Poll: BSF.. Do you really know what it means for your future ?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
BSF Thread, BSF Topic in United Kingdom (UK) Specific Forums; It has its own forum now rather than being stuffed as a topic in general chit chat, so its done ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,035 Times in 908 Posts

Re: BSF Topic

It has its own forum now rather than being stuffed as a topic in general chit chat, so its done better than a lot of topics do. The xmas do's will vanish in the new year, IE after the xmas period. I suspect that the main reason this area is still quite dead is that a lot is still uncertain and unknown by people so they have nothing to post about.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by john
    It has its own forum now rather than being stuffed as a topic in general chit chat, so its done better than a lot of topics do. The xmas do's will vanish in the new year, IE after the xmas period. I suspect that the main reason this area is still quite dead is that a lot is still uncertain and unknown by people so they have nothing to post about.

I see its been in its own forum for a couple of weeks... but.. it is still in the bottom of general Chit Chat.. under Christmas Parties and Blue Skys..... heh heh..

The BSF thread needs to be more prominent and should be up on top above technical or something.. in its own forum...

also any activity in the forum isn't even on the front page in "EuGeek Forums Latest"..

Questions need to be raised and asked...

Like how come we have spent years blocking RM as they are too restrictive and very very expensive... yet now that have found a back door into the schools?

We need to start getting together soon and talking ... BEFORE its too late..

Manchester, Stoke, Newcastle, Waltham Forest, Lambeth... etc have gone...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,738 Times in 1,087 Posts
    Blog Entries

RM gaining the contract does not mean that CC3 (or CC4) will be installed as the management system ... only that RM will source and manage the contract, the systems bought and installed and so on ...

If it works out cheaper to buy hardware from another source then they will do ... especially since they do not produce their own server now ... and are likely to be using DELL instead.

I would seriously like to see the paperwork for the winning proposals for each area to see what has or hasn't been put in, as well as looking at how far the message from Becta has gone about a standard network build based on the Infrastructure documentation being the base line ... and not something to limit schools.

Thank Post

The BSF forum topics don't appear on the home page - like the FFS topics (which I understand!)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

BSF does raise some heated discussions and I will go through and check that there isn't anything that in general should not be easily searchable. Pretty much the same reasons as the FFS area really ... which you have to be registered to view or read.

Oh yeah ... it does come through the RSS feed though ... so if you have the EduGeek toolbar you can see new messages

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by GrumbleDook
    RM gaining the contract does not mean that CC3 (or CC4) will be installed as the management system ... only that RM will source and manage the contract, the systems bought and installed and so on ...

If it works out cheaper to buy hardware from another source then they will do ... especially since they do not produce their own server now ... and are likely to be using DELL instead.

I would seriously like to see the paperwork for the winning proposals for each area to see what has or hasn't been put in, as well as looking at how far the message from Becta has gone about a standard network build based on the Infrastructure documentation being the base line ... and not something to limit schools.
    Right.. apart from a few servers in the Schools RM won't be flogging them RM Ones and the such ?... I don't think so...

RM is RM and they are there to make a profit..

Thank Post

Oh yeah ... it does come through the RSS feed though ... so if you have the EduGeek toolbar you can see new messages
    And If I had a flux Capacitor I could go back in time.. but I don't and its a shelep looking for BSF topics in Edugeek..

Windows Toolbar, Google Toolbar, Yahoo Toolbar and now EduGeek tool bar... There won't be any space left to see my Window

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Grommit

Right.. apart from a few servers in the Schools RM won't be flogging them RM Ones and the such ?... I don't think so...

RM is RM and they are there to make a profit..
    After having had a chat with someone a few days ago (can't say who unfortunately) but they had sat down with a few others to do some costings on proposals by a few companies bidding for BSF areas ... (hence why I am now asking these details are public domain) and some of the companies (RM included) are likely to make more profit by buying in machines from other companies and using them in BSF schools ... probably not even rebadging them.

The idea is that they have to provide a certain number of machines, to a certain level of specification, to run on a network the meets certain minimum standards ... they do not have the liberty to suddenly use more expensive kit ... quite the opposite really, the more kit they put in for theat first 5 years ... when it needs to be replaced it is likely that it will be done with the original company. So the more kit that you put in the more kit you are likely to have to replace ... and if you are able to purchase the hardware from them that is the way it will go ...

It is in those years of extra investment that have me worried ... irregardless of what happens to support staff (sorry if this offends those going throught TUPE or redundancy) after the initial investment schools will have to find money to replace damaged or old kit. After the tie-in period has finished we could be left with schools needing a) to get in-house technical staff back in, b) having to replace 50-75% of their desktop / server hardware and c) having to spend time and money retraining staff to use different systems.

All of the above are factors that can have a negative impact on how students use computers in schools ... and this is the be all and end all. If what is provided improves the learning then good ... if it doesn't then bad.

If we want to look at places where centralised services have actually worked, we need to look over at areas of the US or large companies.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Grommit

And If I had a flux Capacitor I could go back in time.. but I don't and its a shelep looking for BSF topics in Edugeek..

Windows Toolbar, Google Toolbar, Yahoo Toolbar and now EduGeek tool bar... There won't be any space left to see my Window
    You mean you need another tolbar other than the EduGeek toolbar?

Ok ... updated access to BSF. It can now be viewed but you stil have to be registered to post ... sensible really.

Thank Post

:-) Many Thanks...

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12