+ Post New Thread
BSF Thread, BSF Phase 1 in United Kingdom (UK) Specific Forums; Just been talking to a caretaker here who said he was with the surveyors walking around the school and they ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

BSF Phase 1

Just been talking to a caretaker here who said he was with the surveyors walking around the school and they said that our room along with surrounding areas are Phase 1 and will be demolished in the summer.
    So nobody has officially told us this, so what happens in the summer?
    They come in, whisk our servers away and wipe out the 3 fibre links we've got to remote parts of the building? What happens to the school IT come Sept?

Either this has not even been thought of or, more likely, BSF have it all planned out but why bother including us in the planning!

He also heard them say we have 9mil to refurb the school, but it's going to be a minimum of 5mil over that judging from what we saw. I'll expect my council tax to go up to pay for it then eh.

Thank Post
    Ouch

I know we're being subtly hit by BSF.. being told that we are only getting enough cash to "maintain the existing infrastructure"...

That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,342 Times in 741 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Jeez, I hate BSF. I hate this government. It all sucks.

Thank Post
    Don't assume they have it all worked out

I would point out to the Site Manager/Bursar or whoever that you have infrastructure that will be affected by the demolition and when will they be coming in to re-route it & relocate the servers? If you get a blank look in response you will know what the answer is

re Funding, the bad news (for the school) is they are more likely to prune bits out rather than overspend. That's how you end up with cleaners cupboards with no sink/water laid on, sound recording studios with no acoustic insulation and no staff room, no workrooms for staff, smaller classrooms etc etc...... but at least it will look impressive!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by broc View Post
    Don't assume they have it all worked out
    I would point out to the Site Manager/Bursar or whoever that you have infrastructure that will be affected by the demolition and when will they be coming in to re-route it & relocate the servers? If you get a blank look in response you will know what the answer is

Why should we be the ones to point it out? If it's a BSF operation it's up to them. I'm not gonna help the buggers out by making their job easier!

Thank Post
    Here's something interesting

http://www.kablenet.com/KE.nsf/Event...F?OpenDocument

Shame it costs money to attend...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MK-2 View Post
    Just been talking to a caretaker here who said he was with the surveyors walking around the school and they said that our room along with surrounding areas are Phase 1 and will be demolished in the summer.
    So nobody has officially told us this, so what happens in the summer?
    They come in, whisk our servers away and wipe out the 3 fibre links we've got to remote parts of the building? What happens to the school IT come Sept?

Either this has not even been thought of or, more likely, BSF have it all planned out but why bother including us in the planning!

He also heard them say we have 9mil to refurb the school, but it's going to be a minimum of 5mil over that judging from what we saw. I'll expect my council tax to go up to pay for it then eh.
    When they moved our servers and comms cabinets in the refurbishment they assessed the cabling from the server room and if the cable could be rerouted they did but if not they re ran the cables

All the rooms fed from the comms cabinet were redone so the old patch panels were ripped out and new ones put in..

We did try to save the old patch panels and cables and store them in the ceiling but the demolishers just destroyed everything...

As for our server room that was moved and the cables re routed..
    Last edited by Grommit; 15th February 2008 at 12:59 AM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MK-2 View Post
    Why should we be the ones to point it out? If it's a BSF operation it's up to them. I'm not gonna help the buggers out by making their job easier!
    I can really understand your sentiment.

But,

If you do tell them and they have missed it at least you can look smug......

If you don't, and the caretaker happens to mention to anyone he told you then you might get some stick....

I would rather be seen to be helpful wherever possible, even though you may have to do it with gritted teeth.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Just document what happens. That way if/when things go wrong, you can show the set of events that lead to the situation. I highly suggest photography as the method to use.

Also, after the fact, you could put your photo album online.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread

Thread Information