+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
BSF Thread, What happens to Edugeek when we are all BSF Drones ? in United Kingdom (UK) Specific Forums; What happens to Edugeek when we are all BSF Drones ? We wouldn't need to come here asking for help ...
    Thank Post

What happens to Edugeek when we are all BSF Drones ?

What happens to Edugeek when we are all BSF Drones ?

We wouldn't need to come here asking for help as we would get that from the Managed Service Company..

We wouldn't come here complaining that something wasn't working as we would be bound by the company rules stopping us from discussing faults on an open forum..

So what will Edugeek become in 5 years when there are no Governemt School Network Managers around and very few free technicians?

The traffic will dry up and the ad funding as well

Thank Post
    In 2012, a crack technical unit was sent to oblivion by a government initiative for a reason they didn't fathom. These men and women promptly escaped from a maximum security firewall to the british underground. Today, still wanted by the government, they survive as technicians of fortune.
    If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire... The EG-Team.

3. 3 Thanks to Jake:

Gatt (20th February 2008), iatkinson (15th February 2008), robk (15th February 2008)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    rofl, I like it.

But remember there's a 'gap' between the first BSF schools funding drying up and the last schools being built (about 5 years I reckon). So there's always going to be about 66% of schools not under BSF at any one time. Even better 33% are going to be picking up the pieces after the BSF managed service has gone. If that wont fill the forum full of questions, I don't know what will.

This is assuming all post-BSF schools get out of there managed service contracts as soon as they possibly can of course.

Thank Post
    @Jake - lol, gave me a good chuckle!

I'm not sure what's happening with BSF in Wales (if anything) so we'll be here! I know I'm okay as we're soon to move to a PFI built school

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,271 Times in 1,047 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Hmm, assuming that BSF has the legs that is. We had in interesting discussion at BETT with several other company bosses there. It went along the lines of 'If all schools go to managed services and only 'approved' equipment\software makes it on to managed school networks what would be the point of the BETT show?' Teachers would have little or no say what goes on the network. If the managed service company refuses to support a product it isn't going on, be it hardware or software. BETT would collapse. As it is we are still going to be here, there are quite a few managed service companies who use us as their main source of technical info, and I would think that this will continue as school are a unique environment and their corporate help sheets would be quite ineffective against 1100 teenagers with a vague knowledge of IT and access to Google.
    tech support

Thank Post
    As has been mentioned, the roll out will be slow and you are forgetting that not all schools will be affected by BSF. What about all the Scottish schools? What about all the independent schools? What about academies?

You will also notice that more and more international people are joining... I envisage this area increasing. I also think that colleges, and possibly universities, will cotton on eventually too.

Thank Post

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Jake View Post
    In 2012, a crack technical unit was sent to oblivion by a government initiative

This is the government we're talking about, so I wouldn't be too worried as so far they have proved they couldn't organise a you know what in a brewery!

Is this like Mr Blair's "Education, Education, Education ........ Oh I've screwed up (again), so I'll resign and let some other poor sod take the flack!" initiative?

That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,346 Times in 744 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Is Dos_Box really Mr.T then?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I envisage EduGeek forums will be trimmed down to just 2 forum sections:

General Help. Example thread: "I've got this toner I need to change but there's a problem when I try to open the front ...." Automatic response from managed service: This is an unauthorised help source, call HQ immediately!

FFS: "Teachers keep telling me there are problems but I am powerless to solve them due to my hands being tied. Tightly. With steel rope. By the managed service."

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tech_guy View Post
    Is Dos_Box really Mr.T then?
    I Pity the fool!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ric_ View Post
    As has been mentioned, the roll out will be slow and you are forgetting that not all schools will be affected by BSF. What about all the Scottish schools? What about all the independent schools? What about academies?

You will also notice that more and more international people are joining... I envisage this area increasing. I also think that colleges, and possibly universities, will cotton on eventually too.
    What about FE - as ever, the forgotten bit of education! (For those who don't know, FE is where your secondary kids end up when they've failed their GCSEs and can't get a job :-)) I'd guess the one good thing about being forgotten is that BSF just passes us by.

Thank Post
    Maybe the dissident wing of Edugeek is already planning a simultaneous strike on Becta, Edd Balls and RM.

Viva la revolution.

Thank Post
    simple really, you goto post, get someone to check it, fill out the change control form, get it signed off, submit the post and wait 10 days for an indian tech to check and allow the post.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by strawberry View Post
    simple really, you goto post, get someone to check it, fill out the change control form, get it signed off, submit the post and wait 10 days for an indian tech to check and allow the post.
    Who told you about EduGeek v3?!?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by srochford View Post
    What about FE - as ever, the forgotten bit of education! (For those who don't know, FE is where your secondary kids end up when they've failed their GCSEs and can't get a job :-)) I'd guess the one good thing about being forgotten is that BSF just passes us by.
    Hrum, that's true. My dad works at a local college so perhaps he could get me a job there when the BSF steamroller runs on by. Only problem is that it's an agricultural college. Do tractors have on-board computers yet?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast