+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
BSF Thread, Are BSF ICT Contracts Profitable for the ICT Companies? in United Kingdom (UK) Specific Forums; Originally Posted by broc If a service were to be cancelled and brought back in-house it would be up to ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by broc View Post
    If a service were to be cancelled and brought back in-house it would be up to the schools/LA to offer their ex-staff the opportunity to return to their employment, and up to the staff to decide whether to go. It does happen in commercial outsourcing contracts, but you are correct in saying there is no obligation for the school or LA to re-employ staff previously TUPE'd.

A more likely prospect is that the loss of the service contract would result in some staff facing redundancy, courtesy of the TUPE ETO get out of jail card held by the MSP.
    I was emphatically told by the bod responsible for negotiating our BSF deal that there was no chance of us being re employed by the schools. Now, saying never is not a clever thing, as we don't know what the future will bring, but I sometimes get the impression that our meetings are a necessary evil.

Thank Post
    If they serve crap coffee and the contract says they have to serve good coffee then there are penalties.
    Yes but that's a discount off the bill, it doesn't necessarily get you good coffee? And if it does taste like dishwater we'll probably still have people on both sides of the contractual fence claiming it's just like blue mountain.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by beeswax View Post
    I was emphatically told by the bod responsible for negotiating our BSF deal that there was no chance of us being re employed by the schools. Now, saying never is not a clever thing, as we don't know what the future will bring, but I sometimes get the impression that our meetings are a necessary evil.
    I think saying 'no chance' reflects the strength of political will behind BSF and managed services. The LAs need all schools to opt-in, because the very flakey financial business model that underpins BSF (and particularly ICT managed services) falls apart if schools decide to opt-out.

Like grumbledook, I look forward to the day a school is successful in its bid to achieve BSF funding without being part of a managed service. I don't hold out much hope however, having seen (as a Governor) how schools are 'leaned' on by the LAs.

As far as meetings with staff are concerned, it seems very little consultation has taken place with staff during the first few waves of BSF; I would like to think that this might improve with later waves, especially if school ICT staff stop burying their head in the sands and wake up to the reality of BSF and start to lobby their SMT and LA to be included in the discussions earlier and with greater involvement.

Also, be wary of the SMT that tells you they won't give in to BSF.... most will, when the Director of Childrens Services & LA tells them to. They won't put their jobs on the line to save yours

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PiqueABoo View Post
    Yes but that's a discount off the bill, it doesn't necessarily get you good coffee? And if it does taste like dishwater we'll probably still have people on both sides of the contractual fence claiming it's just like blue mountain.
    You are right, and what use is it paying schools because the network has crashed and all the lessons are wiped out?

In any case, the managed services provider will have taken into account the chances of a school losing the network & them having to pay penalties and inflated their bid price to insure against having to pay out

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234