+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
BSF Thread, Not quite BSF but..... in United Kingdom (UK) Specific Forums; You might be interested in these - newschools/story egweekly/story And some slightly older stuff to frighten the sandal-wearing muesli-crunching Guardian ...

Thank Post
    You might be interested in these -

newschools/story

egweekly/story

And some slightly older stuff to frighten the sandal-wearing muesli-crunching Guardian readership

Creationism

Creationism again

What goes around..
    Last edited by beeswax; 11th June 2008 at 07:47 AM. Reason: Remebered other articles

Thank Post
    Funny, my school is on the list yet we're in the middle of BSF... does that make/solve any problems??

Found out too that the schools figure of 27% is actually a little inflated as the school needed to raise it's statistics and entered kids in for worthless half GCSE's....

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    There is a school I know of that did vocational GNVQ IT worth four gcse's however they are now cutting it to a double award 23% of the pupils got four GCSE grade C's but couldn't convert any other subject to a C grade.So the results at the school have suffered now it's a double award the chances are the schools results are going to hit rock bottom very soon.

Grammar schools by contrast tend to have a very good catchment but because on average they are smaller schools don't have the sort of funding lower scoring schools have I suppose in a way that is fair as it evens things up a little. Grammars tend to get voluntary aid from the more affluent parents too.

Wes

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dos_Box View Post
    I had a service day today (a trainign day for county officers), and one session I chose was to be briefed about the Academiy plans for Lancashire. I was pretty shocked to find out just what the 'sponsors' get out of it!
    At least someone is getting some info then! Might I ask: the organisation who shall remain nameless - do they relate to Lancashire's plans? More specifically, Preston?

Andy

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by teejay View Post
    Note they are siphoning the money for this from other areas, so expect BSF projects to be put on hold and don't be surprised if budgets in the good schools are reduced again
    Much of the BSF funding is private finance, not Government. Any BSF new build or Academy is likely to be a PFI school, so the Govt pays next to nothing up front & the LA & school pays for 25 years afterwards out of their budgets.

Bundling ICT managed services with BSF allows the Govt to side-step finding the capital for ICT investment too.

So, the more PFI builds & Academies the Govt can lumber the LAs with, the less capital investment they have to make. It also means they can tie up tax revenue for years to come by commiting large sums of money to repay the financiers who funded the PFI/Academies, limiting future Govts ability to cut taxes

That is why it is so important to 'rubbish' as many schools as possible & then come up with a 'quick fix' solution of more Academies

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by linuxgirlie View Post
    It doesn't state a timeline, but they seem like they want it to go though pretty quickly, someone was quoting to me today they heard it is on this years exams, and the schools have 50 days? But that could just be rumours.

Jo
    I read that it was 3 years, so by 2011/12 if the results aren't above 30% requirement then it's bye bye school and hello academy.

What if the school reaches the target once in those 3 years tho? Technically they made it...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Finding_Scotty View Post
    I read that it was 3 years, so by 2011/12 if the results aren't above 30% requirement then it's bye bye school and hello academy.

What if the school reaches the target once in those 3 years tho? Technically they made it...
    I'm not quite clear how relinquishing control of a school to a third party will improve results?

Thank Post
    Just found this link from the Lancashire telegraph, it shows all 8 failing schools in the east lancashire area, i'm sure that Shuttleworth College has only just been built through BSF, why would you close a school that has just been built is a real waste of money, IMHO.

East Lancashire schools failing

Thank Post
    My understanding is that the baseline data for this witch-hunt was GCSE exam results 2007.... including Maths & English.

This was after the Govt eventually woke up to the fact that some schools were playing the 'numbers game' with 5 A*-C pass rates by enrolling students on a wide range of vocational courses etc that yielded 4x GCSE equivalent passes or similar scams like online ALAN tests.

You could get a student who qualified because they had passed GCSE Art & GNVQ Art and got 5 A* to C passes without maths, english or anything else. (Nothing against Art by the way, just picked that as an example).

A lot of schools suddenly found their 5 A* to C pass rates dropped from 70% to 30% or less moving them from being 'successful' to 'failing'

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dezt View Post
    Just found this link from the Lancashire telegraph, it shows all 8 failing schools in the east lancashire area, i'm sure that Shuttleworth College has only just been built through BSF, why would you close a school that has just been built is a real waste of money, IMHO.

East Lancashire schools failing
    So that you can then reopen it as an academy run by a corporation/business/charity. It's happening in London where a brand new school is being given over to a venture capitalist. I believe that former cronies of Dame Shirley Porter are involved.

Thank Post
    Just read a few article/post about Academies.

Have I got this right,

A sponsor or donor can remain nameless, and then gets to strongly influence where the school budget is spent, on whatever contracts they like without going to tender, even if they have financial interests in the companies that gets the contract.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by conehead View Post
    Just read a few article/post about Academies.

Have I got this right,

A sponsor or donor can remain nameless, and then gets to strongly influence where the school budget is spent, on whatever contracts they like without going to tender, even if they have financial interests in the companies that gets the contract.
    I'll try again - education.guardian.co.uk/newschools/story

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by beeswax View Post
    I read the article, I was interested to see if others interpreted it in the same way.

So presumably a prospective contractor/Managed Service Provider can also be an un-named donor, and maybe write the donation off against tax.Then the Sponsor can award any contracts to that contractor without going through a Tendering process, and if the Academy fails in a couple of years there is no official body empowered to step in and sanction them.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by beeswax View Post
    You might be interested in these -

newschools/story

egweekly/story

And some slightly older stuff to frighten the sandal-wearing muesli-crunching Guardian readership

Creationism

Creationism again

What goes around..
    Yah. Can you explain why you lump creationism and BSF/Academies together in one thread?

Thanks.

Thank Post
    What I don't understand is why are people picking up that some BSF schools are failing so therefore the BSF is not as Great as it is made out to be !

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information