+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
BSF Thread, Not quite BSF but..... in United Kingdom (UK) Specific Forums; Is this just another thing that will affect Network Managers and Technicians? Schools told to improve or close - BBC ...
    Thank Post

Not quite BSF but.....

Is this just another thing that will affect Network Managers and Technicians?

Schools told to improve or close - BBC - BBC NEWS | Education | Schools told to improve or close

When/if schools shutdown and merge into academy's they won't need as many ICT staff, so someone will lose out on the way.

Just wondering about any thoughts people had? It doesn't state a timeline, but they seem like they want it to go though pretty quickly, someone was quoting to me today they heard it is on this years exams, and the schools have 50 days? But that could just be rumours.

Jo

edit: Here is the list of schools: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/7444059.stm

edit again: I have just been reading about this on other forums and wondering if they do rebuild the schools as academy wouldn't that be an easy way of getting outsourced ict in place? Maybe it is more like bsf than I first thought....bsf in sheep's clothing.
    Last edited by linuxgirlie; 10th June 2008 at 12:12 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by linuxgirlie View Post
    edit again: I have just been reading about this on other forums and wondering if they do rebuild the schools as academy wouldn't that be an easy way of getting outsourced ict in place? Maybe it is more like bsf than I first thought....bsf in sheep's clothing.
    I have been wondering this - but it is quite possible - probable in fact that an academy could arrive many years before BSF takes effect in a particular area. Now if the idea of outsourcing is to centralise ICT for a group of schools for cost saving purposes, would that negate the argument to outsource ICT for academies?

Andy

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    It is BSF. The govt announced that it would be prioritising BSF money for failing schools. I think the advantage with this is that they can close the school, and sack all the failing teachers before re-opening a new school.

Thank Post
    Woo and Yay I'm on the list!

My school is on that list, and we are set to go academy in the next couple of years. We have had several meetings where information has been delivered to us regarding academy status and BSF and all that malarkay. As far as I have been made aware, the acedamy status is not only for failing schools, but also for those who are expected to do better than they are doing, if that makes sense. It is also a way of accessing the BSF money early, but will probably operate outside the LEP as it will be down to the academy board to decide one what happens with the school.
    In terms of outsourcing IT, as it is not the standard BSF project, it is likely to be an academy decision, but where there are other schools in the area with BSf in place, they will be more than likely to go down that route. Here we will be the first to receive the funding, and are therefore more likely to go our own way.
    This is all based on information given to us, quite what will happen will depend a lot on the academy sponsors, and the eventual academy board, and principal.

Lots of change, hopefully for the better, but the BSf worries are still present.

DC

Thank Post
    Let's see:

Kent still has Grammar schools. So, you cream off the highest achievers and supportive parents to the Grammar Schools then complain that the rest aren't doing so well!!!! Now, there's a surprise!

Other areas have schools with large numbers of pupils with special needs or no English when they arrive at 14 years. Major cities like Birmingham and Manchester. They don't do as well either. Another surprise!

In my own county the list includes schools that were earmarked for closure anyway so do you think this might have effected their results? Hmmmm.

I also note that this isn't new money but is being diverted from elsewhere in the budget.

WTF does the 30% come from? Has there been any research to enable anyone to say this is a reasonable target?

The cynicism of this Government is incredible.
    Last edited by SteveT; 10th June 2008 at 01:17 PM. Reason: spelling

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,787 Times in 1,110 Posts
    Blog Entries
    This list also fails to include schools that are in special measures already or on notice to improve from recent OFSTED, but above the 30% target (usually due to a very tailored curriculum so that students get English and Maths + a vocational course worth 4 GCSEs .. and not much else ... wait until they include science in the targets .. that will make it more interesting!) so the true number is actually higher. It also does include schools that are already assigned to BSF or Academies so any Govt funding that is supposedly 'new' money actually isn't for certain schools.

Thank Post
    If you look at the CVA for a large number of these so called struggling schools, they are doing an astounding job with the students they teach. As a lot of these school were already slatted for closure/academy status, this is just an exercise in spin.

The government can now say they are helping 50% of struggling schools by giving them more money and the other 50% have already helped themselves, just look at their CVA scores. Ta-Da, now vote for us. Please.

Thank Post
    We're on that list too but we are predicted to beat the 30% barrier this year. And we are also 1 of the first schools in Hull to become an academy anyway lol I see this as a way to get rid of the failing teachers so they dont have the hassles/same issues in the new academys.

I never understood why they thought a new building with the same kids, same teachers would solve the failing results! madness!

Thank Post
    Theare are academies in that list as well so will they become "schools" ?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mcloum View Post
    We're on that list too but we are predicted to beat the 30% barrier this year. And we are also 1 of the first schools in Hull to become an academy anyway lol I see this as a way to get rid of the failing teachers so they dont have the hassles/same issues in the new academys.

I never understood why they thought a new building with the same kids, same teachers would solve the failing results! madness!
    It is really hard to get rid of staff, even when becoming an Academy. THe biggest thing is to change the leadership of the school and change how the school operates ... by also changing the pay and conditions this is often seen as a way of encouraging certain staff to leave / move on.

The change in environment is regarded as one of a number of catalysts for change.

Academies are not a quick change option. Most operate on a 10 year plan which may include a number of radical changes, from the school day and holidays, through to how the students learn.

A new Head (usually a proven Head from somewhere else) gets a lot more freedom with how the school operates. 2 year KS3 (year 7 is all about transition and skill building rather than banging your head against a brick wall about fitting in the subjects, let's get literacy / numeracy / ict / learning skills sorted first!) more vocational courses at KS4 ...

Of course there are massive mistakes in Academies ... a new environment is not always the best one and the design is usually done by architects, not teachers / SLT / students (you would be surprised how good some students are in sorting out the best learning / teaching environment!) ... the costs can be horrendous and a single wrong choice (solely wireless network or choice of VLE) can take years to overcome.

There are lots of other cynical things and lots more manglement speak that I can throw in but a new building is not a bad thing ... as long as people don't think it is the answer to everything ... but people have to be willing to change and adapt to fit in with new ideas.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Grommit View Post
    Theare are academies in that list as well so will they become "schools" ?
    Nah ... just a way of the Govt saying that they are putting more money into help the lowest scoring schools ... forgetting that the money is already allocated to many of them for PFI, BSF, Academies or other direct intervention.

Thank Post
    Note they are siphoning the money for this from other areas, so expect BSF projects to be put on hold and don't be surprised if budgets in the good schools are reduced again

We already suffer from this, by being a large well performing school in one of the fractionally more well off catchment areas(still well below average) , we get completely stuffed.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by teejay View Post

We already suffer from this, by being a large well performing school in one of the fractionally more well off catchment areas
    Yep, same boat. We are the most underfunded schools in the borough. We are now well on our way to being one of the best schools in the northeast so how about the govt. give us the money to keep it like that!?!?!?!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,208 Times in 1,632 Posts
    My daughter attends one of the top schools nationally - it's a grammar - the buildings are in a shocking state... very reminiscent of the Grammar I attended in the late 70s (especially if nobody had touched it for the last 30 years) and funding seems to be nil compared with the "under-performing" schools in Kent

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,186 Times in 1,004 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I had a service day today (a training day for county officers), and one session I chose was to be briefed about the Academy plans for Lancashire. I was pretty shocked to find out just what the 'sponsors' get out of it!
    The sponsors (private business or individuals who stump up the 2mil per school asking price (there was even a buy one get one free fo these too!!)) get the school and grounds on a 120 year lease and can also choose the bulk of the governors.
    One company who shall remain anonymous has purchased many, many schools (20+) and operates an entire support structure organisation for them. As the schools 'owners' have to become a charity they are supposed to be non-profit, but guess who get to sell them external services? Another problem was when I asked who academies were responsible to as they are removed from the LEA and run by central govt. The speaker had no answers apart from stating that they were still to have OFSTED inspections, but it seems that no one knows what to do with a failing academy!
    I left the session feeling like my soul had been soiled.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information