+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
BSF Thread, BSF + TUPE = RM in United Kingdom (UK) Specific Forums; Originally Posted by PiqueABoo snip great post. So what happens? Well absolutely nothing I've yet seen mentioned about ICT comes ...
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PiqueABoo View Post
    snip
    great post.

So what happens? Well absolutely nothing I've yet seen mentioned about ICT comes anywhere close to being innovative enough to make a really significant difference: In many parts of the real-world it's mundane and some of it has been mundane for over a decade. But talking like that, saying "Ok, the plan is to catch up with current mainstream technology" doesn't get you the money does it?
    What you have to do is take all this relatively humdrum stuff and talk it up for all you're worth, as in over-enthuse, stir in whatever happens to be this week's mandatory jargon to "sell" it, tick all the boxes in the approved manner, magnify realistically achievable benefits by a couple of orders of magnitude, spin, spin, spin. But please don't start to believe it's truth.
    that to me sounds like the blueprint for getting hold of these 50k/100k/1bar grants or funding. Make out that what you intend to do is transformational and tick the right boxes so that it meets the latest buzzwords for the latest initiative. So make sure you include words like transform and 14-19 and lifelong learnign or whatever it is that nulabour or the body handing out the greenbacks are willing to splurge money on this week.

go a bit bluesky in other words....

also, this idea of transformation has pervaded almost every part of the public sector. You might be unfortunate to live or work under a council which are undertaking this business change or business transformation agenda. The private sector lick their lips and the prospect of the millions that come their way from all this reinventing of the wheel.

Thank Post
    Being a queue-driven onsite technician may not be a lot of fun for many; it means initial problem determination is done by a remote helpdesk, who will log the call & schedule a repair action, adding it to your work queue.
    in my first job i was a second line technician where my main resposnibility was in responding to logged helpdesk tickets. I must admit, i don't think i could have dealt with the banality of flitting through for what seemed like hours every day, the queue of jobs i couldn't accomplish because i knew we were waiting on something or someone. Or responding to call after call about dial-in problems. [taking a user through those over the phone would try the patience of a saint] We had a system of prioritising jobs but our SLAs were nowhere near of the 'you miss you get fined' variety. that's probably because at that point we hadn't been outsourced.
    [they made my higher paid colleages redundant one by one, a bit of 'natural wastage' and then moved the helpdesk function to india soon after i had left]

I don't really think i could go back to such a role without atleast having the monotony broken by some serious project work.

A queue driven onsite technician reponsing solely to respond helpdesk tickets is just robotic. How long before it get's self-service like the nhs to save on the telephone and physical presence resources.

You know how it is, you go the GP about something and nothing, he/she explains why they won't be prescribing you anti-biotics and then writes down a URL where you can find out more about the common cold and therefore the intimation is to do some sort of self diagnosis without wasting everyone's time subsequently. That's probably too much to expect from teachers and various end users i know, to know what's causing very basic faults they are experience or basic steps like laptop fn key combo's but i see these knowledge management systems becoming more common for basic diagnosis. Pity the poor helpdesk drone after all.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by torledo View Post
    I don't really think i could go back to such a role without atleast having the monotony broken by some serious project work.
    I agree; I try to make sure the two technicians who work with me always have one or more projects ongoing; it's good for their personal skill development & they are encouraged to keep on top of the 'routine' work to enable them time to work on their projects. I feel this is much better for staff morale than having the fear of retribution if they take too long on a job. Unfortunately I don't see how this can work in the BSF world that we will inhabit in the future.
    Last edited by broc; 28th September 2009 at 08:24 AM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    If there's one thing missing in our school, even without bsf, it's person or persons who show the teachers how to get the best out of their ict usage and facilitate ideas across the departments. Teachers haven't got time to teach other teachers what to do and thus we end up with 20 different ways of varying efficiency of doing the same tasks. Such a role would be ideal for technicians about to turned into mouse-changers.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345