+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
BSF Thread, New School wishlist in United Kingdom (UK) Specific Forums; markman: it sounds like you are writing the output spec for BSF in your authority. If this is the case, ...
    Thank Post
    markman: it sounds like you are writing the output spec for BSF in your authority. If this is the case, as far as I am aware you cannot specify technologies. For example all rooms to be cabled with cat6. You can only state what you would like to be able to achieve with said equipment. Hence the term output spec.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by markman View Post
    Which LEA are you under Broc? I am at a Manchester school and will be under the control of Ramesys.
    @markman PM Sent

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Domino View Post
    is that really what you'd ask for over everything in a school - something thats not really hard or expensive anyway?

my top priority would be extendability.

Schools tend to buy/plan for the here and now, and forget that things might change.

Double wide cable runs, extendable power deployment, server racks/aircon and proper spacing for not only server rooms but a workshop also.

...or maybe I'm just too jaded and cynical
    I don't think there's anything wrong with asking for blade servers and i also think it's quite important.....it's actually a very sensible purchase from the point of view of having scalability for your servers.....blades can get quite expensive when you factor in FC and ethernet switches integral to the chassis, redundancy of components and a fully populated chassis and software licensing for vmware.

I wouldn't take any chances, i'd order a blade system based on future requirements now, becuase one or two blade vendors have previous when it comes to discontinuing compatible blades for older chassis. You don't want to buy a blade chassis and worry about not being able to get new modules and servers.

SAN would defintely be on the shopping list also. And scalable NAS or a NAS gateway to connect to the SAN storage. And get all the licensing you need for the SAN as you'd get discounts off inital purchase that might not be available late on. If your going to do it from scratch might aswell do it right.

You can make a case for every area.......UPS and aircon are also crucial.

Thank Post
    I bought Blades and it was the worst thing I ever did... Far better (if you have space) to buy big boxes and virtualise the server software so you can move it to a different big box when that one gets to old/fails etc. Blade chassis mean you have to buy from the same supplier who then discontinues that model and your stuffed

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Face-Man View Post
    I bought Blades and it was the worst thing I ever did... Far better (if you have space) to buy big boxes and virtualise the server software so you can move it to a different big box when that one gets to old/fails etc. Blade chassis mean you have to buy from the same supplier who then discontinues that model and your stuffed
    That's why i say overprovision if you've got the budget on blades, or alternatively go with a manufacturer who can atleast provide a decent level of backward compatability with new blades or will continue to support and sell older blade chassis. IBM have been strong in this area. I'm guessing you went with a HP or Dell. Vendors have to balance adding new features with not leaving existing customers out in the cold, i still think they're trying to get to grips with that.

The argument for going with one big box is a good one mind you......there's a school of thought that says a big four socket box is better than blades for virtualization.......but seeing as you can get dual and quad socket blades i don't see why blades aren't equally as good for virtualization.

The thing with blades is you'd want reduancy of all components so that you've got that protection that will allow you to carry on managing the box if a mgmt module, I/O module or power supply goes down. For me the biggest plus point is reducing the amount of cables in the back of the rack to manage....if you've got a SAN you've got a lot of cables and external switches to manage with even a modest number of rack mounted servers. With blades it's aggregtion in a box....that can be handy.

I'd still keep a 2 socket box or two lying around for DR.....not confident enough to put all eggs in the blade basket just yet. They can't match big unix iron for RAS....maybe one day.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12