+ Post New Thread
BSF Thread, BSF & Norfolk in United Kingdom (UK) Specific Forums; Anyone know what is going on with BSF in Norfolk? I wasnt lucky enough to be at the Network Managers ...
    Thank Post

BSF & Norfolk

Anyone know what is going on with BSF in Norfolk? I wasnt lucky enough to be at the Network Managers Conference where it was raised so dont have anything to go by apart from a rough date of September 09.

Any info greatly appreciated

Thank Post
    I'd be interested as well... Having recently started at my current school (6 months ish) i was a little unnerved to hear SLT were talking to reps from county about BSF in the last couple of weeks. Our site is getting increasingly crowded and the possibility of a new build is very attractive to the powers that be. Don't blame them at all, but i've heard the stories of how ICT staff are treated under BSF...

Thank Post
    If it's like Cambs, IT will be done centrally, you might have a toner drone.

Come to Suffolk, we're still in the stone age, we still use humans

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,707 Times in 1,520 Posts
    I expect bsf will be like everything else we won't know anything concrete until we get our P45's

Ben

Thank Post
    If its done in the usual county way (MRS anyone??) then plexer is right.

I had heard though that 12 months before the BSF provider starts we shouldnt be purchasing any new kit, as I heard this date is September (not from official source mind you) then they might want to mention this to schools sometime very soon!

As a slight aside, does anyone know what happens if your school becomes a foundation school? Do they still come under BSF? And what about if the building itself was done under a different scheme (i.e. not BSF) does that make any difference?

Dont really know why I'm bothering really, I'm pretty sure our school will accept anything given to them!

Jay

Thank Post
    As far as I'm aware your schools will have to sign up to BSF, its not imposed from above, although the money available may have have some influence on the SMT.

I don't know a huge amount yet but its one of the things thats being talked about a fair amount at the moment. I think county are looking at various models of how it could be done. External supplier is one, LEP (local education partnership i think) is another, no doubt there are others.

Its highly probable that most of us at ICT solutions will be tupied across to whatever new ICT support unit is created. Can't say i really mind personally, as long as we all get the chance to influence and improve things it could be a good thing, some times we seem to be very distant from one another (county IT/schools IT).

Jay

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BaccyNet View Post
    ...........as I heard this date is September (not from official source mind you) then they might want to mention this to schools sometime very soon!
    Nope, September is when the decision on the model is due to be made or at least the papers published. I think we start 2011 for implementation.

I found this on the schools website, have to admit its the first time I can recall seeing it, seems fairly new (Nov).

Norfolk Schools - Building Schools for the Future

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by matt40k View Post
    If it's like Cambs, IT will be done centrally, you might have a toner drone.

Come to Suffolk, we're still in the stone age, we still use humans
    Im a human - although we have had the first phase meetings and i raised the question about it and BSF - we were given the papers from the government on the guidelines of what the LA should do - basically it is that the LA takes on the it centrally Meaning that all our fecking hard work is down the drain Got another 4 yrs before we have to worry though and with the current situation with money or lack of it and the government i doubt it'll happen anyway

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,707 Times in 1,520 Posts
    Ok from the last conference if you didn't go.

Norfolk have put in an expression of interest to bring BSF forward from a 2011 start to a 2010 start.

They have also put in a request to allow for one lep for all waves rather than having possibly different leps for the different waves.

Theres is a document on the ict forum which you should be able to login via your old esinet email address that lists what schools will be done when.

We will not have a choice as far as I can see if we are included or not so it is being imposed by the LEA.

Ben

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread