+ Post New Thread
BSF Thread, BSF and Special Schools? in United Kingdom (UK) Specific Forums; Hi everyone, this is my first post on Edugeek. I work as NM in a special school in Kent where ...

Thank Post

BSF and Special Schools?

Hi everyone, this is my first post on Edugeek.

I work as NM in a special school in Kent where the dreaded BSF process is about to start. Can anyone here confirm that special school status means nothing to the BSF folks and that I'll be in as much tuping trouble with Northgate as all the other poor sods that I've been reading about here?

My headteacher assures me that I will still be NM here at the school after the whole process has finished, after reading some of the horror stories on here I am somewhat concerned..

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Your head teacher is talking out of his bottom. However it's more due to ignorance than malice I expect.

There is no provision within BSF for a 'network manager' role. You'll most likely be downgraded to a IT Technician (with a suitable pay cut) then TUPED to Northgate.

The only way your headteacher can avoid this is by opting out of the managed IT services (which makes a large dent in his budget) or by making up some sort of new job role for you (Something with 'consultant' in the title will usually allow you to escape).

Thank Post
    Hmm.. my understanding of ther TUPE regs is that they CANNOT downgrade you or cut your pay, as that would be a "transfer related" contractual amendment which is protected under TUPE..

Thank Post
    Look here for BSF Kent waves: http://www.kent.gov.uk/education-and...ture/waves.htm

Although not definitive - when Dover gets hit by BSF, there's no mention of the special school that's in Dover, so I'd guess BSF will hit Special Schools, but possibly not until quite a late wave.

Thank Post
    Thanks for the replies.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    Your head teacher is talking out of his bottom. However it's more due to ignorance than malice I expect.

There is no provision within BSF for a 'network manager' role. You'll most likely be downgraded to a IT Technician (with a suitable pay cut) then TUPED to Northgate.

The only way your headteacher can avoid this is by opting out of the managed IT services (which makes a large dent in his budget) or by making up some sort of new job role for you (Something with 'consultant' in the title will usually allow you to escape).
    I think some NM roles may continue to exist, but they will not be school based; instead the NMs will have a number of schools to 'manage' remotely with the occasional site visit. What happens where there are more NMs in existing schools than the managed service provider needs is open to speculation.....

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatt View Post
    Hmm.. my understanding of ther TUPE regs is that they CANNOT downgrade you or cut your pay, as that would be a "transfer related" contractual amendment which is protected under TUPE..
    They get round this by downgrading you. Waiting a few months. Then TUPEing you.

Thank Post
    They'd need a damned good explanation for downgrading me before i'd allow it!!

Thank Post
    Wondering about BSF and special schools myself as many of the things they are pushing are just plain silly for most schools of our type. 1 wireless device per pupil, open class rooms e.c.t none of those are going to work. Not a chance in hell.

Thank Post
    Wondering about BSF and special schools myself as many of the things they are pushing are just plain silly for most schools of our type. 1 wireless device per pupil, open class rooms e.c.t none of those are going to work. Not a chance in hell.

My biggest concern is the blanket system for everyone and treating eveyone the same. What about the special needs requirements? Itís not like most of the bidders know anything about how to setup a school for special needs.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Pottsey View Post

My biggest concern is the blanket system for everyone and treating eveyone the same. What about the special needs requirements? Itís not like most of the bidders know anything about how to setup a school for special needs.
    Your school must get involved in discussions about its ICT requirements; if you have special needs then these should be taken into account and become part of the LAs draft output specification (essentially the ICT design specification for schools in the LA). Once it is part of the output spec, bids from potential suppliers will be measured to see how well they meet/exceed the spec.

It is up to the school to make the case. I would imagine the server side of things at a special school might 'conform' to a standard model but I see no reason why any equipment & software used by students need to conform where there are learning & other difficulties facing students.

BSF may have a bad name in some quarters but it is not entirely heartless....

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread