+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
BSF Thread, RM Date Given... in United Kingdom (UK) Specific Forums; We did have a really good meeting with RM the other year to get their take on the BSF process ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,738 Times in 1,087 Posts
    Blog Entries
    We did have a really good meeting with RM the other year to get their take on the BSF process and their answer is that there is no single answer to it all .. it has to be LA by LA, wave by wave, school by school, and the place were it falls down is that they will do what they are asked to do. If the schools 'forgets' to go on about the extra bits that you do for filming then it doesn't get done (or it does, but after a bit of negotiation) ...

It also depends on whether the LA are going to tell the MSP that there should be no movement on changing of jobs or roles, just in case the MSP sends a bill to the LA or school.

It is in RM's interest (or any MSP actually) to make it work and be as flexible as economically possible. They want the return business at the end of it all.

I think we have already covered the possible downside of things as they affect the schools ...

Thank Post
    Allegedly, our school wont be given CC4.. (only rumours btw!)
    Probably because we have a stable network running Wnidows 7/2008 R2 which everyone is happy with, and that we dont want to be seen as going backwards..

How true this is, and if it will even happen is unknown..

Not sure what the current RM deployment is (CC4 with XP?) but this could be good news for me in a way..

Thank Post
    My understanding is that RM are actively engaged in Sunderland BSF wave 1 schools deploying CC4 & Vista.... I believe most were 'vanilla' XP previously ......

theeldergeek
    Quote Originally Posted by broc View Post
    Whatever you might think about RM, it is unfair to blame them for BSF
    I'm not blaming them, or anyone per se, I'm just intrigued as to who gets consulted over what BSF does, will do or won't do.

For me, my job is almost a way of life.

My 'geekness' extends beyond the workplace and I thoroughly enjoy what I do, and because of that, I give 100% to the job (and then some, if that's possible) both at work, and often at home if I happen to be able to do something work related.

My fear is that BSF is going to take that away from me, and make me unhappy in my work with defined work areas, defined workloads, silly targets, and so on.

Yes, there may be training and/or investment, but if I'm not happy in the job because I can't do the job I love, then what is the point?

If someone from 'whoever wins the bid' actually came and spent some time with me to see how the job IS done, not how they think it SHOULD be done, I'd be very accommodating to them.

Thank Post
    If you were to trawl through the pages & pages of threads on the BSF forum you will find many others share your views & fears.

I think BSF will impose a 'corporate IT' culture on school ICT support with all the +/- that brings; for some people it will provide career opportunities where none existed previously, for others it will mean changes of responsibility & working practice that may be very uncomfortable or even unbearable.

As you have already identified, consultation is key to getting the right answers and in my opinion this seems to be where the BSF program is letting schools & their ICT staff down badly. The LAs will argue that the timelines are too short for full consultation; Partnership for Schools will argue the LAs & schools don't have the skills.... you have to draw your own conclusions as to why people like us are not being involved more. It has been suggested we are too involved in protecting our own interests......

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,028 Times in 729 Posts
    @theeldergeek:

I too feel like you and a lot of others on this forum but i fear this is just the thin end of the wedge which will totally bring control initially into the LAs hands and then inevitably back into the central governments control as it is a huge political statistic and control is key.

I see it as the governments way of subtle change in the way children learn, eventually home access will be the key factor as the government cuts the cost of education by stealth.

Firstly server farms holding not only all schools data but virtual classsrooms where students login to from home under the supervision of an adult who is paid a pittance but just enough to engage them with their learning. Once a month they will visit a mentor who will decide how they are doing with their learning and give directions on how to attain better grades and help them and their adult carer manage the workload.

This would ultimately save the government billions as schools would not be needed and therefore neither would teachers (another massive saving for the government) so in or around the lifespan of the last BSF school built plans will be put into force which will develop these ideals.

What about social interaction I hear you say, well children and adults today only seem to communicate via the internet and mobile phones so nothing new there as they will take to it like ducks to water. As for adult learning that too will eventually go online to save more costs and only the rich will be able to afford private tuition.

I know this may seem like a pye in the sky ideal but mark my words a lot of other countries are already in front of us using the same model.

Australia have had similar schemes in place from a very early age when they used to teach students over a wide range via short wave radio and it worked very well indeed.

China, India and Japan have online learning for students as they strive to teach the masses and bring them up to speed in the modern world.

This is only my theory on the issue but it is founded on the business model which this country is now adopting for all it's major projects and education just like the NHS is being reformed as a massive cost cutting exercise.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12