+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
BSF Thread, BSF Prison in United Kingdom (UK) Specific Forums; The one of the prison seems to be lighter and brighter....
    Thank Post
    The one of the prison seems to be lighter and brighter.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,053 Times in 922 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by russdev View Post
    LOL, Your famous Webman

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kylewilliamson View Post
    I assumed that the net was for the school...
    Well it fooled me. I just assumed the one on the left was a US style high school new build, the noticeboards on the outside of the classroooms also gave that impression.

If the one on the left is indeed a BSF school.......then i quite like it. Nice clean design, looks solid striaght out of Porridge. Good stuff....what are you all whining about.....preparing our kids for a life penned up in a two bed barrat rabbit hutch or doing bird at her majesty's pleasure......very realistic and much better than all that open plan cr*p.
    Last edited by torledo; 14th November 2008 at 07:55 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dezt View Post
    Did somebody shout "lights out" just before they all went off as well.....
    Nah - it was only the trip switch... the caretaker wasn't allowed to flick it back on though - he had to fill in a form in triplicate using goat's blood extracted under a full moon whilst singing 'I'm a pink toothbrush, you're a blue toothbrush'.
    This he had to submit on the next working day (measured in Botswana time).
    The request was duly processed by a team of engineers over the next 36 hours... oooppps, sorry, days. Each engineer being on a salary of 3 times that of the caretaker.
    Eventually he got permission to flick the trip switch back on, only to find that there had been a general election in the meantime and his new school would be moving back into it's old premises so the new one could become a prison.

6. Thanks to Netman from:

tech_guy (17th November 2008)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkeh View Post
    Haha!

I am attending night classes at a recently open BSF school. As we walked in for the first time, a fair few people all said "Urgh it looks like a prison!"

It looks really cheap and unfinished. Bare concrete walls and ceilings have been left unfinished, although apparently thats fashionable. Last night, all the lights stopped work.
    most the other surfaces dark grey too? think i know which 1 you mean if thats the case

Thank Post

Talking

Just to keep the fun going, here's another prison-related thought (and related blog post)

According to the Council of Europe, in order to avoid torture or degrading treatment, prisoners must be given 8.5 square metres of cell space per prisoner

According to BB98 (the building guidance for schools, which many BSF suppliers are working to), schools should provide 4 square metres of teaching space per pupil.

(This 4m2 per pupil increases to 6m2 if you include other space, such as school hall, sporting buildings and the staff room)

Neither of these are mandatory - it appears that according to the Council of Europe, we don't build cells big enough.

And the DCSF have been keen to point out to BSF builders that BB98 is only guidance - they can build however they want, and allocate as much space as they can afford to pupils.

However, I'm not sure if the message re BB98 has reached builders widely - anybody know?

Thank Post
    Isn't the net for the prison, to stop criminals throwing things during lock-downs/riots?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    I always thought the idea of designing something was to make it functional first, then make it pretty. They seem to be doing it the other way round here - thinking about prettiness then sticking rooms inside.

Unplastered walls cause lots of echo, large open areas are usually a nightmare to work in - so these new foyer areas they are putting in are going to be atrocious. It's simply bad design.
    The design brief from HM Govt to the architects from the very beginning of BSF was to make an impact.... this rapidly became an design exercise where form is more important than function....

In a planning meeting with the architects I once suggested that the most effective way of designing a school would be to built a 'shed' (DIY superstore type building) where internal walls & services could be re-deployed as the curriculum needs changed. The architects response was "it wouldn't look pretty & we wouldn't get any awards....."

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rayfleming View Post
    Just to keep the fun going, here's another prison-related thought (and related blog post)

According to the Council of Europe, in order to avoid torture or degrading treatment, prisoners must be given 8.5 square metres of cell space per prisoner

According to BB98 (the building guidance for schools, which many BSF suppliers are working to), schools should provide 4 square metres of teaching space per pupil.

(This 4m2 per pupil increases to 6m2 if you include other space, such as school hall, sporting buildings and the staff room)

Neither of these are mandatory - it appears that according to the Council of Europe, we don't build cells big enough.

And the DCSF have been keen to point out to BSF builders that BB98 is only guidance - they can build however they want, and allocate as much space as they can afford to pupils.

However, I'm not sure if the message re BB98 has reached builders widely - anybody know?
    BB98 sadly is used by the LAs as a yardstick to keep the footprint size down (& reduce costs). Also, schools suffering falling rolls are being designed to accomodate the planned number of students at opening; no slack is being allowed, and it seems little or no consideration is being given to any future population increase during the lifetime of the schools....

I heard of one school where part of a building linking two classroom blocks is being demolished and replaced with an open covered walkway as this saves 'footprint' to be used elsewhere in the rebuild.....
    Last edited by broc; 17th November 2008 at 11:16 AM.

Thank Post
    They have obviously taken a nto from the Simpson. No-one ever seen the episode where the shcool is used to house convicts? Use the same design for both prison and school and they become "multi-purpose workspaces". & then if the school fails with minimum building work the site can be converted

All seems sensible to me.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by broc View Post
    The design brief from HM Govt to the architects from the very beginning of BSF was to make an impact.... this rapidly became an design exercise where form is more important than function....

In a planning meeting with the architects I once suggested that the most effective way of designing a school would be to built a 'shed' (DIY superstore type building) where internal walls & services could be re-deployed as the curriculum needs changed. The architects response was "it wouldn't look pretty & we wouldn't get any awards....."
    I reckon a shed type building would be a hell of a lot more cost effective, i'd imagine they'd be a lot cheaper to heat and cool with space heaters rather than expensive and higher maintenance air conditioning or water heated systems.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by torledo View Post
    I reckon a shed type building would be a hell of a lot more cost effective,
    It would be a terrible place to work; no natural light and think of the noise!

We still have a big "School Room" where the whole school was taught in one room, the acoustics are vile for any other use.

Thank Post
    Natural light is fine... in theory, it depends upon how it is delivered...

We have a so-called 21st century classroom, built 5 years ago. It has so much natural light that you cannot use an Interactive whiteboard or projector. The building is aligned east/west, so at certain times of the year when the sun is low you are blinded. It has a 'natural' ventilation system, and electric underfloor heating. It takes the heating 2 days to get the building comfortable .... shame the weather is not so predictable & of course its tough in winter when the heating is turned off over the weekend and does not get turned back on until Monday am. As for cooling during the summer, forget it, the pathetic roof venting system means everyone bakes.... you have to open the fire doors otherwise the kids faint...

We have other parts of the school (15-20 years old) with lots of natural light too. On a sunny day you cannot see their IWBs either.

Of course, we can expect the BSF architects to have learned from previous mistakes can't we?

That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,345 Times in 743 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Netman View Post
    Nah - it was only the trip switch... the caretaker wasn't allowed to flick it back on though - he had to fill in a form in triplicate using goat's blood extracted under a full moon whilst singing 'I'm a pink toothbrush, you're a blue toothbrush'.
    This he had to submit on the next working day (measured in Botswana time).
    The request was duly processed by a team of engineers over the next 36 hours... oooppps, sorry, days. Each engineer being on a salary of 3 times that of the caretaker.
    Eventually he got permission to flick the trip switch back on, only to find that there had been a general election in the meantime and his new school would be moving back into it's old premises so the new one could become a prison.

Lol, ace post -really funny!

17. Thanks to tech_guy from:

Netman (17th November 2008)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast