+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
BSF Thread, BSF - Trying to drive us out before hand? in United Kingdom (UK) Specific Forums; Originally Posted by monkeyx Unfortunately, one of the big things about outsourcing is that it changes the focus of your ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,154 Times in 982 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by monkeyx View Post
    Unfortunately, one of the big things about outsourcing is that it changes the focus of your job, away from the things that you used to do (like the actual job!)

Instead issues such as pay, who does what and when become a major focus of the job that does not go away for a considerable time.

Patience and time will help prove some of the obvious things that you are seeing that are wrong.

Many people often start looking for a new job, others actually like the new setup as they enjoy the politics etc that go along with this sort of transistion. Politics as you have already noticed has become a bigger part of your job than it used to be!
    Indeed. I wonder how many here will take great joy in the fact than when once you were demanded upon for unreasonable tasks that now the staff will be forced to follow procedures?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by srochford View Post
    I've not been involved at all in BSF but is there no possibility of going to work for the managed service providers outside the school?
    You are correct, there will be some real career opportunities for some, working for an MSP in LA-wide or even MSP-wide roles as many MSPs will have multiple clients. Equally well, there will be some real dead-end roles too, that will suit some (not many) people.

In between there will be the rest. Where people fit into the hierarchy will depend upon their skills & attitude.

So, a positive attitude and 'desireable' skills are likely be the key to securing a decent role in a managed environment.

And no, I have not gone to the 'dark' side of supporting BSF.....

Thank Post
    There's no point quibbling - they have us over a barrel - having been through TUPE outsourcing before - theres pretty much a carte blanche to do to you what they like. They only have to offer an "equivalent" position, and if you kick up - they can say that your new job is in (for example) Glasgow, then a month later in Exeter etc until you get so fed up you leave - as happened to former colleagues of mine. On the other hand for the politically skilled amongst us - big corps offer opportunities, though thats not much consolation to those of us who joined this sort of work precisely because we didn't want to work in big corporations any more.

Thank Post
    Don't get me wrong. Looking at the positive aspects of BSF is exactly what I am trying to do. After all, as we all know, BSF is here to stay and we might as well get on with it. I'm hoping as suggested, there will be room for career improvements and better opportunities. I just didn't expect the politics to be so bad prior to the TUPE actually taking place!

they can say that your new job is in (for example) Glasgow, then a month later in Exeter etc until you get so fed up you leave - as happened to former colleagues of mine.
    Isn't this clearly room for constructive dismissal?

From Directgov
    forcing you to accept unreasonable changes to your conditions of employment without your agreement (eg suddenly telling you to work in another town, or making you work night shifts when your contract is only for day work)
    Last edited by Zoom7000; 14th July 2008 at 03:07 PM.

Thank Post
    All TUPE agreements have standard ETO get-out clauses which allow employers to change the rules after you have been TUPE'd across, making the agreements valueless if suppliers choose:

Economic - we have to make you redundant because as a business we are going to the wall......

Technical - we have bid Unix/Thin client at your place of work, & you are Windows trained......

Organisation - we have consolidated our datacentres to xxxxxx (where xxxxxx is any town 200 miles from where you live) so your job is moving there & sorry we don't offer relocation. After 6 months it will be yyyyyy etc etc

Not that I am suggesting any MSPs will exploit any or all of these reasons for shedding staff of course.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12