+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
BSF Thread, BSF.... in United Kingdom (UK) Specific Forums; Yesterday I went to visit a school who has recently been BSf ed, the IT staff students and teachers say ...
    Thank Post
    Yesterday I went to visit a school who has recently been BSf ed, the IT staff students and teachers say itís the best thing thatís happened, no job losses and even some promotions. Now I'm also a network manager and am worried about BSF but after seeing the model yesterday I have to admire it. Perhaps this is because the LEA are doing the IT provision and are more sympathetic to the local workforce and perhaps not so hungry to make a profit. The LEA is Newcastle and it's in the pipeline for North Tyneside so I'm hoping NT adopts the same model.

2. 2 Thanks to jsnetman:

stu1892 (14th September 2009), Styloid (16th May 2008)

Thank Post
    I believe that Newcastle as a pathfinder LA was set up before Partnership for Schools really got their act together as far as ICT was concerned. The LA has set up a seperate business unit underpinned by DELL as principal supplier, I am not sure if there are any other partners.

It is a model that a number of other LAs would like to follow. Those that will be successful will have to be measured & audited against commercial alternatives so they must to be prepared to build a business case that is better than the competition and demonstrate they have the resources & skills to deliver.

It's not easy, the LA will need to convince Partnership for Schools who have the final veto acting on behalf of the Government, so it's not just a simple case of an LA saying they want to keep things in-house.
    Last edited by broc; 16th May 2008 at 10:45 AM.

4. Thanks to broc from:

Styloid (16th May 2008)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Newcastle, who's schools are currently throwing away perfectly good prometheans
    Prometheans
    as they've all been replaced by smartboards. Sounds like the height of efficiency.
    I wonder if the teachers got trained and had their resources converted...

6. Thanks to CyberNerd from:

Styloid (16th May 2008)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Styloid View Post
    Thanks Joanne.
    I am glad you have found a way out, and am sorry that youve had to leave a job where, I assume, you had been happy and content. I think itís a loss to education and the school
    I wasn't happy or content and I am very glad to be leaving. If I had have been happy I would have happily joined the managed service as I see it as an opportunity to progress my career!

I know that BSF is a bummer, but we should at least look on the bright side... kinda!

8. Thanks to Joanne from:

Styloid (16th May 2008)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd View Post
    Prometheans
    as they've all been replaced by smartboards. Sounds like the height of efficiency.
    I wonder if the teachers got trained and had their resources converted...
    I think this will just be the tip of the iceberg.

As more schools go live with BSF the landfill sites & WEEE disposal organisations all over the country will be groaning under the load.

10. Thanks to broc from:

Styloid (16th May 2008)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Styloid View Post
    I work for a company suppling schools with ICT stuff. we are not big and not involved with BSF.
    I have a number of issues with BSF, and like many here I am un-persuaded of its virtue and doubtful about its ability to deliver anything but invoicing for poor serivices.
    However its here. And technicians have a number of choice of how to respond to it.
    1) Get out of working in schools
    2) Cluck and windge but do nowt
    3) Accept it here and hope to infulence it or the better.

I am thinking about organising a day conferance for those involved - ICT staff, school management, smll companies. It would be free of all sales / sponsorship / big company vision bollocks stuff / spin
    It would not be the usual Podium Powerpoint Paradigm , but simply be about sharing experiance and learning together and from each other, though hosted by skillful people who respect and encourage good discussion.

My question is this.. What is this worth? My costing are making me think a place would cost around £150 for techies and £200 for school management.
    Would you consider comming for that ?
    We could go reduce the price but my feeling is this would reduce the effectivnes and the whole thing would look a bit shody.

I am not promoting such an event here - just asking for some feedback. Id really appreciate your comments
    Thanks

You need to approach your MP or the DTI and lobby them to do something about the affects of the BSF on small businesses.. and that the Education ICT Support sector will soon be a monopoly and thus killing of many small EDucation ICT companies around the country....

12. Thanks to Grommit from:

Styloid (16th May 2008)

Thank Post
    Prometheans
    #

Bagged a few myself for our school, nice and cheap

14. Thanks to jsnetman from:

Styloid (16th May 2008)

Thank Post
    @ Styloid

As already mentioned £150-£200 for a conference place is rather a lot, maybe if you post your costings on here some of the memebrs could have a look at them and maybe make some suggestions on reducing them.

16. Thanks to PeterW from:

Styloid (16th May 2008)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Joanne View Post
    Not given up! Just got a new job elsewhere away from schools!!

Basically the head at my place was going to make me into a teaching assisstant in order to keep me in the school. However, I wouldn't really be able to do much with the computers. I'd be pulling out paper jams and turning things off and on. Not something I aspire to.

Many people will be TUPED over to the managed service and I'm sure some of them will get jobs there, which will be a good move because they will have a proper career structure then.

It's all well and good trying to fight it, and I know it isn't set in stone, but the managed service is due to come into Blackburn in September 2009, not long... so in my opinion I don't see any way out. Yes you can demonstrate and you can shout all you want. Hell, we have even spoke to the woman who is in charge of all this... face to face and there is no going back now for us!

Are you saying that when BSF collapses that is when we should strike? Or are you saying we should be against it now?
    Interesting point about TUPE Joanne. Our schools are currently going thru BSF (starting Sept 09 and Phase 3 is due to finish Sep 12)
    Until a recent meeting neither myself or our Headteacher realised that the IT contract for BSF would only run for 5 years at the end of which it would go out to tender again.

More importantly (for me anyway), no-one in HR/Governing Body can give me a definitive answer as to how long I'm going to be protected (salary & other current Conditions of Employment) once I'm TUPE'd across.

I think the whole TUPE process sucks personally

and back on topic - £200 for a conference is a lot

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information