+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
BSF Thread, ICT Teachers finally find out what BSF means in United Kingdom (UK) Specific Forums; http://www.tes.co.uk/section/staffro.../&threadPage=1 Bless. No one told them anything?...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,993 Times in 932 Posts
    Blog Entries

ICT Teachers finally find out what BSF means

http://www.tes.co.uk/section/staffro.../&threadPage=1

Bless. No one told them anything?

Thank Post
    That post about the indian call centre to get a guy from upstairs to sort a paper jam is priceless.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Hows that going to be if those cables get cut again? Or there are other comms problems?

Thank Post
    On the up side perhaps this will mean a few teachers will start to appreciate what they have already.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    OK got through to stuff on edugeek forum but I still don't see any evidence that it means there are going to be cut backs in support staff. I just wonder if there is some scaremongering and over dramatisation being embedded here?

"Your will also lose your in house ICT Support Community and your School Network Manager." - why? can you provide soild evidence that this will happen in every case? I have to be honest and say that I just can't believe that support staff are going to get the bullet.
    met with disbelief. much the same as the earliest BSF posts here.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by contink View Post
    On the up side perhaps this will mean a few teachers will start to appreciate what they have already.
    Some will only really appreciate what they HAD, when it's gone

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by contink View Post
    Enters the fray singing "Don't it always seem to go, that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone."

Thank Post
    If the damn site would let me view posts when i'm logged onto it i'd post something but I'm getting this...

Code:
    An error occurred:  A potentially dangerous Request.Cookies value was detected from the client (SignOnAuth="...vS+aJTEoO6OnrDbQ==").

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,090 Times in 1,471 Posts
    I spoke to the dep head today - he is also responsible for ICTAC and was the IT co-ord in his previous school
    I know Dorset is a way down the BSF list but I was shocked that he had not heard anything about it and certainly knew nothing about the ICT issues
    He does now!

Thank Post

re: Teachers don't know about BSF

Quote Originally Posted by WITCH View Post
    I spoke to the dep head today - he is also responsible for ICTAC and was the IT co-ord in his previous school
    I know Dorset is a way down the BSF list but I was shocked that he had not heard anything about it and certainly knew nothing about the ICT issues
    He does now!
    Is this a case of the teachers, like IT techs, being treated like mushrooms perhaps? Or are they being selectively blind and deaf?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dos_Box View Post
    I do not understand you Dos_Box.. here is someone trying to start a ball rolling to stop the cull of ICT Managers and keep ICT In-House you defend the BSF ?!?! Why ?

It is not all doom and gloom however. Some companies will bend over backwards to accomodate you. But unfortunately it is too early to see which will provide the best service.

Why did you say that...? are you trying to sabotage any movement to stop the BSF .... Is your job that safe ?
    Last edited by Grommit; 12th February 2008 at 11:31 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Grommit View Post
    I do not understand you Dos_Box.. here is someone trying to start a ball rolling to stop the cull of ICT Managers and keep ICT In-House you defend the BSF ?!?! Why ?

It is not all doom and gloom however. Some companies will bend over backwards to accomodate you. But unfortunately it is too early to see which will provide the best service.

Why did you say that...? are you trying to sabotage any movement to stop the BSF .... Is your job that safe ?
    I think your being a bit OTT here grommit, there are definitely some really badly run school networks where BSF is going to be very welcome indeed.

I really wish there was some middle way, where schools that already adhere to accepted standards are recognised. The problem is really that BSF is such a blanket approach, all this rhetoric about 'no 2 contracts the same' just doesn't wash. Becta have already drawn up the standards that is required, if schools can meet the standard then leave them alone!.

13. 4 Thanks to CyberNerd:

GrumbleDook (12th February 2008), Oops_my_bad (15th February 2008), Ric_ (13th February 2008), webman (12th February 2008)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Grommit View Post
    Simple answer is because for many schools BSF will actually improve ICT provision in a big way.

Schools with very good network managers would be hit hardest under BSF as they would probably see a decrease in the quality if ICT support. Schools with bad network managers (or even no network manager) would see an increase in the quality of ICT support under BSF.

I do think however Dos_Box may be being slightly nieve with respect to the idea that BSF companies will bend over backwards to help schools. They may bend over backwards at the start - but as soon as they have some concrete data on how ICT support is being used in the schools they wil probably start to bend over backwards less and less. No profitable company can afford to bend over backwards for every customer - its simply not practicable.

I am watching the BSF closely, safe as I am in Wales (for now!)

Andrew

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    As had been mentioned. I do not like the idea of BSF ICT support, and the way it is going to affect some schools. Some schools have appalling in house IT support for a variety of reasons, and to deny this would be very naive.
    So for some it will be a great step up. For the rest however they really won't know what has hit them as corporate IT practices will reduce them to a level of frustration not seen since Windows 95 hit the classrooms.
    The TES posts also show just how in the dark the average teacher is about BSF. The loss of control of many aspects of their teaching enviroments will come as a huge shock for many I suspect. I am not advocating BSF, just presenting a reality for some.
    Last edited by Dos_Box; 12th February 2008 at 01:43 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dos_Box View Post
    The TES posts also show just how in the dark the average teacher is about BSF. The loss of control of many aspects of theor teaching enviroments will come as a huge shock for many I suspect.
    I've not met a single teacher yet outside of our SLT that knows anything about BSF. This is presumably to lay the groundwork for a "surprise! free goodies!" launch.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast