+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
BSF Thread, BSF question about timing of managed service take over. in United Kingdom (UK) Specific Forums; also I found some info on when the LEA's offer the contracts out for tender here: http://www.publictenders.net...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts

Re: BSF question about timing of managed service take over.

also I found some info on when the LEA's offer the contracts out for tender here:
    http://www.publictenders.net

Thank Post

I removed this post, its not relevant. sorry

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Yes, there's this tender about Cleo/Lancs for example:

http://www.publictenders.net/modules...ticle&sid=6338

However BSF 'stuff' for Lancashire lives here:

http://www.lancashire.gov.uk/education/bsf/

Thank Post

Ok, my school is in the first wave of BSF and I have been lucky enough to have been one of the few (only??) network managers / technicians involved in some of the meetings both for drawing up the ICT Specification and with the Bidders.

I was taken along by the member of our SLT responsible for BSF to give advice.

The specification from our LEA is the usual wooley 'Blue sky thinking' type stuff with nothing outragoues in it and no 'this is how it must be done' statements.

At the meeting with the bidders they all took different views on how they could meet the specifcation and the SLA for all schools in the bourough is expected to start at begining (even if your school is not to be built for a few years) of the BSF project.

In reference what Rusdev said earlier about contacting the bidders direct I would be very carful about doing this as the people around BSF (LA's ,The DFES,etc) are taking the biding process very seriously and thrown upon bidders possibly being given different information to each other and insist it should go through one source.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by griffin
    The specification from our LEA is the usual wooley 'Blue sky thinking' type stuff with nothing outragoues in it and no 'this is how it must be done' statements.
    Was there anything about support structure, staffing, or service levels?

The reason I ask is that I have seen a similar 'draft' document which carefully avoids these elements of the managed service, focussing entirely on 'tin'.

Thank Post

Nothing about the structure of the support or staffing levels, just expected service levels.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

So there are SLAs?

Thank Post

From what i can tell, but each BSF project is independent and may do thing differently.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Yes and no each bsf project is seperate but they must follow simlair proccess for example they must confirm to becta standards.

Russ

Thank Post

Agee, but was saying that my experiences here are not how they are going to be elswhere. For example some places may seperate the bidding for Building/FM and ICT were as here it is all one bidding process.

Aswell as meeting becta standards, they must follow DfES guidlines on the process but it does not mean things will be the same.

Thank Post

THE BEAST COMMETH....

Quote Originally Posted by griffin

In reference what Rusdev said earlier about contacting the bidders direct I would be very carful about doing this as the people around BSF (LA's ,The DFES,etc) are taking the biding process very seriously and thrown upon bidders possibly being given different information to each other and insist it should go through one source.
    Yes this is true..

I have just come from a County BSF ICT Consultation Meeting

The BEAST COMMETH

The Counties under Government guidelines are using a preferred bidder system and working the (proposed) Managed Services Companies against each other until they get the best bid.

Then this company will take over the entire County

As for the Schools ICT Managers ... they will cease to exist as the School will be managed by the Managed Service Company..

if you are kept on you will be basically a toner cartridge or projector bulb replacement person as you will not be given any access rights to the servers or other hight level systems.. so therefore your skill-set will be going down the toilet and after a few years you employment prospects will diminish (no ISA, No Exchange, No Server 2003, No SIMS, No Terminal Services, No RIS configuration etc etc)

There is no way out of this as it is a government instruction .. if the School wants the millions to rebuild ICT under the BSF they must outsource to some bloated company... if they want to keep the ICT In house they must reject the millions of pounds..

I believe that the first phase was either Wolverhampton or Manchester and that Ramsys won these are now taking over the schools..

As I was told a month ago.. Its coming .. it cannot be stopped and it will change the way ICT is run in the schools (ie some fat bloated company getting our jobs)

So the only way that the ICT staff will keep their jobs is either they get taken on by the Managed Service Providor or the Head teacher makes a New Role for the Technical Staff

BECTA and The DfES state clearly that ICT MUST be managed by a Service Providor.. no if ands or buts

Where are the unions ?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Exactly. If they got rid of teachers like they are with support staff WWIII would break out.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Yes in hind sight i meant more we all have contacts we all know front runners to these bids do bit of 'networking'

arr yes technical support will be managed by company but role of devloping ict in the school will not be

Key here is role can be found to keep you in school if that is what you both want..

Russell

Thank Post

The Counties under Gov guidelines are using a preferred bidder system and working the Managed Services Companies against each other until they get the best bid.
    Not strictly true. Its not up to the county to decide on the best bid. The county is allowed to bid itself and keep the service inhouse - and retain the money.
    AFIK Its up to UK partnerships PLC to decide - a commercial company with commercial interests - I'm sceptical as to whether they'll award any contracts to inhouse ICT services though.

Thank Post

If your LA mounts an in-house bid it will have to stand the test against private bidders. Partnership for Schools can 'dictate' who gets the business, even though the LA may judge the in-house bid is best value.

I was told by a Partnership for Schools consultant that inhouse-bids were not the preferred approach, and they did not expect many to succeed. At a meeting I attended with a number of other schools the LA ICT people were asked to leave the meeting briefly while the consultant asked the audience if they thought the LA ICT team was 'up to' the task of managing the service! There was a mixed response

This has serious implications for Education ICT support teams in the LA, and potentially primary schools too. How many primary schools get their support 'informally' from their local secondary, or from their LA Education ICT support team? If these are all merged into a single organisation motivated by profit you can see what will happen.......

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast