+ Post New Thread
BSF Thread, BSF Mandatory or Optional in United Kingdom (UK) Specific Forums; Right I've been talking to my SLMT recently, as I have changed roles. I have continually mentioned BSF to them, ...
    Thank Post

BSF Mandatory or Optional

Right I've been talking to my SLMT recently, as I have changed roles.

I have continually mentioned BSF to them, and they have said to me that, now that we are a Trust School (before this we were a Foundation school, etc, etc) we won't have to go through BSF.

Is this true ?

I have had a look around, and I can't tell if BSF is something we can opt out of. I'd like to think they were right, but there's only Tollbar Academy that have said "No!", and they've just been moved to a later phase by their LA.

Mind you, even if it is optional, who's going to turn down the money... ?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,814 Times in 1,126 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Nope ... it applies to trust schools too.

They may get more say as trust schools tend to be more vocal, but if the funds for the PFI build come in via the BSF stream then it is BSF.

The school may have decided to completely opt out of the BSF stream and rely on one of the Trust partners to deliver the millions of pounds for the new buildings but the LA (which still has some say), OFSTED and DCSF may disagree with the direction of the school and politely tell you to toe the line.

Becoming an Academy can give you more control (if it is not funded via the BSF stream) but if you want a new build then the school will be asked what changes are the making to the direction and vision of the school ...

Thank Post
    Yeah, that's what I thought, and that's what I've been saying to them.

But they've been disagreeing with me.. they are the Top level management, so there is an an thought that they might know what they're talking about.... I say Might.

There is no Trust Partner... that I am aware of.. so no funding there.

Do you, or anyone, have a link or location where I can get some documentation that I can then show to the SLT/SMT ?

We're not due for BSF 'til wave 12-14, which is not until 2012 at the earliest, but I'd like to be prepared, as that's the time when the school will have it's lowest school rolls, so money will be even tighter anyway.

Thank Post

Wirral BSF

Out of interest, what are Wirral Schools up against BSF wise - who have Wirral LEA designated as their Managed Service Provider etc? RM? Thanks for the info, I am at a Liverpool school now, but was previusly a NM at a Wirral School

Thank Post
    It is not the case that BSF ICT Managed services are mandatory - they just appear that way. I believe Hammersmith and Fulham may have successfully opted out and other authorities are negotiating exits. The other hope for schools faced with managed services they don't want is large scale screw-up like the pathfinding car-crash that is Greenwich.

Thank Post

Zombie Threads

Quote Originally Posted by scouselpl View Post
    Out of interest, what are Wirral Schools up against BSF wise - who have Wirral LEA designated as their Managed Service Provider etc? RM? Thanks for the info, I am at a Liverpool school now, but was previusly a NM at a Wirral School

We're still a few years off it yet.

We're in phases 12-14, so they've (Wirral LA) not done anything apart from one or two pathfinder schools.
    Or, if they have, but not told anyone..

... I have checked, and it appears the pathfinder school has gone to RM.. no other details.. apparently it's top-secret, well, the meeting minutes link to a page thats says... blah blah blah .. no reasons for not saying... blah
    Last edited by User3204; 10th July 2009 at 09:03 PM. Reason: Updated - I checked the Wirral.gov.uk forum minutes

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread