+ Post New Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
Results 76 to 83 of 83
BSF Thread, BSF & TUPE in United Kingdom (UK) Specific Forums; Originally Posted by Grommit So you can access your servers as Domain Admin and work on the Servers, File, Exchange ...
  1. #76
    Tony_Mc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    London
    Posts
    184
    Thank Post
    40
    Thanked 17 Times in 15 Posts
    Rep Power
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by Grommit View Post
    So you can access your servers as Domain Admin and work on the Servers, File, Exchange and ISA ?
    yes.

    I can.

  2. #77
    mrforgetful's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    1,639
    Thank Post
    7
    Thanked 15 Times in 15 Posts
    Rep Power
    22
    I think the big unknown right now though, is fair enough for people who've gone now it's worked out, but when the next phases move across, are they going to find there are too many people...

  3. #78
    Grommit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Weston-super-Mare
    Posts
    1,335
    Thank Post
    31
    Thanked 54 Times in 31 Posts
    Rep Power
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony_Mc View Post
    yes.

    I can.

    Well that isn't a managed service then is it? as you are still managing the servers...

    Which borough are you by the way ?

  4. #79

    localzuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Minehead
    Posts
    17,853
    Thank Post
    518
    Thanked 2,481 Times in 1,924 Posts
    Blog Entries
    24
    Rep Power
    837
    Quote Originally Posted by Grommit View Post
    Well that isn't a managed service then is it? as you are still managing the servers...

    Which borough are you by the way ?
    You seem to have 'managed service' confused. Managed service simply means a service provided entirely by an external organisation (be that a private company or by an LEA IT dept). He is now employed by a private company, which is providing a managed IT service to the school he is based at.

  5. #80
    Tony_Mc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    London
    Posts
    184
    Thank Post
    40
    Thanked 17 Times in 15 Posts
    Rep Power
    14
    Haringey.

    I am starting to feel that no matter what I say you will find fault and not take the honest opinion of someone who is very happy in the way things have gone.

    My school is part of the BSF, what was my choice?

    1. Look for a new job incase I didn't like the way things ran.

    2. Stay with it and see how things work out and hope I like it.

    I am glad I ran with number 2.

    Having a secure job in this time is a great thing.

    Tony

  6. #81

    GrumbleDook's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Gosport, Hampshire
    Posts
    9,950
    Thank Post
    1,345
    Thanked 1,799 Times in 1,117 Posts
    Blog Entries
    19
    Rep Power
    597
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    You seem to have 'managed service' confused. Managed service simply means a service provided entirely by an external organisation (be that a private company or by an LEA IT dept). He is now employed by a private company, which is providing a managed IT service to the school he is based at.
    A managed service doesn't even have to mean that. If you pay a company to do your network infrastructure for you (perhaps a Cisco premium partners to deal with your Layer 4 core and layer 3 edge devices, the telephone system, PIX, etc) and you basically tell them what you want and need ... they do the work (often remotely if we are talking about config changes) then that is a managed service.

    If you host your VLE with a company (or purchase on in) and they do and the maintenance, upgrades, backups, etc ... then that is a partially managed service.

    It is not uncommon to do this. The reason some complain is that the BSF version folk get TUPEd across (LA and school choice usually on political or financial grounds) and that there is limited say in which companies provide the managed services, how it is setup and rolled out, or the ability to change things if they are not happy ... mainly down to the length of the contract and the penalties involved).

    However, there are schools who are happy with it and have adapted. There are schools that aren't ... but yep, (@Tony_Mc) some people will *always* find fault and ignore any positive things. I'd be interested to hear how the teachers, students and senior manglement feel about it all too.

  7. #82
    wagnerk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Northants
    Posts
    807
    Thank Post
    64
    Thanked 166 Times in 135 Posts
    Rep Power
    46
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumbleDook View Post
    ...I'd be interested to hear how the teachers, students and senior manglement feel about it all too.
    Same here

    -ken

  8. #83
    Grommit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Weston-super-Mare
    Posts
    1,335
    Thank Post
    31
    Thanked 54 Times in 31 Posts
    Rep Power
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony_Mc View Post
    Haringey.

    I am starting to feel that no matter what I say you will find fault and not take the honest opinion of someone who is very happy in the way things have gone.

    My school is part of the BSF, what was my choice?

    1. Look for a new job incase I didn't like the way things ran.

    2. Stay with it and see how things work out and hope I like it.

    I am glad I ran with number 2.

    Having a secure job in this time is a great thing.

    Tony
    Well I am glad you are happy..... but as I see from the RM site it is still early days in your borough and they have just set up an interim service to secondary and special schools.. until the proper Manged Service Delivery systems are put in place..

    And as you so rightly say in point 2 most of us would stick around and see what happens at our own schools.. I would...

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •