this is a private company this will be done under TUPE rules which are intended to protect your employment terms & conditions.

What does the school get, you might ask?

Approx £1450 per student, to cover ICT hardware, network hardware, access control systems, CCTV, phones, interactive whiteboards, anything with a plug on, and in return they pay back an amount in excess of £80 per student per year (min 5 years) for the Managed Service.

Thank Post

Question

Sorry to kick up a dead thread...

Is this still the case?

I've heard that it may be the case within our school in the forseeable future, infact, we could well be in the first phase this January with the new build, having spoken to the architects they've said they aren't concerned with our current just the building they're putting up... having checked on here we're wave E.

In discussion the architects mentioned that the school should move the Internet conn into this new building as in the long run this would make more sense with the total rebuild, I then heard "oh, do you remember i mentioned the BSF and building new buildings to you" aimed at me from our business manager... at this point my heart sank after reading the horror stories on here.

The architects were less than concerned with our current building and are offering to implement lots of nice ICT things for the new building, when I asked what about the current school, bluntly one of them said "that's your problem, we're only concerned with our building - when the new building is decided we will link these". I thought the whole idea was to work with us?!

I asked the business manager directly afterwards about the plan for the BSF, BM said this is something not to worry about is it will not affect us directly & if the school has to undertake it that it's miles away (2 years), it will only be to re-build the school (we are in dire need of a rebuild, we have 3 temp. errect buildings & an ancient main building). I said even so that i'd read some horror stories... BM said please do not go down this route & that was directly related to pfi, so i've pretended to forget and get on with it.

The technicians & I read on here alot, it's an invaluable resource and we read that foundation schools may not be affected in the same way as other schools, is this going to be the case - is this fact?
    Last edited by dwhyte85; 10th October 2009 at 11:03 AM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread

Thread Information