+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
BSF Thread, Hackney teacher's view of BSF in United Kingdom (UK) Specific Forums; Originally Posted by localzuk People keep saying that 'schools have to make their requirements known from the start' but how ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    People keep saying that 'schools have to make their requirements known from the start' but how can they do this? There have been a good number of people on here mentioning how the IT staff have been ignored, or only involved after all the main decisions have been made - such as the choice of a provider.

And then, regardless of what individual requirements your school have stated, do you really think your LEA will pass them all on to the LEP, if they have obscurities compared with others? No. They'll draw a line, taking all the common bits and create a one size fits all approach, else the costs will increase dramatically, as the provider will have to support a load of different systems - completely defeating the object of the managed service in the first place.

Putting it this way - the only way BSF managed services can work is if they ignore the individual demands of schools. It would not be financially viable otherwise.
    Disagree you can make difference but you need to play politics this not an overnight thing we have known about it for years. So question people have to ask is what have I been doing in past 3 years to make sure I can make a difference.

Russ

Russ

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by russdev View Post
    Disagree you can make difference but you need to play politics this not an overnight thing we have known about it for years. So question people have to ask is what have I been doing in past 3 years to make sure I can make a difference.

Russ

Russ
    @Russ,

I agree with you.... but it only works .....

IF you are kept in the frame, and are invited to meetings;

IF you are asked for your opinion;

IF you are allowed to help draft the school vision statement, the LA vision statement, the draft output spec supplied to bidders, and review & comment upon the bidders response to the draft output spec and the final solution design.

In practice however, how many people here have been involved in any or all of these stages of the BSF process? Not many would be my guess......

The LAs, PfS, & bidders don't want school ICT staff involved in the process because we ask too many questions and flag up too many issues & problems & make life awkward for them.....

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    That is where Politics has to come in I have spent last two years making sure as school and myself that we am invited in. It is hard work but politics is. I do understand we shouldn't have to but fact is we have to we can't change system so we have to play the system.

Welcome to world of politics...

Russ

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by russdev View Post
    That is where Politics has to come in I have spent last two years making sure as school and myself that we am invited in. It is hard work but politics is. I do understand we shouldn't have to but fact is we have to we can't change system so we have to play the system.

Welcome to world of politics...

Russ
    Agreed, but the politics cuts both ways.....when the LA says to you "if as chair of governors you don't sign up for the managed ICT service you will jeopardise the entire £xxm BSF funding for the Authority affecting x thousand childrens education" and then uses the same argument to pick off the other Governing bodies of affected schools one by one....

As you say... Politics.... it's a dirty business

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12