+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
BSF Thread, Tory government not backing BSF? in United Kingdom (UK) Specific Forums; Hi all Read some reports that a tory government wouldn't be backing the bsf scheme if elected as its a ...

Thank Post

Tory government not backing BSF?

Hi all

Read some reports that a tory government wouldn't be backing the bsf scheme if elected as its a waste of money . Does anyone have any thoughts on this subject?
    As someone who would be moving to a new school next year and be outsourced by an IT company i'd like to find out if a change it party would effectively make my future better or worse.

Thanks

Jason

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,993 Times in 932 Posts
    Blog Entries
    TBH, no party will really show it's cards until after the election, but I would suggest a review of BSF would certainly be on the cards should they get in.
    BSF is a good idea I think, but as is typical with governemnts it was badly thought out and implemented with too much emphesis of the lack of control (or care) that govt would have to pay to a school once it was 'handed over' to private enterprise.

Thank Post
    Wasn't it the Tories who began the academies scheme when they were last in power? Cameron talks about schools becoming more idependent and being run by 'the people' which may result in more academy 'style' schools; could this logically lead to possible cost-savings by eliminating the need for LEAs as wasteful government quangos?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,993 Times in 932 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pauljonze View Post
    Wasn't it the Tories who began the academies scheme when they were last in power? Cameron talks about schools becoming more idependent and being run by 'the people' which may result in more academy 'style' schools; could this logically lead to possible cost-savings by eliminating the need for LEAs as wasteful government quangos?
    Thay are talking about the parents having more control in the running of the schools. With academies the 'charity' (private company who 'brought' the school for a bung), controls pretty much everything including who gets to sit on the board of governors.

Thank Post
    Aren't academies and BSF different things?

I believe the tories are in support for academies but not in support of BSF. I've read on many occassions they have labelled BSF as a waste of money.

Thank Post
    BSF provides a steady flow of income to the banks that lend money to the building companies & suppliers that are involved in building schools through PFI. All of these companies stand to profit from BSF continuing so I would be surprised if a Tory Government would wish to cut off the flow of cash to their supporters.

They may however try to streamline the procurement process which is proving to be very costly & drawn out. Expect to see some pain at the LA level as 'productivity' cuts bite......

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jason2234 View Post
    Aren't academies and BSF different things?

I believe the tories are in support for academies but not in support of BSF. I've read on many occassions they have labelled BSF as a waste of money.
    Some LAs have responded to Govt pressure to combine both into the same bid; I am aware of a couple of LAs where the BSF funding was conditional upon academies being built.....

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,028 Times in 729 Posts
    @all:

Image: Top 30 BSF contractors - Building

The old school tie brigade looking after one another.....................................

Thank Post

The tories STOPPING privization of schools???

"too far down the line now, contracts signed"

"we are giving the power to local government, its upto them to decide the best for schools in their area"

YouTube - David Camerons eye for the media on Time Trumpet

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    What I suspect you'll see happening is that the "building" bit of BSF will go on hold but the outsourcing bit will be speeded up - that's what can save money ("remove inefficiency" as we keep being told!)

Thank Post
    BSF funded through PFI won't show up as such a big number paid back each year..... think of it as a series of mortgages signed by LAs for 25 years spread over a number of years...... so in total they spend 55billion on doing up secondary schools but only have to pay back <3billion per year (plus interest & profits for the builders & suppliers).....

It's less per year than the odd war or two!

Thank Post
    looks like they might be keeping BSF

EducationInvestor - Article: Cameron: BSF "will continue"

but then again promises before an election and not exactly reliable

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by broc View Post
    BSF funded through PFI won't show up as such a big number paid back each year..... think of it as a series of mortgages signed by LAs for 25 years spread over a number of years...... so in total they spend 55billion on doing up secondary schools but only have to pay back <3billion per year (plus interest & profits for the builders & suppliers).....

It's less per year than the odd war or two!
    yep. that's pretty much how they build new hospitals also. The cost over the full term ends up costing three or four times more than the actual build cost ....that includes maintenance but they'd have to continually adjust the overall costs for inflation over time, once the 'repayments' actually progress. Doesn't exactly represent value for money for the 'taxpayer', but it is a perpetual income stream for the private secotr and allows them to realise some big profits, so hey-ho.

the construction industry, the banks require these PFI deals....there's no way it doesn't happen in some shape or form. But....it begs the question of where cuts will be made if not in BSf capital investment, and the future of capital investment in the public sector as the public finaces come under pressure.

Labour or any future govt. might say as regards capital costs, once these things built they are built....you don't have to commit the capital costs again. better get it right then... hadn't they.
    Last edited by torledo; 30th April 2010 at 12:34 PM.

Thank Post
    Assuming that the PFI deals for hospitals and schools are the same here is an example. The new Queen Elizabeth hospital in Birmingham "will cost taxpayers 1.75 billion under a private finance initiative scheme, being repaid like a mortgage of at least 48 million a year plus inflation until 2046, with developer Balfour Beatty owning 40 per cent of the hospital." I found an article elsewhere that said the cost was 547 million.

Thank Post
    Quote from our local paper:
    "Earlier in the day, Conservative leader David Cameron visited Southampton University where he was shown innovative wind and water-based electricity production.

He reassured people in Portsmouth who are concerned his party might reverse labour's Building Schools for the Future programme.

He said: 'The people of Portsmouth should know that we believe building schools for the future is a good policy.

'The money is there for it to continue. We want to build new schools."

And I was hoping the Conservatives would scrap the idea

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast