+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
BSF Thread, ICT Teachers finally find out what BSF means in United Kingdom (UK) Specific Forums; ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ashok View Post
    Hi all,

Apologies if this already covered, but could it not be possible to excude the ICT side of things from the whole BSF project based on the descretion of the LA and the school being revamped? One possible way to do this would be to have the school rebuild as per BSF guidelines but then have consultants who talk to the relavent IT services people at the school/establishment and implement the changes that are required as a one off rather than streamlining this as managed services. I think this may an alternative as it gives the schools the chance to update/refresh the equipment and infrastructure and still get to keep the IT in-house which will be better in terms of support as the whole team (NMs, senior ICT techs, ICT tech etc) are based on-site.

Ash.
    Any LA (or individual school) can choose to leave ICT outside of the BSF contract if they wish, as long as they don't want the BSF capital funding for ICT. At approx £1450 per student, this can amount to many millions per LA, typically £1m+ for each medium sized secondary school. In reality few LAs (or schools) will leave it out. If they want the BSF ICT funding, they have to work within the framework laid down by Partnership for Schools, and a key element of this is managed ICT services.

There is growing evidence to suggest that LAs can have a major part to play in the delivery of the managed service if they have the resources & willpower to convince PfS they can deliver. In this respect they will be treated as any other commercial organisation.

Thank Post
    Barnsley council who, formed a joint venture company with Bull Information Systems for all their ICT, have put in place measures to allow their current provider to enter the bidding process:

Linky

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by webman View Post
    Woo, I get top billing! Thankee

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatt View Post
    Like what?
    I prefer simplicity - B*ggering Schools for the Future

Not that imaginative, yet conveys the essence effectively.

Yup - Money talks, by refusing to give the funding if schools don't want a managed service, they're basically blackmailing the Head to give in.

I wonder how long it will be before the gov takes all management out of a school and has it all centrally controlled so no decisions can be made by those who actually know what the school needs... that'd also save money paying the management salaries.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,828 Times in 1,135 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Diello View Post
    Yup - Money talks, by refusing to give the funding if schools don't want a managed service, they're basically blackmailing the Head to give in.
    Cnsidering the number of times it has been the Head that has failed to use money allocated for IT for that purpose, or who have run rough-shod over Bursars / Business Managers when it comes to sustainability ... people wonder why Govt don't trust schools with money?

If there were more standards in place (FMSiS is a start) thing might have been better.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumbleDook View Post
    people wonder why Govt don't trust schools with money?

If there were more standards in place (FMSiS is a start) thing might have been better.
    Yes Minister

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by steve View Post
    Barnsley council who, formed a joint venture company with Bull Information Systems for all their ICT, have put in place measures to allow their current provider to enter the bidding process:

Linky
    Hmm, seeing that the Barnsley ICT team had already been tuped into the new Venture Company that does the area's ICT and Bull I.S own 80% of the subsequent company compared to Barnsley Council's 20% it's not quite the same thing.

In effect it's a separate company already that sells services to schools that now has to be putting in a bid for the BSF contract, otherwise I imagine it will lose a lot of it's existing client base?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by conehead View Post
    In effect it's a separate company already that sells services to schools that now has to be putting in a bid for the BSF contract, otherwise I imagine it will lose a lot of it's existing client base?
    Its in both Bull and Barnsley councils interest to put a bid in as they would loose out on the revenue from the venture company, and also if they loose the contract for schools they'll probably have to loose staff - no tuping I'll bet from the venture company to the BSF company.

It does go to show where there is a willingness to keep the current provider a part of the bidding process, there are options open.

This does imply the ICT bidder doesn't have to be part of the main BSF bid - I'm sure I've read this somewhere but will have to read up on it again.
    Last edited by steve; 19th February 2008 at 06:31 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by steve View Post

This does imply the ICT bidder doesn't have to be part of the main BSF bid - I'm sure I've read this somewhere but will have to read up on it again.
    My understanding on this is that any potential ICT supplier must be part of a 'consortium' bidding for the whole BSF business. I don't think PfS will allow ICT to be de-coupled. Successful bidders will form a partnership with the LA (LEP).

Making it an 'all in one' bid can result in a solution which has the best building proposals with the worst ICT solution & vice versa. This is why the ICT Draft output specification is so vital in the bidding process as in theory it should ensure all ICT solutions proposed are up to a minimum standard acceptable to the schools.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by broc View Post
    My understanding on this is that any potential ICT supplier must be part of a 'consortium' bidding for the whole BSF business. I don't think PfS will allow ICT to be de-coupled. Successful bidders will form a partnership with the LA (LEP).
    Yep, you're right, I must have dreamt (nightmared) it. Read it here on teachernet

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345