+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
BSF Thread, Continuity of Service before/during BSF in United Kingdom (UK) Specific Forums; Just threw a huge spanner in the works with our BSF plans seeing as noone had noticed the gaping hole ...
    Thank Post

Angry Continuity of Service before/during BSF

Just threw a huge spanner in the works with our BSF plans seeing as noone had noticed the gaping hole in their rebuild ideas.

Main Internet connection comes into site A, main network currently routes from site A to site B (200 yards away) to connect the two sites. Link to site A is critical to keep connection to Internet and LEA for teaching and learning, purchasing through county, SIMS, yadda yadda yadda....

BSF Build plans:
    Site A is having a new building slapped on the side when BSF build starts.
    Site A staff and pupils then move into new building on Site A, freeing up Site A.
    Network is not connected to existing network as new infrastructure about to be built in Site A.
    Site A is gutted and renovated, new network infrastructure installed and server room moved.
    Site B staff and pupils move into renovated site A and the new site A is switched on with managed service.
    Site B is demolished.

"So... what happens in the 18 month gap of renovation where you turn the network off to the school, don't have a network running in your new building and are still teaching?" says I to the SMT and the BSF team that were in.

"Uh... er..... we hadn't thought of that... oh... that might affect the other schools who are doing the same in the LEA"

"yes.. I should imagine it would. I should imagine you want to put a continuity of service clause and penalty in any contracts you're negotiating!"

I'm out of here (as probably are the rest of my team) before managed service kicks in...(my contract is a fixed 2 year one which runs out about 9 months before the managed service is due to kick in) so we'll not have anyone in here potentially who will be able to link systems or sort problems.

Then.. it gets better...

"What happens 5 years down the line?" says I

"What do you mean?" says SMT & BSF guys...

"Well.. your contracts with managed services seem to be a 5 year fixed and you're talking about infrastructure bits in with that. So.. in 5 years, you're potentially in the position where you A> don't have any staff in the building who look after your IT infrastructure or know how it runs and B> don't actually have any infrastructure to run on a day to day basis"

"....er... well... oh... we hadn't thought of that...."

"For someone who is PAID to THINK about these things.. don't you THINK it's about time you ACTUALLY DID!?!?!?!?"

BSF.... FAIL.

Why is it that the people who are in charge of the whole process who were put in charge because they were supposed to THINK things through and CONTINUE to keep education running are doing their hardest to STOP the teaching and learning process!?!?!?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,107 Times in 785 Posts
    @tsky:
    Absolutely spot on.

Here in our county, devolved capital has been put on hold due to the BSF and any schools who had plans to expand and have the contractors waiting are having to cancel but still pay for the work done so far.

Why is it that the people who work at the top get it so wrong all of the time and waste valuable tax payers money to boot.

Our first BSF beacon school had no IT when it opened for business and the staff were not happy because they haven't had the input and the building is basically not fit for purpose.

If I didn't laugh so hard I would cry

3. Thanks to bossman from:

webman (4th June 2009)

Thank Post
    Once you're tuped you stay tuped, it doesn't matter who the MSP is, or if the MSP changes. If the current MSP fails to deliver you get someone else in who takes over the current tuped staff and the infrastructure, provided that someone else wants to put in a bid, at this point I'm scratching my head as to what happens next. Can anyone offer clarification on this point?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Scott adams put it best when he wote this:
    [Dilbert] Why does it seem as if most of the decisions in my workplace are made be drunken lemurs?

[bin man] Decisions are made by people who have time not people who have talent.

[Dilbert] Why are talented people so busy?
    [bin man] They're fixing the problems made by the people who have time.

6. 11 Thanks to DAckroyd:

achedgy (5th June 2009), alan-d (5th June 2009), Bezwick (4th June 2009), bossman (4th June 2009), Cache (17th August 2009), deanc (6th June 2009), GrumbleDook (4th June 2009), mpe (4th June 2009), salan (8th June 2009), Sylv3r (4th June 2009), webman (4th June 2009)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tsky View Post

"So... what happens in the 18 month gap of renovation where you turn the network off to the school, don't have a network running in your new building and are still teaching?" says I to the SMT and the BSF team that were in.
    You mean you were CONSULTED?

There's a novelty..... must make a note of that.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,033 Times in 813 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by beeswax View Post
    Once you're tuped you stay tuped, it doesn't matter who the MSP is, or if the MSP changes. If the current MSP fails to deliver you get someone else in who takes over the current tuped staff and the infrastructure, provided that someone else wants to put in a bid, at this point I'm scratching my head as to what happens next. Can anyone offer clarification on this point?
    you could conceivably be Tuped back to the school/LA
    I know of non-it contracts where local councils have outsourced a service, only to bring it back in house a couple of years later when they realise it was a waste of money. People i know with that contract got tuped twice, only the management changed.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by broc View Post
    You mean you were CONSULTED?

There's a novelty..... must make a note of that.
    No, not consulted whatsoever - I just gatecrashed one of their high-fly meetings.
    I'm good at gatecrashing and spoiling "aren't we wonderful!" parties.

Thank Post
    No, not consulted whatsoever - I just gatecrashed one of their high-fly meetings.
    Now that sounds more like it, you had me worried that support staff were being involved for a moment

I think we are excluded from these meetings because all we do is find problems with their 'grand' plans ......

mpe

Thank Post
    No doubt they'll be taking steps to prevent you from doing so in future. Including making sure that you either don't know the time and venue or deliberatly picking times where you are elsewhere.

mpe

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by broc View Post
    Now that sounds more like it, you had me worried that support staff were being involved for a moment

I think we are excluded from these meetings because all we do is find problems with their 'grand' plans ......
    It's generally easier to bluff people who don't know anything about the issues involved. Also who don't even know the right questions to ask.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,888 Times in 1,169 Posts
    Blog Entries
    *sigh* It isn't rocket science really ...

Existing building has connection.

New building is constructed and kitted out with a temp connection between the two buildings.

New line is run into the new building (but not connected)

New building is finished and people start moving across

New line is connected and old one disconnected.

Old building *still has connectivity due to the temp line*

Old building decommissioned.

Temp connection removed.

Old building knocked down.

Ok ... that will be £1500 please.

Thank Post
    *sigh* It isn't rocket science really ...
    Wrong - it isn't rocket science in the real-world and that's not where we are. The above rings so many bells I could go deaf.

Thank Post
    Why arn't current ICT support and service providers included in the initial planning, surely it would be in the best interest for all those involved? Or is it assumed that all existing ICT support staff are incompetent and all existing ICT infrastructure is defunct and outdated?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tallwood_6 View Post
    is it assumed that all existing ICT support staff are incompetent and all existing ICT infrastructure is defunct and outdated?
    Yep.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tallwood_6 View Post
    and all existing ICT infrastructure is defunct and outdated?
    it is here! - couple of weeks back we removed a hub from a switch cabenet

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast