+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
BSF Thread, Anyone been tuped? in United Kingdom (UK) Specific Forums; Originally Posted by ngreenwood lack of RM qualifications may prevent you from fixing certain hardware. I'm sorry what? A degree ...
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ngreenwood View Post
    lack of RM qualifications may prevent you from fixing certain hardware.
    I'm sorry what?
    A degree in computing is pointless I guess then! RM seems quite an insular company to me At least they offer training of some kind, but it's sad that they actually halt someones career progress based purely on their internal training o_O

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ngreenwood View Post
    If mice and keyboards are vandalized they are replaced. Simple really.
    It also depends on who (which company) is running your managed service, and what your SLA (Service Level Agreement) stipulates. Straightforward vandalism could be excluded with the school having to pick up the tab, then you could be forced to buy these items from your managed service provider.

Thank Post
    We've just had this, in terms of what the onsite technician can and cannot do.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,154 Times in 982 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Basically everything then.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,154 Times in 982 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Out of interest, what company is this?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveJ2717uk View Post
    Cannot believe people are OK with those terms. Surely heads would be furious.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Friez View Post
    I'm sorry what?
    A degree in computing is pointless I guess then! RM seems quite an insular company to me At least they offer training of some kind, but it's sad that they actually halt someones career progress based purely on their internal training o_O
    Lets backup bit RM ask people to go on the course just to cover themselves would guess..

Maybe you should reread the posts as no one said about halting career?? Also in fact RM is very big on life long learning.

You can get training on just about anything. In fact there is a fund that can apply for training the requirement is that it has nothing to do with your job.

Thank Post
    I was in line for this but managed to find another job elsewhere before I got to that stage. The T's and C's didn't sound that good plus I know a few people who have been tuped and they have now left those jobs because of it. Be a bit careful, make sure everything is fully explained, crystal clear and in writing.

Thank Post
    The company is LDL (Liverpool Direct Limited) basically an offshoot of Liverpool city council (they also provide the councils managed ICT). Well you are allowed to change mice and keyboards Oh and toners

Basically only just got this on Friday and have been running around the school like a headless chicken saying to all and sundry "have you seen this." Copies have gone to the head and deputies and to the person in charge of the schools BSF project. Also emailed our union rep with this.
    Last edited by DaveJ2717uk; 23rd June 2008 at 09:35 AM. Reason: can't spell

Thank Post
    Some of the stuff, such as managing the website and providing material for the LP (Learning Platform) isn't really what a techie should be doing, unless you were taken on with, for example, managing the school website as part of the job description, it's just that over the years some of us have grown into these posts, as in, "They want to charge how much to set up a website!? Let me have a looksee." My own situation is very similar, and unless my job description/role in school changes I'll have to drop a lot of stuff as well.
    You can understand the managed service provider wanting to protect their investment by only using "trusties" to handle their equipment, and I suppose you become a trustie by being tuped and then trained in the company ways.

Thank Post
    Fantastic - looks like I can put my feet up then as that's most of my job gone.

Looking at my job list for this week I couldn't do any of it (except the residential I am going on on Friday - doesn't say I can't do that!)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by russdev View Post
    Lets backup bit RM ask people to go on the course just to cover themselves would guess..

Maybe you should reread the posts as no one said about halting career?? Also in fact RM is very big on life long learning.

You can get training on just about anything. In fact there is a fund that can apply for training the requirement is that it has nothing to do with your job.
    Right, I don't think what I said went across properly... it just seems a bit stopping that you're "not allowed" to do repairs if you don't do their in-house training, despite the fact many of us would've been doing this stuff for many years (even if it's through sheer experience).

I could be completely wrong, and if what you say is true about the training, then that's great stuff, i'll be signing myself straight up for training in producing photorealistic scenes in maya straight off the bat then!

But I can't help but think that i'll be reduced to toner changer. We shall see. I'm qualified as a programmer and develop computer games in my spare time, if my career really progresses following my skills and my interests then I'll be glad to say that I was wrong. If my job stagnates into Toner Changer... Or if I end up getting laid off in one way or another...

Well that's the pessimist in me speaking, it's done me well so far. :P

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,773 Times in 1,100 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Re: computer suppliers and repairs.

As with a number of companies, RM do not like uncertified techies taking apart their machines due to warranty issues. Other companies have similar rules.

Dell talk you through it whilst on the phone, Sun send out an engineer, HP vary depending on what it is you are trying to repair. They all have schemes where they start to trust you once you have done a test of some sort. RM are no different really.

I would not allow any old person to fiddle around with my school's kit so the training is done in house ... even if someone comes in with an A+ I would still monitor them to start with ...

Re: job list

Basically it has removed anything that could, in any shape or form, be linked to T&L. It looks like a level a/b techie on the Becta competencies ... and this is the documentation that should have been made available to schools as part of the scoring process.

Should you school get involved as a representative during the scoring process then this sort of document is a MUST! Most bidders will not produce it until they have the contract as it informs things like price negotiation and staffing contracts far earlier than they like, but since it is directly related to the operational aspect of the bid then they must show who and how the service will be delivered.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    The company is LDL (Liverpool Direct Limited) basically an offshoot of Liverpool city council (they also provide the councils managed ICT). Well you are allowed to change mice and keyboards Oh and toners

Basically only just got this on Friday and have been running around the school like a headless chicken saying to all and sundry "have you seen this." Copies have gone to the head and deputies and to the person in charge of the schools BSF project. Also emailed our union rep with this.
    I think the Company may be breaking the Tupe Rules, if it is it's against the law.
    Employees have the legal right to transfer to the new employer on their existing terms and conditions of employment. If your existing T's and C's say you should do the things in the letter then you should still do them after Tupe. Otherwise they are downgrading your job.

-
    edit: I just spoke to someone from Unison about this. My initial thought was incorrect. it is perfectly legal to change roles and responsibilities.
    roles and responsibilities are not necessarily teh same as terms and conditions. terms and conditions cannot be changed. Conceivably they can change your roll so its unrecognisable.

Teachers are going to hate this - all the qualified techs sitting round drinking tea refusing to do what the teacher says
    Last edited by CyberNerd; 23rd June 2008 at 11:22 AM.

Thank Post
    Sorry If I was not clear earlier but the RM qualifications relate to RM branded hardware only. If you dont have the RM cert then you invalidate the warranty if you open the case. Therefore RM would have to pay for an engineer to visit the site. Instead they pay for you to go on the course.
    Last edited by ngreenwood; 23rd June 2008 at 01:16 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information