+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
BSF Thread, BSF and Birmingham schools in United Kingdom (UK) Specific Forums; Beeswax is right. They'll take away your servers and deduct some money off your costs. Im gutted myself really because ...
    Thank Post

more BSF

Beeswax is right. They'll take away your servers and deduct some money off your costs.

Im gutted myself really because we already run a citrix base. We already offer to our pupils everything (mostly) that RM or Redstone will give us. so I just cant see the point.

all that pain for no real improvement for the staff or pupils.

Okay so I dont do a 24 hours a day 7 days a week telephone help line like them, well not yet anyway, I guess they'll soon have me doing that just as soon as I'm tuped.

Thank Post
    Where can I learn more. In particular to do with Birmingham BSF. We haven't been told anything. Doesn't supprise me though, nothing was said about single status either.

Thank Post
    So when BSF takes over what happens to us NM's ?

Surely they can't just sack us ?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jamin100 View Post
    Surely they can't just sack us ?
    No, that would be unfair dismissal. What they do is transfer NM's and technicians to the new employer under TUPE regulations. The new employer is then able to issue redundancies.

Thank Post
    Regarding the 5 year part i'm sure i've read elsewhere that the school would only be tied in for one year of course i imagine the company will move servers off site ASAP to present the same problem. Can the amount of time vary depending on what the LA specify?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd View Post
    No, that would be unfair dismissal. What they do is transfer NM's and technicians to the new employer under TUPE regulations. The new employer is then able to issue redundancies.
    And is / has this happened with schools currently under BSF ?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by projector1 View Post
    i am absolutelly shocked by this, was not even aware of it.
    Just spoken about it to SLT, they say as we are a self governed school we do not have to go with it.

First the news about single status, now this, i am going complete my mcse and then review what my next step will be. I simply like many of you cannot afford to not know where we stand and with a mortgage, etc. Not comfortable at all with all this.
    When you say "self-governed", what do you mean? Are you a "public" school, Foundation school or Academy?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    And is / has this happened with schools currently under BSF ?
    Only if the new company has declared how many techs they want in the new school prior to the TUPE transfer taking place. They can't make someone redundant unless they declared it or its for technical, economic reasons.

Just spoken about it to SLT, they say as we are a self governed school we do not have to go with it.
    No-one *has* to accept it, but they don't get any funding if they don't. In any case
    I doubt SLT are told the full details and - its in their interest to maintain the service they have. If they give you too much information you might just leave.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by cookie_monster View Post
    Regarding the 5 year part i'm sure i've read elsewhere that the school would only be tied in for one year of course i imagine the company will move servers off site ASAP to present the same problem. Can the amount of time vary depending on what the LA specify?
    Schools who agree to the managed service will be expected to sign up for the duration of the contract, typically so far these have been either 5 years or 10 years. The actual duration of the contract will be decided by the LA.

When I was asked as Chair of Governors at a wave 1 secondary school to agree 'in principle' to the managed service I asked what the schools options were to terminate the contract early if we felt the service was not delivering what we had agreed to; I was told as an individual school this would not be possible, although the LA could pull the plug on the whole service if it failed to meet the targets & agreed levels of service. This would not however be a quick & easy task and there would be serious legal and financial hurdles to overcome.

Basically the message was once you are 'in', you are stuck with it for the duration of the contract. My Governing body, along with others in the LA were given little choice but to sign up, the alternative being to delay the whole BSF process for the whole of the LA and deny the students at our schools the benefits of new buildings, with new equipment & resources.

Thank Post
    This is probably a stupid question, but is this happening to primary schools too ?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd View Post
    What's more worrying is if they do the 'classic' method of issuing redundancy through legal loopholes.

If they make you redundant obviously they must issue you compensation for being made redundant. Many companies however, offer you a job you simply cannot take up. For example deploying you to a school on an iceberg in the middle of the arctic, of course if you refuse you've effectively resigned so they don't have to pay you a penny of redundancy.

It's constructive dismissal in effect, and I'm very concerned that this nasty trick is going to be pulled on a great deal of people.

Also, I'm not entirely sure of this, but if you've "resigned" are you able to claim JSA once you're out of a job?

How safe is your job after the TUPE? Unknown quantity, but I suspect not very safe at all.

Hmmmm...

Thank Post
    This is probably a stupid question, but is this happening to primary schools too ?
    As far as I know, it only directly affects secondary schools, but I guess primaries get hit indirectly especially if they have ties with secondaries for their IT provision...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Friez View Post
    As far as I know, it only directly affects secondary schools, but I guess primaries get hit indirectly especially if they have ties with secondaries for their IT provision...
    Well i have no ties with any secondary schools and I a NM in a primary so hopefully i'll be out of it all when BSF does hit primarys eventually!

Thank Post

safe job?

well, from what I've read your job or your contract is far from safe under tupe, again to quote from paper work :-

"Your new employer cannot dismiss you upon transfer, unless the main cause of the dismissal is a carefully defined economic, technical or organisational reason, which requires changes to the workforce and that they are acting reasonably in treating that reason as sufficient to justify a dismissal."

well, here's what I think, no way is RM or Redstone going to pay Network Managers wages for us to change paper and tonner. Yes some of us will get work in help centres (manned 24 hours a day), again some of us might get work at the server farm, but at the end of the day the rest of us are just dead weight, doesnt take a lot to work out what 'economic' reasons might mean.

Also, guys remember this. It might be that your school says it will keep you on, so no need to be tuped. Nice of them, for sure. BUT, you wont be able to touch the ICT system, well basic staff access, sure, but you wont be able to do your job..

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by david_1152 View Post
    Birmingham is down to the last two. Redstone & RM. RM is pitching citrix and Redstone terminal services with share point.

Oh and the 5 year thing - that is spot on. Here the BIG thing for your heads to remember.

Well there is a plan by these parasite companies to force the Managed Services after 5 years... they are creating Server Farms so you'll have no Server Hardware on site and then when you want to jump ship you can't as there will be MASSIVE costs in getting new servers on site ..

So basically you're in it for life.. as you can really never go to another Managed Service Compay because all your data is on the Parasite company servers and how will you get that moved ?...

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast