+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
BSF Thread, Is There A Future For Network Managers Post BSF? in United Kingdom (UK) Specific Forums; ...
    Thank Post

Is There A Future For Network Managers Post BSF?

(note to the person who likes to forward my postings to the head ... this is in my own time AND NOT a posting representing the school)

Ok, so everything could be all right for some ICT technicians once they get taken over by the MSP chosen by their LEA: there will always be a need for toner and mouse changers
    However, what about us Network Managers? No MSP is going to pay >£24000 for us to do the same, so does anyone in an already BSF'd area have any experiences of this?
    Will we end up being forced to quit, forced to travel to alternative areas or what?

Obviously the earlier phases didn't have the MSP forced upon them, but for those that did, what was the outcome... are there any of us left in the aftermath and did it give you any career/job benefits?
    Although I may always seem to be totally anti-BSF if there is a light at the end of the tunnel then I'm all for embracing it. I just don't want to see all my hard work thrown away and my career with it.
    Have you been bogged down with "paperwork" or have your new bosses been flexible?

We are very much in the dark here and it's sometimes quite scary (families to keep and bills to pay!!!!)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Richie_OLSJ View Post
    (note to the person who likes to forward my postings to the head ... this is in my own time AND NOT a posting representing the school)

Ok, so everything could be all right for some ICT technicians once they get taken over by the MSP chosen by their LEA: there will always be a need for toner and mouse changers
    However, what about us Network Managers? No MSP is going to pay >£24000 for us to do the same, so does anyone in an already BSF'd area have any experiences of this?
    Will we end up being forced to quit, forced to travel to alternative areas or what?

Obviously the earlier phases didn't have the MSP forced upon them, but for those that did, what was the outcome... are there any of us left in the aftermath and did it give you any career/job benefits?
    Although I may always seem to be totally anti-BSF if there is a light at the end of the tunnel then I'm all for embracing it. I just don't want to see all my hard work thrown away and my career with it.
    Have you been bogged down with "paperwork" or have your new bosses been flexible?

We are very much in the dark here and it's sometimes quite scary (families to keep and bills to pay!!!!)
    In Hackney where RM is cutting back on the school staff Network Managers are applying for jobs in a pool.. so say 3 out of 6 will get employment..

But apart form that I doubt we will have a future as A. we wont have a Network to Manage and B. I doubt if the MSP will pay £30k+ for a toner drone

So far we have heard nothing form anyone important that has been TUPED

Thank Post
    Around 24K here, NM, Tuping in September. Staying at my school, protected terms and conditions, same hols, hours, place of work, admin rights to on-site servers once they go in, less preasure as I can escalate anything I like to the MSP, the buck stops with them. Being promiced training and oportunities, and getting loads of extra benefits that come with working for a large multi-national (Northgate). Better paternity/maternity, built-in life assurance, access to health schemes etc....

Will it be great for everyone? No. But I'm not gonna jump based on rumour and what people THINK it's gonna be like once the dust settles. I'm gonna stick around and do my best to make it work for my school.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Deaks View Post
    Around 24K here, NM, Tuping in September. Staying at my school, protected terms and conditions, same hols, hours, place of work, admin rights to on-site servers once they go in, less preasure as I can escalate anything I like to the MSP, the buck stops with them. Being promiced training and oportunities, and getting loads of extra benefits that come with working for a large multi-national (Northgate). Better paternity/maternity, built-in life assurance, access to health schemes etc....

Will it be great for everyone? No. But I'm not gonna jump based on rumour and what people THINK it's gonna be like once the dust settles. I'm gonna stick around and do my best to make it work for my school.
    Deaks you are one of the lucky ones to have Northgate.... RM is another story...

That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,345 Times in 743 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Grommit View Post
    RM is another story...

Thank Post

Was that also the case in Northern Ireland?

Thank Post
    NI is a completely different story. RM and Northgate both worked on that project and it has no connection with BSF.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Grommit View Post
    Deaks you are one of the lucky ones to have Northgate.... RM is another story...
    I don't understand why or how this is. From what I've read the TUPE process and the protection it affords is built into the BSF process. Anyone losing their jobs becuase of RM coming in as the MSP should be taking it up with their LEA and Unions.

Thank Post
    TUPE offers limited protection for terms and conditions of employment, not roles & responsibilities.

Let's suppose an MSP has vacancies for 3 NMs and they TUPE across 6. The 'best' 3 will get jobs as NMs, the others will be given something else to do, maybe by offering them roles as NMs at another LA some distance away, or by employing them to work locally as 'toner drones', albeit on NM terms and conditions.

After a year or so, the MSP can then decide to make the surplus NMs redundant under the ETO get-out conditions by simply saying they cannot afford to employ NMs as toner drones.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by broc View Post

After a year or so, the MSP can then decide to make the surplus NMs redundant under the ETO get-out conditions by simply saying they cannot afford to employ NMs as toner drones.
    It doesn't need to be after a year or so, TUPE allows the employer to make redundancy immediately provided they have disclosed it prior to the transfer.

11. Thanks to CyberNerd from:

artfulmatt (3rd September 2008)

Thank Post
    I work in a special school that only has 187 pupils. Northgate will be getting £128 per pupil per year. That doesn't even cover my current salary.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd View Post
    It doesn't need to be after a year or so, TUPE allows the employer to make redundancy immediately provided they have disclosed it prior to the transfer.
    True.

My example was intended to illustrate that the employer could get rid of staff even after they promised to give everyone a job & honour the terms & conditions of employment. By waiting a year they can safely avoid declaring their intention to shed staff as part of the initial TUPE phase.
    Last edited by broc; 15th July 2008 at 04:41 PM.

Thank Post
    I don't understand why or how this is. From what I've read the TUPE process and the protection it affords is built into the BSF process. Anyone losing their jobs becuase of RM coming in as the MSP should be taking it up with their LEA and Unions.

Because unlike Northgate some Managed Service Providors are not so free and easy with the Admin rights and *shock* some of them like Lewisham have server farms were an existing NM would never get access too..

And Deaks you have landed with your ass in the butter...

It is well known that in Hackney whee RM is taking over there will be job losses of ICT support staff and the LEA and the unions cannot do nothing about it.. as it is agreed with the LEA

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by broc View Post
    True.

My example was intended to illustrate that the employer could get rid of staff even after they promised to give everyone a job & honour the terms & conditions of employment. By waiting a year they can safely avoid declaring their intention to shed staff as part of the initial TUPE phase.
    They do not have to wait for a year.. they can get rid of you within a month for econmic reasons

Thank Post

merseyside area

Hi guys,

Is anyone aware of BSF intentions in the knowsley area of liverpool?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast