+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
BSF Thread, Hull BSF goes to RM (Research Machines) in United Kingdom (UK) Specific Forums; Just come across this, released today: RM chosen as ICT provider for Hull BSF programme - 14th BSF win for ...

Thank Post

Hull BSF goes to RM (Research Machines)

Thank Post
    Poor Hull first they get screwed by Kingston (Karoo) now RM. OUCH!!

Thank Post
    I am inclined to agree with bossman; for the more able ICT support staff in schools, BSF will present new job opportunities and a career path that goes beyond what you might expect in a school. This will of course depend upon the attitude of the support staff and how well they 'fit in' ...... I am certain there will be casualties along the way.

I still think the biggest losers with BSF managed ICT services will be the schools themselves.

Thank Post
    I still think the biggest losers with BSF managed ICT services will be the schools themselves.
    Couldn't agree more. I think failing schools (IT wise) should be forced under a managed service but schools that innovate and manage their IT effectively should be left alone. I hate the idea of one mediocre solution for everyone.

5. 2 Thanks to cookie_monster:

bossman (13th November 2009), Sylv3r (6th November 2009)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bossman View Post
    @aaronjwilkinson:

Why?, from what I have gathered RM are keeping all the school staff and giving them the opportunities to better themselves through continued professional development whereas other LAs have taken it upon themselves to use BSF as a cost cutting exercise.
    I would personally be looking at developing myself with RM rather than jumping ship but that is my own opinion.

Good luck with whatever happens.
    So long as you are prepared to work hard (RM don't like clock watchers or shirkers) and do things the 'RM way' then you should be ok - you need to be prepared for big changes though (as do the teachers) as things will be done very differently to how they are now.

First thing you need to do is buy yourself a decent watch and some rollerskates to hit the new response and fix times - something like fixing ALL software faults within 30 minutes of being reported and ALL hardware faults within 1 hour I believe! You will learn to love the helpdesk.............

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I will agree with statement above. RM culture is this while there you work very hard and I mean very hard. But in return if got a problem you get a lot of support. So if got family ill and need to take off that will be ok as long as you work hard when you are there.

Russ

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by russdev View Post
    I will agree with statement above. RM culture is this while there you work very hard and I mean very hard. But in return if got a problem you get a lot of support. So if got family ill and need to take off that will be ok as long as you work hard when you are there.

Russ

That just sounds like how working in the private sector is most of the time, someone is paying you and they want results. If they're a good employer then you will get compasionate leave etc.

Thank Post
    Any news on how it's going in Hull yet? Has RM started staff/union meetings?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by broc View Post
    I am inclined to agree with bossman; for the more able ICT support staff in schools, BSF will present new job opportunities and a career path that goes beyond what you might expect in a school. This will of course depend upon the attitude of the support staff and how well they 'fit in' ...... I am certain there will be casualties along the way.

The problem I have though (and we are quite a way from BSF yet in this bit of Cumbria) is that RM or whoever may well offer some of the things you describe but they will also take away a large proportion of why I (and I guess many others) work in schools.

Much as I love my IT job what excites and interests me is all the peripheral stuff the Head lets me do e.g. Going on residentials with students, producing a KS3 production, being involved in reading projects, animation projects etc. etc.

I am lucky, I have a very supportive Head who pays me well and sees the value of my working directly with students. Now whatever anyone says I will lose all that - RM aren't going to let me swan off to Wales twice a year are they? Well they will but it will be annual leave!

I love my flexible, fulfilling working life here - it's great to do so much more than IT and that will be a story repeated throughout many other schools I suspect.

Life after BSF may well offer much more to some people but for every winner I think there will be many losers.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ROBOCOP View Post
    First thing you need to do is buy yourself a decent watch and some rollerskates to hit the new response and fix times - something like fixing ALL software faults within 30 minutes of being reported and ALL hardware faults within 1 hour I believe! You will learn to love the helpdesk.............
    We've some time yet before BSF hits here but I would say this - I got into education IT to avoid such target based nonsense. I spent 7 years in sales living to various targets, it's not fun. I think I'll be moving on before BSF hits...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jcollings View Post

Much as I love my IT job what excites and interests me is all the peripheral stuff the Head lets me do e.g. Going on residentials with students
    I'd be careful admitting that if I were you

So let me get this right - you're an IT Tech and you're concerned that the ICT contractor will want you to spend your time doing ICT related work rather than being an unpaid Teaching Support Assistant? How dare they - whatever next?

I suggest a change in career before BSF hits you.

Thank Post
    I'd be careful admitting that if I were you

So let me get this right - you're an IT Tech and you're concerned that the ICT contractor will want you to spend your time doing ICT related work rather than being an unpaid Teaching Support Assistant? How dare they - whatever next?
    No - I'm an IT Manager who happens to work in a school where there is value seen in allowing staff a bit of freedom by letting them play broader role in school life. This doesn't just apply to me - many of the support staff are involved in things outside their employed role.

My IT work is outstanding (the Head's words, not mine) and doesn't suffer a bit as a result, additionally the school gets a great deal of extra time out of me because I often work late on IT projects so I can be free during the day etc.

The additional roles I play go quite a way beyond "unpaid teaching assistant"

Now to me, my colleagues in the school and our SLT that seems like a great thing.

I doubt it will to RM & other companies and perhaps it doesn't to you but I believe that there is a great deal of value being thrown away there.

As I said earlier, to some staff & schools managed services will be a good thing. Others may lose a great deal beyond ICT.

I suggest a change in career before BSF hits you.
    Having worked in educational establishment for 23 years (most of my working life) I love it. I enjoy work and really don't want to be in any other sector - if I did I could have taken many opportunities offered to me over the years.

Happily BSF is quite a way off for us and hopefully by then someone may have seen sense and realised managed services are, perhaps, throwing the baby out with the bath water!
    Last edited by jcollings; 12th November 2009 at 05:22 PM.

14. Thanks to jcollings from:

simpsonj (18th November 2009)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jcollings View Post
    No - I'm an IT Manager who happens to work in a school where there is value seen in allowing staff a bit of freedom by letting them play broader role in school life. This doesn't just apply to me - many of the support staff are involved in things outside their employed role.

My IT work is outstanding (the Head's words, not mine) and doesn't suffer a bit as a result, additionally the school gets a great deal of extra time out of me because I often work late on IT projects so I can be free during the day etc.

The additional roles I play go quite a way beyond "unpaid teaching assistant"

Now to me, my colleagues in the school and our SLT that seems like a great thing.

I doubt it will to RM & other companies and perhaps it doesn't to you but I believe that there is a great deal of value being thrown away there.

As I said earlier, to some staff & schools managed services will be a good thing. Others may lose a great deal beyond ICT.

Having worked in educational establishment for 23 years (most of my working life) I love it. I enjoy work and really don't want to be in any other sector - if I did I could have taken many opportunities offered to me over the years.

Happily BSF is quite a way off for us and hopefully by then someone may have seen sense and realised managed services are, perhaps, throwing the baby out with the bath water!
    We're just about at BSF, everyone TUPE's on 1st Feb 2010 to Northgate.

At my School I'm Strategic ICT Manager, I manage the Network Manager, do the buying, control the Whole School ICT budget etc, as well as everything from hands on repairs, toners, passwords through to strategic planning and implementation etc.

BUT I also sing in the choir, play in the Big Band, Brass Group and Orchestra, am the Musical Director for the shows, look after Theatre lights and sound and many other bits and bats.

So the school decided NOT to TUPE me, I'll stay in their employment. It's YOUR OWN School in the majority of cases that decides who gets TUPE'd, and whilst they know I'll no longer have admin rights I'll still be a useful part of the IT team in negotiation with Northgate.

It's not as bad as people think if you talk to your Head well in advance.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by russdev View Post

Russ

Compassionate leave is a legal entitlement.
    Time off for dependants (compassionate leave) : Directgov - Parents

Thank Post
    So the school decided NOT to TUPE me, I'll stay in their employment. It's YOUR OWN School in the majority of cases that decides who gets TUPE'd, and whilst they know I'll no longer have admin rights I'll still be a useful part of the IT team in negotiation with Northgate.
    I was going to say the same thing. I think the only problem with this is that depending on your managed service provider you might be limited on what tasks you can perform on the new network.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast