+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
BSF Thread, Redundancies! in United Kingdom (UK) Specific Forums; Conflicting information is going around all over the place in my borough. (Newham) Our Resource Manager has received a letter ...
    Thank Post

Redundancies!

Conflicting information is going around all over the place in my borough. (Newham) Our Resource Manager has received a letter to some extent stating that a preferred bidder has been chosen. Of course, we still haven't been told who this is. However, I did a bit of snooping myself. I called up a contact at Unison who was liasing with the powers that be. I asked him if he knew of any updates and according to him, a stumbling block has put a hold on things, because the LA are proposing nearly 800 redundancies!

Can I be made redundant? Is it time I looked to move on sooner rather than later? Jump, or be pushed?

Absolute load of crap this is turning into!

Thank Post
    Not sure on the ICT side, but "Either Newham Learning Partnership (Laing O'Rourke Portfoilio Projects Ltd) or Skanska UK PLC will be chosen in early 2008 to work on the £200million programme that will see four schools completely rebuilt and another nine remodelled and refurbished.".

Can't see the union allowing 800 redundancies, the one reason the Unions are leaving things alone is because of TUPEing current employees.

Yes, theoretical you can. If I were you, I'd look to move on, even if you don't get made redundant, do you want to work in IT, or become a toner changer? If you want to work in IT, start escape planning now...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I'm looking for something else currently...

nobody is getting back to me though

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Joanne View Post
    I'm looking for something else currently...

nobody is getting back to me though
    Internally things used to be bad, we had a department of 2 and a half, the 'half' being here 2 days a week and not doing anything when he was here! I have been looking elsewhere for a while now to absolutely no luck. However, internally things have improved a lot, we have more staff, albeit temporary the half has gone but the amount of work being lumbered on us has become a lot more managable.

And now this... Time to look again, but these bloody agencies, no one ever gets back to you! Loads of calls telling me they'll pass over my CV, and then nothing! Maybe it's time to bite the bullet and look toward self employed IT Consultancy.
    Last edited by Zoom7000; 31st March 2008 at 12:57 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoom7000 View Post

Can I be made redundant? Is it time I looked to move on sooner rather than later? Jump, or be pushed?

Absolute load of crap this is turning into!
    Of course you can be made redundant if the service is centralised. However it is a long process that needs to go through cabinet (at county council level) and they would need to consult with unions, so it sounds like this is the stage they are at. Sometimes these things get approved then the plug is pulled because they realise they've misjudged costs etc. Now is the time to trawl through all the negative BSF posts and present this to your union contact. It would also be a good time to get press coverage about the proposed redundancies as bad publicity might help.

Can't see the union allowing 800 redundancies, the one reason the Unions are leaving things alone is because of TUPEing current employees.
    They can still TUPE, then make redundancy, or TUPE then make you re-apply for your job. There are various ways for LA's to exploit the TUPE regulations, as long as they disclose what they are up to prior to the transfer they are adhering to the regulations....

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Internally things used to be bad, we had a department of 2 and a half, the 'half' being here 2 days a week and not doing anything when he was here! I have been looking elsewhere for a while now to absolutely no luck. However, internally things have improved a lot, we have more staff, albeit temporary the half has gone but the amount of work being lumbered on us has become a lot more managable.

And now this... Time to look again, but these bloody agencies, no one ever gets back to you! Loads of calls telling me they'll pass over my CV, and then nothing! Maybe it's time to bite the bullet and look toward self employed IT Consultancy.
    going for interviews and them not getting back to you is worse!

I send off my cv via e-mail and post and NOTHING!!

I e-mailed where I had had my interview earlier... wonder if I'll get a reply!

Thank Post
    I went for a job once where there was a technical exam and three interviews, they narrowed it down to three people one of them me and then never got back to me. Some companies are rude like that and i'm glad i didn't end up working for them because of it.

Thank Post
    hey narrowed it down to three people one of them me and then never got back to me.
    Until you get a job with someone - you are just a number

They will offer job to 1st pref but don't say no to you until 1st pref has defintely said yes -which can effectively take weeks - by which time no-one is bothered or thinks its worthwile informing you becasue so much time has passed.

Its just the way people deal with each other - you will do the same when you end up on the other side of the fence

regards

Simon

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    how rude!!

Sick of the fact that they think they can treat you like that after you have put lots of time and effort into everything.

Even if they sent me something saying "I'm sorry your application was unsuccessful" I'd be happy!

PEO
    Thank Post
    how rude!!

Sick of the fact that they think they can treat you like that after you have put lots of time and effort into everything.

Even if they sent me something saying "I'm sorry your application was unsuccessful" I'd be happy!
    something someone said to me once.

No one is irreplaceable
    Harsh.. but too true, and the council know it

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I've been told that by the head teacher... might be replaceable, but said replacement will cost more money and might not be as good!

PEO
    Thank Post
    I've been told that by the head teacher... might be replaceable, but said replacement will cost more money and might not be as good!
    haha good on ya mate

Thank Post
    Jump, or be pushed?
    Be pushed - you get redundancy pay :-)

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post

For better or worse

I have a friend who was in IT for a LA. They then went in to partnership with a large organisation. In other words out sourced IT. A lot of the younger staff moved over to the the new organisation. They have received more training and gained more quals that are currency in the big world. Some have moved on to jobs with more money. Escaped. They saw it as a way to move on.

With BSF I guess there will be opportunities for some and some staff will not be so happy.

I just hope Newham manage the process properly and keep everyone informed. I still wonder if schools understand that BSF is not just about a building but involves people. Schools are made up of people!!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by NewOrder View Post
    I just hope Newham manage the process properly and keep everyone informed. I still wonder if schools understand that BSF is not just about a building but involves people. Schools are made up of people!!
    That is the problem that no one is being informed about anything. Almost everything I know about BSF is through research of my own. We've had one meeting that was the typical "you have nothing to worry about" rubbish and that was it!

I'm tempted myself by moving over to the new company getting the training and running for a better job!

Be pushed - you get redundancy pay
    Sounds good enough, unless I find something better, then I'm off!

going for interviews and them not getting back to you is worse!
    I went for an interview lately, I never got any feedback, called up and they said they've destroyed the interview notes and paperwork for data protection reasons!

how rude!!

Out of all of the online applications I have made the only people to give me a "Thanks, but no thanks" were Google!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast