+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
BSF Thread, Newham BSF - Looks like I may become an RM Employee! in United Kingdom (UK) Specific Forums; Originally Posted by Oops_my_bad Bearing in mind that what was it.. 50 million being wasted by going to RM over ...
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Oops_my_bad View Post
    Bearing in mind that what was it.. 50 million being wasted by going to RM over 11 years, I would bloody well hope that CC4 was included in that!
    why would you assume that cc4 was wot won it. If RM or whoever won the contract were responsible for mgmt of each and every desktop in the borough what difference does it make what tools or apps are used to accompish this....?? from both the schools and the managed service providers point of view...they have the professionals in the org who know how to use vanilla to a very high level and no doubt there are schools who have are highly skilled in both vanilla and CC3/4...why would RM feel need to use cc4 exclusively or feel the need to push cc4 in negotiations. IT makes no sense, it's a not a real distinguisher.

surely it was the fact RM had the experience, industry knowledge, and were of sufficient size to win the contract that were the real distinguishing factors. Not that CC4 was this carrot newham couldn't resist....i've spoken briefly with an rm bsf bod in the past, and when i mentioned the issue of cc3/4 she said it was up to the authorities and individual schools as to whether cc3/4 was adopted. Don't know how the negotiations went, but no doubt cc3/4 licenses are there for the schoos to use - but surely it's not going to be mandated.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by torledo View Post
    why would you assume that cc4 was wot won it. If RM or whoever won the contract were responsible for mgmt of each and every desktop in the borough what difference does it make what tools or apps are used to accompish this....?? from both the schools and the managed service providers point of view...they have the professionals in the org who know how to use vanilla to a very high level and no doubt there are schools who have are highly skilled in both vanilla and CC3/4...why would RM feel need to use cc4 exclusively or feel the need to push cc4 in negotiations. IT makes no sense, it's a not a real distinguisher.

surely it was the fact RM had the experience, industry knowledge, and were of sufficient size to win the contract that were the real distinguishing factors. Not that CC4 was this carrot newham couldn't resist....i've spoken briefly with an rm bsf bod in the past, and when i mentioned the issue of cc3/4 she said it was up to the authorities and individual schools as to whether cc3/4 was adopted. Don't know how the negotiations went, but no doubt cc3/4 licenses are there for the schoos to use - but surely it's not going to be mandated.
    You misunderstand - I doubt BSF contracts are gained/lost purely on what network management system the winning ICT company would use Im just saying for that amount of money RM are getting, I would hope CC4 or whatever would be included in that. If there is not a trace of RM branding in sight, then just where else is this money going? Damn expensive internet connection if you ask me
    Last edited by Oops_my_bad; 30th May 2008 at 07:22 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by torledo View Post
    i've spoken briefly with an rm bsf bod in the past, and when i mentioned the issue of cc3/4 she said it was up to the authorities and individual schools as to whether cc3/4 was adopted.
    This is Newham we're talking about. The folks doing all the dodgy BSF dealings are an LA based group called ITASS who do our SIMS support. The SLT's swear by ITASS because they have "@newham.gov.uk" at the end of their email addresses. The primary schools swear by them because no one else will do their support. Almost all the primaries use CC3, because ITASS recommend they have it in as they don't have full time techies at the primaries. For an IT Advisory and Support Service, they do like to make a lot of money wherever they can. Of course this is because they buy the RM kit and then stick their own administrative charges on top. I know this because when I first started, I was ordering software from them and they were just ordering from Ramesys and sticking a few quid on top. So, I went to Ramesys direct!

However, almost ever secondary school technician will tell you that ITASS couldn't organise a piss up in a brewery. We wanted to upgrade our dying NT4 admin server and the SLT insisted we consult ITASS as they are the experts, the answer was... "Upgrading to Server 2003? Hmmm... I dunno about that, there is certainly likely to be issues! We think you should hold off..." and this was just 2 years ago! Trust me, we'll be on CC3/4 if it's available as an option!

Sums the BSF up pretty much in a nutshell for me!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information