+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
BSF Thread, A couple of letters to give to SMT's in United Kingdom (UK) Specific Forums; I have been thinking of this for a while now, with the spread of BSF , and what i would ...
    Thank Post

A couple of letters to give to SMT's

I have been thinking of this for a while now, with the spread of BSF, and what i would consider generally poor advice, or just too much of it to take in for head teachers, i was wondering if 'we' could make a one or two page 'handout' for senior management to explain to them the facts about ICT in schools. I think there are lots of issues to address here, but the reasons i want to do this is because i believe in house ict is much better than some faceless outside company providing it to schools.

1 the first 'handout' i want to compile is basically an explanation ( not patronisingly) about the facts of hardware and software.

2 the second 'letter' i think should be one that could be sent to heads who advertise pittyful low paid jobs with enormous responsibilities, and clearly have no concept of work involved.

i was thinking of something along the line..........:-

1, computers are not staplers, they dont just work straight out of the box, they require a lot of work prior to use . If you technical dept is informed in advance of the requirements, correct equipment can be purchased or configured to fulfill the requirements.

1a, side by side in terms of performance, reliability, and value for money a desktop computer will always be superior to a laptop/umpc

1b, wireless networking is SLOW you cannot expect anything like the connectivity that you will get with a wired computers.

and so on .................................... :-)

i think these could be used internally, and possibly distributed on 'internal mail' between schools.
    If this was a newsletter coming from ' the nations education technicians' then it may have some 'clout' with SMT, so add your comments that you would include, and lets see if we can help stop the tide of bsf, and ignorance from higher up.

p.s not sure really what i would put for letter two about low paid jobs being advertised, i will have to think about that one.

Thank Post
    The spread of BSF.....
    sounds like the spread of BSE or Foot and Mouth

seems appropriate! :-)

Thank Post
    The only problem with the spread of BSF is there is no cure currently available

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I don't actually disagree with what you want to do (BSF doesn't affect us but I can see it being absolutely dire for many schools) but you need to be careful.

For example, why are computers not like staplers? If I buy a PC for home use I expect it to be as easy to use (and it pretty much is!). The difference is that schools typically want to do far more with the computer than the home user and want to do things like making sure that each class gets working computers no matter what's gone on before. I think phrasing like this is more helpful than saying "schools want to lock things down" - I always like emphasising positives ("teacher will have confidence in using computers") rather than negatives ("we can stop kids doing anything with the computers")

What you also have to explain is why this can't be out-sourced in some way. My own feeling is that you will get better service by keeping it in-house; people who work for the school, at the school are likely to know/understand it better and might be more willing to keep the school going.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,487 Times in 1,234 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by farmerste View Post
    if 'we' could make a one or two page 'handout' for senior management to explain to them the facts about ICT in schools.
    when you've prepared it, please send 10 copies to Rushden Community College, Hayway, Rushden, Northants, NN10 6AG.

Thanks in advance

Thank Post

Wink yes thats it

yes looking for help here preparing 'it' maybe someone already has something similar, please add what you would include.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    when ICT is in house, you can ring up and report your problem, which is then fixed almost instantaniously.

With Managed service, you must fill in online forms. If you are lucky you might recieve a reply the same day about when someone will have the time to fit in your pityful problem.

Thank Post

yep thats it

yep thats the sort of thing i am looking for keep up the contributions

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveJ2717uk View Post
    The only problem with the spread of BSF is there is no cure currently available
    No it is the same cure. You have to take all those in higher areas out, shoot them and burn the evidence. Stops the spread & destroys the rot.

Or the nuke from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

On the other hand, I have started sowing the seeds here. Mentioned in passing what has happened in other schools & said about how I wouldn't be around to rush to the rescue. They would have to have someone sent out & probably take a day. Teachers are gradually getting more and more shocked as I mention it especially when I go and turn on a set of speakers again & drop a comment about how it would work under BSF

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Joanne View Post
    when ICT is in house, you can ring up and report your problem, which is then fixed almost instantaniously.

With Managed service, you must fill in online forms. If you are lucky you might recieve a reply the same day about when someone will have the time to fit in your pityful problem.
    Sadly, the first is not always true (look, for example, at the signatures on here saying things like "if it was urgent I would have fixed it already").

Much will depend on management's current view of IT - if they can see that it is good and responsive then it may be easier to persuade them that BSF is not a good thing.

Thank Post

so get your points together

so what would you be putting on a handout, or a POSTER perhaps?
    what thing do you need to explain most to SMT, or governors given the opportunity ?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,888 Times in 1,169 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The biggest thing to give to SMT and Governors are examples of where investment in IT can impact on results, either through classroom work (the grate and glorious T&L), through online assessment (eLearning, independent learning, personalised learning), recording and reporting tools (collection and analysis of data, linking between MIS and VLE for real-time reporting), administration (central, searchable document storage solutions) and leadership (improved communication and collaboration between departments / peers / colleagues / external agencies).

HTH

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    well I suppose it would vary for each school.

However today the network went down and we think it could be a faulty switch.

Managed service would have got here and not really known anything because every network is different, you cant know them all inside out when it comes to things like that.

However, managed service would probably have software to locate said faulty switch and would probably be more efficient... hmmmm....

Thank Post
    I fail to see how an external company can ever compare to in-house support from trained, knowledgable individuals.

The who reason myself and the techie got these jobs was due to the fact that the school was so sick of dealing with a crappy outside company that they decided to actively employ in-house staff; hence, us.

People who work at a place every day know the site, know the ins and outs, know how it all works, know the staff, know their needs, can anticipate problems arising from past experiences of the site, etc etc.
    External company can never get to this level; the only way to do it would be to place the same employee of the E.C. on the same site/s each day.....

......hmmm, does thay ring a bell, or is it just me?

Thank Post
    From an IT managers perspective it's not just about the day to day running, but also in the being availbale to talk with staff and strategise how you can meet upcoming requirements before the teaching staff even realise they will need it. Design of IT suites, linked up planning with other school systems not only because no one else wants to do it, but because for each project even as small as an offic emove will involve technology.

If we are not in our schools, how will the non-technical be able to think technically?

DC

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast