+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
BSF Thread, Smoke Mirrors and BSF conmen in United Kingdom (UK) Specific Forums; Here we go ... From the Boss of RAMESYS.. in the School Governor Update School Governor Update brings you news, ...
    Thank Post

Smoke Mirrors and BSF conmen

Here we go ...

From the Boss of RAMESYS.. in the School Governor Update

School Governor Update brings you news, analysis, insight and practical guidance. Edited by David Gordon and published six times a year, it is the perfect companion for all school leaders and members of the governing body.

Overcoming common outsourcing concerns: BSF | Teaching Expertise

Overcoming common outsourcing concerns: BSF

Steve Smith makes the case to governors for outsourcing the ICT element of Building Schools for the Future projects

Thank Post
    What a load of c**p - scathing reply bound for tomorrow...

Thank Post
    Made my blood boil, until I read the end part explaining that he is a salesman, they lie worse/better (depends on perspective) than politicians.

I wonder how many governors will believe all that b*ll*cks?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Given the scale of each BSF project, it is inevitable that a level of disruption will be experienced.
    You mean like the fact that in 4 weeks they (Ramesys) are ripping out one of our main cabinets, effectively taking out 4 IT suites and 80% wifi coverage. They are yet to tell us their plan to keep these things running. They also haven't planned out where the current IT teacher will teach for the final two weeks of term while the are demolishing his room.
    We had heard that they didn't even appoint a project manager for this part of the work until last monday. Known about the work for months, appoint a manager with 5 weeks to go, who hasn't even bothered to come see us to find out where things go. For all they know, ripping out our library cab could wipe out everything in the school.
    Ho Hum

Thank Post
    But this is the { - ZH} that the Head Teachers and other decision making persons are being fed backed by the might of the BSF Consultants...... Very sad really

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    We've aired our concerns for the past two years, and it's got to the point now that I just think of the old saying:
    "Once the avalanche has begun, it is too late for the pebbles to vote"

Thank Post
    The best response to this sort of 'sales' speak is to ask the supplier to demonstrate with references where their solution is working on the same scale & more importantly where it has been working for a period of time. If they are truly confident in their ability to deliver they should welcome the opportunity to demonstrate this.

HT, Governors and even LAs need to be seeking school reference sites to speak to directly and make sure they choose which sites to contact, not allow the supplier to 'hand-pick' who they speak to.

The sort of messages conveyed by MK-2 & others need to be passed on to other schools & LAs going through the BSF procurement process now & in the future so they can judge the suitability of the supplier & their solutions.

Quite honestly though, only when there is a big enough body of schools running managed ICT services courtesy of BSF will we know for sure how well it works and if the suppliers promises hold true. The fact that BSF has so far only delivered 12-13 schools after 4 years against a target of 200 is a very telling story.

Thank Post

Its simple, we lost the propaganda war....

So this is the type of propaganda that the heads and governers have been fed backstage. Its sickening to think that this { - ZH} will not only cost me my job, but also in higher taxes in whatever job I get next.

BSF: A new coat of paint, a couple buildings (built from plasterboard and polyesterene) that last 20 years, and a managed service that WILL NOT deliver what they promised you.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TekkyMatt View Post
    So this is the type of propaganda that the heads and governers have been fed backstage. Its sickening to think that this { - ZH} will not only cost me my job, but also in higher taxes in whatever job I get next.

BSF: A new coat of paint, a couple buildings (built from plasterboard and polyesterene) that last 20 years, and a managed service that WILL NOT deliver what they promised you.
    Yep and when you come in and speak the truth you are branded as a spoilsport and someone that percieved as being negative about the "shiny new" ICT and who might ruin it all for the school... (as all the large important looking men from the Government in suits say so)

And the BSF have got this all worked out on how to squash the Network Managers opinons as rubbish and bad for the school..
    Last edited by Grommit; 12th June 2008 at 09:27 AM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

11. Thanks to webman from:

wesleyw (12th June 2008)

Thank Post
    List of Government stuffups but they still keep going..

1. NHS ICT
    2. NHS Outsourced Cleaning (failed and created the MRSA Bug)
    3. Supersurgeries (million opposed yet they still carry on)
    4. BSF Forced ICT Outsorcing)
    5. Academies
    6. Iraq War.. 2 million march in London and 60% Population opposed)

Yet people like Head Teachers and LA Officers are still believing them ....

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Grommit View Post
    List of Government stuffups but they still keep going..

1. NHS ICT
    2. NHS Outsourced Cleaning (failed and created the MRSA Bug)
    3. Supersurgeries (million opposed yet they still carry on)
    4. BSF Forced ICT Outsorcing)
    5. Academies
    6. Iraq War.. 2 million march in London and 60% Population opposed)

Yet people like Head Teachers and LA Officers are still believing them ....
    You forgot CSA, DVLA (a few years back), more recently the RAF Chinooks with software bugs that can't be used, the list is endless......

Sadly, BSF is a potentially good program despoiled by politics & the desire for profit.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by broc View Post
    You forgot CSA, DVLA (a few years back), more recently the RAF Chinooks with software bugs that can't be used, the list is endless......
    I understood the Chinook fiasco was because the Americans wouldn't release the source code for the aircraft to the RAF, and that the RAF wouldn't fly them unless they had full control of the aircraft. Not that there were any bugs.

Thank Post
    "Sharing control
    Many schools currently employ their own technical support staff, set their own ICT priorities, purchase software and control implementation.The concern therefore is that a partnership with a managed service provider might change this and consequently hamper innovation.
    In reality, good providers fully support in-house teams and work closely to encourage innovation."

I find this paragraph the most deceptive in the article, reading that fluff, you would assume the school retain their own technical staff, who would be supported by the MSP>

If it is true ICT is often the highest cost in school budgets after staffing and building costs, it's no wonder MSPs want to become the recipients of this cash.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd View Post
    I understood the Chinook fiasco was because the Americans wouldn't release the source code for the aircraft to the RAF, and that the RAF wouldn't fly them unless they had full control of the aircraft. Not that there were any bugs.
    According to the BBC

The Chinooks were originally supposed to be in service in 1998 but radar systems and software developed under a separate contract would not fit in the cockpit, the report said.

Take a look at this; BBC NEWS | UK | MoD accused of Chinook 'cock-up'

and

BBC NEWS | UK | Chinook blunder 'left RAF short'

Looks like a procurement problem to me.....

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast