+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
BSF Thread, You guys won't be happy... this week's BSF letters in Computing in United Kingdom (UK) Specific Forums; Dunno who has the 8th May issue of Computing but both letters are pro BSF , criticising school IT teams ...
    Thank Post

You guys won't be happy... this week's BSF letters in Computing

Dunno who has the 8th May issue of Computing but both letters are pro BSF, criticising school IT teams \ systems, bit of pre-warning for when you guys open the letters page!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,340 Times in 728 Posts
    You mean these?

http://letters.computing.co.uk/2008/...stency-is.html

Consistency is key
    I share a lot of the concerns voiced over the future of IT provision in schools under Building Schools for the Future (BSF), especially the cost and the lack of flexibility that will result (Must do better: 45bn schools plan fails to impress).

However, we should not glorify what exists. While a lot of schools have excellent IT, some have horrendous setups that are under-invested in and not fit for purpose. These schools are failing their teachers and students, meaning that the government cannot meet its Every Child Matters agenda.

Very soon, students from the age of 14 will be able to study diplomas offered at a different institution to their host school - these locations will need to have joined-up IT for this to work. With the increased dependence on computers for assessment and examinations, standardisation is inevitable and
    robust systems will need to be available for all students 24/7, hence some form of managed services will be required to replace the existing cottage industry.

Colin Small
    http://letters.computing.co.uk/2008/...like-grip.html

Vice-like grip
    As part of one of the teams leading BSF in a large authority and an ex-local authority IT adviser, I feel it necessary to point out that over many years the block in innovation within many - not all - high schools has been the short-sighted view and iron grip of the IT management whose aim in life appears to be to say "no" before hearing the problem (Must do better: 45bn schools plan fails to impress).

It makes me smile when I hear of IT innovation being stifled in schools. Just talk to the countless teachers who have had their ideas rejected because of endless firewall issues, security risks or apparent incompatibilities.

It is not just old schools that need rebuilding, it is time to build a new, professional IT workforce in schools.

John Jones

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SYSMAN_MK View Post
    That one makes me laugh,

"It makes me smile when I hear of IT innovation being stifled in schools. Just talk to the countless teachers who have had their ideas rejected because of endless firewall issues, security risks or apparent incompatibilities"

This person will be in for a shock in a BSF School.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SYSMAN_MK View Post
    Just talk to the countless teachers who have had their ideas
    Lol - I'd like to talk to just one!

Thank Post
    hmmmm .... seems ironic that most of our plans for innovation have been stifled by our local LA because of the same "problems"!

"It makes me smile when I hear of IT innovation being stifled in schools. Just talk to the countless teachers who have had their ideas rejected because of endless firewall issues, security risks or apparent incompatibilities."

As for "It is not just old schools that need rebuilding, it is time to build a new, professional IT workforce in schools." Well quite frankly I'm gobsmacked!!

Thank Post
    An ex IT advisor... says it all really.

Them's that can, do; them's that cannot, teach; them's that cannot teach, teach teachers........

I will go now.

7. Thanks to broc from:

farmerste (9th May 2008)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    you'd think it'd be cheaper to make IT a part of the ofsted inspection.

9. 6 Thanks to browolf:

CyberNerd (8th May 2008), Diello (8th May 2008), Gatt (8th May 2008), GrumbleDook (8th May 2008), russdev (9th May 2008), Whitestar (9th June 2008)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Quackers View Post
    That one makes me laugh,

"It makes me smile when I hear of IT innovation being stifled in schools. Just talk to the countless teachers who have had their ideas rejected because of endless firewall issues, security risks or apparent incompatibilities"

This person will be in for a shock in a BSF School.
    Firewalls - LA responsibility (at least at my school) took 2 weeks to get a port unblocked.

Security risks - teachers who won't lock their screens when leaving their laptops unnattended, or write their passwords down & leave them in their desk drawers, or allow students to use their laptops unsupervised, no wonder Network Managers are paranoid

Apparent incompatibilities - software written by ex-teachers & ICT advisors that expect full local admin rights, were never tested on a network, or were written when Windows 3.1 was in vogue.

11. Thanks to broc from:

joe90bass (14th May 2008)

Thank Post
    Knew it'd cause some debate, seems rather one sided maybe the magazine wants to get responses to fuel the fire

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,781 Times in 1,105 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Colin makes a valid point though ... there are plenty of schools out there that are not up to scratch and hiding our heads in the sand about that is foolhardy ...

We may not like the methods, but can we argue with the goals?

Those who know Colin will understand that he is not saying this blindly but from bitter experience of trying to help out other schools.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by browolf View Post
    you'd think it'd be cheaper to make IT a part of the ofsted inspection.
    This is one of my biggest gripes ... that although there is guidance in the for of the IT infrastructure docs from Becta, FITS, plenty of guidance out there about DPA, FoIA, budgetting, etc ... there is nothing that inspects it.

A company that does inspect to a level that the SSAT is happy with will charge to do so and then give feedback, but a number of members have rubbished that idea previously (though some members have also taken up the offer and are happy with it), but it is not an official Govt sanctioned inspection such as FMSiS, Healthy Schools, etc ...

*This* is what is missing ... but I think that many of us would not like this either.

Thank Post
    I am sure most of us can counter the lack of innovation 'myth'.

A recent example of innovation at my school, albeit on a small scale.

A teacher (HOD) comes to me and says she wants a scanner in every classroom in her dept so staff can (in real-time) scan student work & display it on their IWB so they can highlight & annotate it & discuss it in class. Now most people in IT would realise that flatbed scanners are not the fastest beasts on the planet & the time to scan, save & present the results would do nothing for lesson flow..... so what happened?

If I had been the sort of NM described by the letter writers I would have said "no, cannot do it, tooo slow etc etc ..... & rubbished the teachers idea"

But no, being the professional I am, I researched a solution (visualiser), obtained a 'loan' device from a supplier, set it up, demonstrated it & the school bought 5.

Net result, happy HOD, teachers & the students love it too.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    *This* is what is missing ... but I think that many of us would not like this either.
    surely people would like it to prove what a good job they do?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by broc View Post
    Firewalls - LA responsibility (at least at my school) took 2 weeks to get a port unblocked.

Security risks - teachers who won't lock their screens when leaving their laptops unnattended, or write their passwords down & leave them in their desk drawers, or allow students to use their laptops unsupervised, no wonder Network Managers are paranoid

Apparent incompatibilities - software written by ex-teachers & ICT advisors that expect full local admin rights, were never tested on a network, or were written when Windows 3.1 was in vogue.
    2 weeks? lucky beggar... i have to wait 28 working days........ ;!?@#:

everything else is sooo true... then again its also the same in corporate environments... BUT then you get chief execs with little or no computer knowlege wanting DOMAIN ADMIN rights because they think it will help them...

i think of IT like a garage... and computers like a car... you'd never leave your car unlocked with the keys in the ignition and the engine running when you go into the shops right?

WHY OH WHY DO YOU LEAVE YOUR PC UNLOCKED AND LOGGED IN! Then wonder why the computer is fudged after some young scrote has come along and played havoc with it...

the rants i could carry on with... lol...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I strongly disagree with John Jones though ... my response is below.

I find it shameful that a person in this position would apportion blame to technical staff in schools but fail to mention the years of poor leadership and direction from Local Authorities when it comes to strategic leadership of ICT.

Surely if Local Authorities were engaging with schools (as some are) and helping schools move forward to sustainable models of IT which has significant impact on T&L, Leadership and Management, and achievement & attainment in schools comments like this would not be able to be made?

We should try supporting our technical staff in schools, after all, these are likely to be the same people providing the support in the schools anyway, just under a different company name and having to respond based on company and contractual protocol rather than the directives of the senior leaders in the school.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast