+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
BSF Thread, Redundancies! in United Kingdom (UK) Specific Forums; Originally Posted by CyberNerd Of course you can be made redundant if the service is centralised. However it is a ...
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd View Post
    Of course you can be made redundant if the service is centralised. However it is a long process that needs to go through cabinet (at county council level) and they would need to consult with unions, so it sounds like this is the stage they are at. Sometimes these things get approved then the plug is pulled because they realise they've misjudged costs etc. Now is the time to trawl through all the negative BSF posts and present this to your union contact. It would also be a good time to get press coverage about the proposed redundancies as bad publicity might help.

They can still TUPE, then make redundancy, or TUPE then make you re-apply for your job. There are various ways for LA's to exploit the TUPE regulations, as long as they disclose what they are up to prior to the transfer they are adhering to the regulations....
    Sorry this is wrong... you can be made redundant if it is not economically viable for the Managed Service Company to take you on

Quote Originally Posted by SimpleSi View Post
    Until you get a job with someone - you are just a number

They will offer job to 1st pref but don't say no to you until 1st pref has defintely said yes -which can effectively take weeks - by which time no-one is bothered or thinks its worthwile informing you becasue so much time has passed.

Its just the way people deal with each other - you will do the same when you end up on the other side of the fence

regards

Simon

Please remember one thing with the agencies... the Agents work on commission and it's all about money...

Unlike the old days where the employment agency cared and helped you get a job these days it's all about greed of the agent..

The agent will not put forward CV if he is not sure that you'll get the job..

Also after 3 failed interviews or 3 rejections of your CV you'll be dropped by the agent and not hear from them again......This is because you are not a viable candidate and them spending any more time on you is not worth it, when there are thousands of new CV's coming in every day..

An agent told me once that in IT there are between 200 - 400 applications per job..
    Last edited by Grommit; 1st April 2008 at 02:27 PM.

Thank Post
    Anyone can be made redundant, they (head govs, outsource company) simply have to decide that your post is no longer required and go through the due legal processes. This happened to me last summer, the head decided that the school no longer needed an IT Systems Manager (also related to the fact that they were 140k overspent ... again) and so I was made redundant and the bulk of my work spread between the Head, Bursar and Senior Tech.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Grommit View Post
    Sorry this is wrong... you can be made redundant if it is not economically viable for the Managed Service Company to take you on
    I don't think anything I said there is incorrect, I think you may have misread what I posted. but yes you can be made redundant on economic - or technical grounds. But still the LA must disclose any redundancy, prior to the transfer.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd View Post
    I don't think anything I said there is incorrect, I think you may have misread what I posted. but yes you can be made redundant on economic - or technical grounds. But still the LA must disclose any redundancy, prior to the transfer.
    Yes and you said it is a long winded route... which it is not..

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12