+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
BSF Thread, Newham BSF - Looks like I may become an RM Employee! in United Kingdom (UK) Specific Forums; Update: Laing O'Rourke confirmed as preferred bidder for £200m BSF scheme (27 March 2008 16:23) Laing OíRourke has beaten Skanska ...
    Thank Post

Newham BSF - Looks like I may become an RM Employee!

Update: Laing O'Rourke confirmed as preferred bidder for £200m BSF scheme
    (27 March 2008 16:23)

Laing OíRourke has beaten Skanska this week in the race to become preferred bidder on Newham Councilís £200m Building Schools for the Future (BSF) scheme in London.

Newham Learning Partnership (Laing O'Rourke Portfoilio Projects Ltd) and Skanska were both shortlisted in January this year on Newham's BSF scheme which will see four schools completely rebuilt and another nine remodelled and refurbished.

Laing O'Rourke will deliver the new build element of the scheme, with local firm Jerram Falkus carrying out the refurbishment work, estimated at around £50m in the first phase. Sources say Laing O'Rourke's decision to use a local builder, with a track record in school building work, swung the deal in its favour.

The newly built schools will be Little Ilford, Lister, Rokeby and Stratford schools, while Brampton Manor, Eastlea, Forest Gate, Langdon, Plashet, Royal Docks, St Angela's, St Bonaventure's and Sarah Bonnell schools will all be modernised to meet BSF standards.
    Source - Contract Journal

If I remember correctly from the very brief meeting we had, Skanska chose Civica, and Laing O'Rourke (Newham Learning Partnership) chose RM, so it looks like the end of Vanilla Windows Server networks in Newham! Connect 4, 5 and 6, here we come! What joy! Not!

Interesting as well that I found this out from the media, and as yet, no one from management, or the borough have told us what the current situation is!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Might not get connect even if RM as depends on what lea have asked for.

Russ

Thank Post
    Update:

RM chosen as ICT supplier for Newham BSF ICT project
    11 Apr 2008

RM has been selected by the London Borough of Newham to provide ICT services to the Borough's BSF (Building Schools for the Future) programme. RM will deliver the services as part of the Newham Learning Partnership (NLP), a Laing O'Rourke-led consortium in which RM will hold a 15% stake and which has been appointed selected bidder for the programme. Newham's BSF programme covers 15 schools and a sixth form centre, serving over 19,000 pupils.

The project, which is estimated to be worth approximately £53m to RM over eleven years, will provide a sophisticated and flexible managed ICT service to Newham's secondary schools. This will include in-school systems and software infrastructure, a central data centre, and integration with the London Grid for Learning's managed learning environment. RM will also be part of Newham's LEP (Local Education Partnership), a public-private vehicle tasked with ensuring Newham's secondary school estate meets the challenges of the 21st Century to the benefit of all of Newham's learners.

Commenting on the contract, Tim Pearson, CEO of RM, said:

'Newham has a bold vision for education and we're delighted to be part of it. We have a long and successful track record providing innovative ICT for learners and teachers in the Borough, most recently through the Achieving Through Innovation programme which has contributed to a real improvement in standards in primary schools. We're looking forward to working with education managers in the Borough and with Laing O'Rourke, our consortium partners, to help implement Newham's Strategy for Change.

'The momentum of the BSF programme continues. This is the third project we've won since the beginning of the calendar year - ahead of our target and a clear indication that the quality of our ICT proposition is widely recognised.'

Councillor Quintin Peppiatt, Newham Council's Cabinet member for Children and Young People, said:

'I am delighted that we have chosen a first class partner in NLP to work with us to deliver new secondary school facilities across the borough. We are excited that within a year we will start to see new school buildings that will allow our secondary schools to deliver a transformed curriculum for the young people of Newham.'

Tim Byles, Chief Executive of PfS, the government agency responsible for delivering the BSF programme nationwide, said:

'We congratulate Newham on reaching this important milestone on their journey to transform education for school children and communities in the area. The new and improved buildings, facilities and technology will have an enormous impact on the life chances of every child in Newham for decades to come, and I look forward to charting the progress of this exciting scheme.'

Notes:

1. Founded in 1973, the RM Group is a leading provider of educational products and services to schools, colleges and universities, local government and central government education departments and agencies. RM works closely with educationalists to create new products, processes and technology which improve teaching and learning. RM is listed on the main market of the London Stock Exchange under the symbol RM.L, ISIN GB0002870417.
    2. BSF (Building Schools for the Future) is the largest single schools capital investment programme for over 50 years. It aims to rebuild or renew every one of England's 3,500 state secondary schools during the lifetime of the programme. A key part of the initiative is to ensure that local authorities develop a sustainable, area-wide ICT strategy for schools in line with the Government's personalised learning agenda: 10% of the funding is ring-fenced for ICT.

For Further information contact:

Mike Greig/Phil Hemmings
    RM plc
    08450 700300

Mark Antelme
    Brunswick
    020 7404 5959
    More News and Confirmation:
    BSF schools fit for the future - Newham
    RM Awarded $105m London Schools IT Contract - Yahoo! News UK
    RM to provide ICT services for Newham BSF programme - Computer Business Review

Thank Post

Newham Bsf

If I remember correctly from the very brief meeting we had, Skanska chose Civica, and Laing O'Rourke (Newham Learning Partnership) chose RM, so it looks like the end of Vanilla Windows Server networks in Newham! Connect 4, 5 and 6, here we come! What joy! Not!

Interesting as well that I found this out from the media, and as yet, no one from management, or the borough have told us what the current situation is!

Hi
    We are in exactly the same position, no information from management, found out via media.
    Only new news is they have a series of meetings for SLT members and Chairs of Governors
    These meetings take place in the week of 12 May .

Thank Post
    Despite all of the above links I have posted seemingly confirming the appointment of RM as the preferred bidder for Newham and both companies confirming it on their websites and numerous visits from RM and Newham BSF people to see our SLT and RM performing a health check on our network ready for when they finally take over and confirmation from RM that they will be taking over Internet provision from Synetrix by the end of the year, we are still being told the contracts have not yet been finalised and for this reason still don't have any official information as to exactly what will happen.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoom7000 View Post
    so it looks like the end of Vanilla Windows Server networks in Newham! Connect 4, 5 and 6, here we come! What joy! Not!
    Er, what's wrong with CC4?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,443 Times in 1,891 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by webman View Post
    And so opens the floodgates to another argument about which is better... :P

Thank Post
    It kills yiour Brain cells and devalues your skill set.. because the real world does not use CC4

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Grommit View Post
    It kills yiour Brain cells and devalues your skill set.. because the real world does not use CC4
    Have you used CC4 and know this first hand? Have you conducted independent tests on a cross-section of people running CC4 and compared against people running non-CC4 networks? If not then I take your comment as hearsay.

Maybe not, but schools use CC4. If I'm not mistaken, we work in schools.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,443 Times in 1,891 Posts
    Blog Entries
    @Grommit & Webman - we've been over this argument before on the site, some like using vanilla 2k3 systems, some prefer cc3/4 systems. We don't need to go over it again.

Thank Post
    Have you used CC4 and know this first hand? Have you conducted independent tests on a cross-section of people running CC4 and compared against people running non-CC4 networks? If not then I take your comment as hearsay.

Maybe not, but schools use CC4. If I'm not mistaken, we work in schools.
    Erm... If I'm not mistaken I work in a school and we certainly don't use CC3/4. Have you conducted independent research to show that people who work in schools use CC3/4 etc?

The pure fact of the matter is that CC3/4 does limit your skills set to an extent because you are buying a program that essentially hides all the complexities away from you to do most tasks, some of which are very useful to know.

If I had a problem with my network, I'm sure I'll find much more help on most Internet sites and forums, the vast majority of which don't even know who RM are, let alone CC3.

I have not seen any job application as of yet (including jobs in schools) that require knowledge in RM applications. The essentials are always Windows XP/2003, networking etc.

Thank Post
    as russ has said, it's not a given that CC3/4 will be rolled out across the borough.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    @Grommit: I replied here to prevent going off-topic: Ultimate debate: CC3/4 vs Rest of the World - EduGeek.net Forums

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by torledo View Post
    as russ has said, it's not a given that CC3/4 will be rolled out across the borough.
    Bearing in mind that what was it.. £50 million being wasted by going to RM over 11 years, I would bloody well hope that CC4 was included in that!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Oops_my_bad View Post
    Bearing in mind that what was it.. £50 million being wasted by going to RM over 11 years, I would bloody well hope that CC4 was included in that!
    lol, good point! Either way it's a lot of money wasted and I'd rather they gave us a damn pay rise! :P

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information