+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
BSF Thread, I (we) categorically do not want BSF Managed ICT in United Kingdom (UK) Specific Forums; ...

Thank Post

I (we) categorically do not want BSF Managed ICT

Managed ICT

Our School does not Need want or require Managed ICT

We would of course love all new pcís,servers whiteboards etc however we are well capable of looking after them ourselves and have no desire to pay a contractor to do this for the next god know how many years

We have
    approximately 800 pupils 5
    500 student computers
    100 staff computers

2* 2003 domain servers (curriculum and admin)
    Group Policy and other restriction software protect all our PCís
    1* 2003 Web server
    Runs our ILP , VLE (Moodle) and Website (we have created and manage our own)
    Lost count of how many whiteboard over 40 at last count

All our PCís are exact clones (XP SP3 ie7) with all our software on every PC
    Every PC in the school works and it takes us only minutes to repair/Replace any that have problems

We have over 30 mono laser printers and over 30 colour laser printer/scanners these cost us less than £150 each and only cost £4.50 per toner and have been in place over 2 years now (lol and we even managed to get all the secret drum rest codes)

Over 18 cctv cameras on 2 DVR units that cost us no more than £1000 to purchase and us install

All what we have done in the last 3 years has been on the cheap, yet we have managed to give the school everything and more that it requires

Whatís the chance of any remote service doing this!

I understand that some school may benefit from Managed ICT support , I just feel we wont

What I want to know is , is there any central location that all those schools who donít want Managed ICT through BSF can get together to find how to stop it ?

2. 4 Thanks to sjpage10:

Gatt (27th March 2010), ICT_GUY (30th March 2010), linuxgirlie (29th March 2010), speckytecky (27th March 2010)

Thank Post
    Going though it myself, and I cant see the school getting the same out of ICT as it does now.

BSF only benefits the sub standard schools, an equal model does not suite the schools that excel.

Chances are your ICT staff will be toup'd with one remaining in school to do the manual stuff and the rest will be some where central.

We are at the final stages of deciding before building starts, It between us and another school and it looks like it might be us. It will be a while before its built and so cant see the general election halting it at our stage of progression, but I can see this as the only thing to really stop BSF as you asked.

My schools is a mirror of your school, except for the CCTV you have setup, and im the only ICT support person in the school as my technician is being made redundant in 3 months.

In a Server Room cutting through a forest of Cat5e
    Thank Post
    do you mean the royal we? How do you know the SMT aren't all for BSF?

Thank Post
    cost £4.50 per toner
    I would like to know which colour laser you can get toner for that price, unless it is a typo or you are filling your own cartridges?

Thank Post
    Any school wanting out of BSF would be considered mad because of the funding they'll receive. My school is getting £2m of which £1.9m will be spent on building repairs and renovation, whilst the £145k will be spent towards the IT infrastructure (not what we need it) and curriculum content.

Like some of you, everything is all honky dory with all of our equipment. The only issues we have is probably just a few WBs missing their pens and whatnot, and one or two projectors need replacing. Everything else is fine.

My HT is already salivating at the prospect of turning my little cupboard into a corridor that leads out onto this walkway full of plants and shrubs and then onto a life skills centre.

I'm being TUPE'd over sometime this summer, even though BSF doesn’t initially kick in until summer 2011 (we're in wave 5). However, I'm hoping it'll lead to some new career opportunities within the MSP. (One can only hope)

Thank Post
    Our school is in the exact same position
    We are due to move to RM in September
    BUT.. the cost of moving to RM is proving to be very large, we would be in the red and be exactly as we are now with no new equipment..

I know the HT is questioning this and has also implied to RM and the LEA about not going through with it...

My only concern, is what would happen to me - if our school pulls out of BSF, how does it affect the TUPE process?

I'm concerned that if I wasn't TUPE'd that I could be made redundant by the LEA, since, in their eyes, my role is no longer available (due to TUPE)..

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,795 Times in 1,115 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Midget View Post
    do you mean the royal we? How do you know the SMT aren't all for BSF?
    And governors, teachers, parents, kids ....

Thank Post
    Thanks for the reply guys, glad to see I’m not the only one

as far as I can tell our SMT are behind me, though they would like all new equipment (as would I) they have no desire to have to rely on remote management and from speaking to our accounts manager they have no desire whatsoever for a PFI build, as far as I can work out as half of our school is only a few year old whilst the other half is over 40 years , we would not get PFI however remote ICT management through BSF would still come in to effect

I know you can try to opt out of remote management ICT , but they make you jump through hoops to do this

Printers by the way are clx2160N Samsung colour laser we paid around£150 each for them a couple of years back (it would be easier to find rocking horse $hit than find them now ) and the pattern toners range between £4.50 and £5 each absolute bargain, mono's are Brother 5270DN's best we can get are toners for £12

sadly as for parents and kids , they will be sold on whatever the government tells them

just have to hope conservatives get in and stop it all

we could do with a website/Forum for all us IT guys who don’t want this so we can work together

Please forgive the poor grammer and typing , missies don’t appreciate me sitting typing on here at the weekend so have to type quick lol

PS

we also have 4 display board's that we put in these cost us approximately £450Flat Screen TV with cheap PC I wrote software so the PC's simply run a power point that can be updated at any time via a network share all staff have access to this and they also run tickers and a clock I wrote taking news from the BBC-

I also wrote software to allow users to change screen res via an icon in the systray this also forces desktop background (every 30 seconds) to the one set to stop them changing it (group policy just can not solve all issues)and also reads the Iexplorer header for key words to block sites by sending the 'Home' command to i.e. if a keyword is found just to block those sites our ISP let through

also a ict support request system that allows jobs to be posted to us with a date and time , urgency request etc..

oh and ID Badge printing software , that can be run on a laptop and create the badge from the cam on the laptop
    print a batch on to A4 so they can be cut out and dropped into holders , all our staff have these now cost's next to nothing to do

and i forgot an account generator for 2003 simply import usernames from a list and it will create all accounts and shared folders (hidden or not) , though I know most of you will have scripts for this, makes setting the new y7 accounts up so easy just takes a few minutes for 120 accounts

if anyone wants the software just let me know

Oh and 2 years of backups on 2 *2TB raid NAS drives you just got to love ACRONIS ,replaced our sever a couple of years back with it using universal restore worked a treat

and all our network has been moved over to 1gb with a central managed 1gb switch OK only cheap 3com but it's all mapped out and works a treat

so you can see why I wouldn’t want to give it all up

Sorry if it sounds like I’m blowing my own trumpet , you know how unrewarding IT is no one knows your there until something goes wrong lol
    Last edited by sjpage10; 27th March 2010 at 07:04 PM.

Thank Post
    You need to start looking into an Alternative Procurement Business Case. The governors will need to be fully behind the decision.

The chances are the APBC will be rejected. You will then be left with a decision to pull out of ICT for BSF and lose the funding or take the service!

Tim

PS I can share some figures that prove that over 5 years walking away is a viable option!

Thank Post
    Thanks for all the reply's everyone

As soon as I find the time I will create a website with a forum for all those who would love a new school and IT but donít want Remote management or anyone else running their IT show

I will also include all the resources we can find

If anyone is interested and willing to help please say below

Unless the conservatives get in and scrap it all lol

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Irrespective of whatever political hue dominates Westminster it's the Civil Servants who run the Country. Nowadays it seems that few of our politicians have the strength of character or leadership to make any difference at all.

-
    Quote Originally Posted by sjpage10 View Post
    Thanks for all the reply's everyone

As soon as I find the time I will create a website with a forum for all those who would love a new school and IT but donít want Remote management or anyone else running their IT show

I will also include all the resources we can find

If anyone is interested and willing to help please say below

Unless the conservatives get in and scrap it all lol

Thank Post
    I think you will find an incoming Tory administration (if elected) will simply rebrand the BSF programme & continue where Labour left off, I suspect the BSF programme may be merged wth their academies programme as has happened in some LAs already. Don't forget PFI is a Tory policy that some may argue is executed badly by 'new Labour' when they occupied the political centre ground.

Sooner or later the Tories will find out that cutting back on public sector spending is not the only answer to curing our ailing economy. Maybe they aready realise this & that is why they are remarkably vague about what they will cut?

When the political parties say 'efficiency savings' they mean sacking workers.... conveniently ignoring the fact that unemployed workers cost the state unemployment benefits, lose tax and VAT revenues, and lead to a reduction in spending power.... all of which means 'people' will buy less & companies will sell less... ultimately meaning less profit for shareholders & Tory backers..... The last Tory administration squandered taxes from UK oil revenues paying for the unemployed.....

Regardless of the academic benefits of BSF, it is good business for the private sector who fund the Tories. Outsourcing ICT is the icing on the cake, intended to sweeten BSF contracts..... & reducing ICT staffing levels is one way to reduce costs & drive up profit

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I would also suggest you grab hold of the 3rd annual review from PriceWaterhouseCooper too. It does talk about how managed services are settling down and that people are now seeing the improvements from it, but also does clearly show that the link between ICT and Transformation is not effective. Since a big thing about ICT in BSF is about transformation it shows that more work on the education side is seriously needed.

Thank Post
    Since a big thing about ICT in BSF is about transformation it shows that more work on the education side is seriously needed.
    Alternatively it might show that the transformation stuff was a utopian crock. It's very difficult to see that aspect having quite the same prominence under that potential Tory gov.

[Haven't read the report, so..]

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Transformation is actually the bigger project than BSF. It is at the heart of changes to the National Curriculum, how OFSTED look at things, intervention from LAs, CPD for staff (and yes ... I know that for a heck of a lot of people that just means teachers but workplace reform also tries to address this too).

BSF is just a handy method of trying to introduce it and is almost part of the justification of BSF. However, it often means taking a risk when changing how things are done and due to the risk adverse nature of large projects, there is evidence that people are playing it far too safe ... and so transformation is stopped. If you don't have innovation in BSF it makes it damn near impossible to have transformational change.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast